Film Breakdown: Why The Bills Struggle In The Red Zone and How They Can Fix It

JohnNord

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t know about that.  It’s not like they have been dropping passes or anything.  Teams are dropping 7 in coverage including 4 at the goal line so there’s not a lot they can do.  

The lack of running game is what hurts them

The lack of better O line blocking coupled with mediocre backs certainly doesn’t help. Opposing D coordinators are picking their poison…..because they know it’s not deadly.

Also, the league always catch up to new players and dare them to win from a disadvantage.

While I hope to see Daboll and Co figure stuff out this year it would be nice to get better o linemen ( guard/center?)and another big bodied target for the RZ.  Josh is under a lot of pressure and rarely has a clean pocket AND our run blocking is meh at best.

I think we have 11 games to go to work on the run besides what everyone else here is suggesting..... We shouldn't abandon the run and we should work hard on it.

And I think the Bills can draft OL, we just missed on one guy for whatever reason. I expect a good sound starter to be had in the second round this year.....(if there is one to be had. I feel we want to go DT then OG/C with the top two picks but the draft might not cooperate. Maybe we go C/OG, then DT? Or something like that.... Sometimes a perennial Pro Bowler can be had at pick 30 plus......)

Anyway....I think the main answer will be found from improved line play....and that our OL has a lot of potential to improve this year. Everybody is still learning about who they're playing next to, etc. We have to find run calls that our players can win at in their new positions. We need to practice and execute.

3 hours ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Stop getting cute with the play calling in the redzone

This ...and getting cute with the overall game plans, benching guys and playing guys that haven’t been active in weeks.

These guys aren’t interchangeable  puzzle pieces.  They’re human beings that play with emotion, passion and get into a rhythm. Pick your best players, your best plays and execute better than the other guy. 

Edited by Dan

Josh is missing a few of those opportunities as well. Sanders was open to the left on a dig route a few weeks ago and the ball was thrown off target. Against the Titans Diggs was open on a similar route and again Allen missed the throw low and away. FGs were the result of both drives.

• Like (+1) 1

I finally put the Tennessee game on for a rewatch....It is very difficult to watch..... We forced a punt on Tennessee 's first possession and it flips me out our defense does not force another one all game. Everyone has been talking about our current red-zone short-comings but I wonder what's the winning percentage of a defense that forces only one punt?

And why was no one covering AJ Brown? It was kind of crazy. The whole second half....Was our corner burnt that bad over and over? It wasn't as if he just caught it and was tackled. He caught it and kept on rumbling down the field. Over and over. I don't think we can beat Tampa if that's the best our D can do (versus a dangerous offense). We couldn't fluster the QB at all either.... I know Henry got a lot of yards but most came on two carries and there was probably holds on both of them. I think our defense stood tall and faced Henry very well. It was Brown that killed us. Is that the best we can do? The only way to stop Henry is leave Brown uncovered? I sure hope not.

Back to the offense and I just watched our offense fail to get the TD. If I had to put our shortcomings on why we didn't score I'd have to say execution. Josh had a lot of time but was running much of it with the ball down..... When did Josh get not good at moving to his left? I thought he played well last season doing that.... I think it was execution, but also you got to give the defense credit for what seemed to be everyone covered up. We had a third and three and couldn't make it....

You know who had a great game?

Tremaine Edmunds.

Maybe he didn't make big plays but here is a guy who can stand toe to toe with a back like Derrick Henry and win.

The reason I think the Bills last is because they couldn't be mentally sharp enough after the KC win. They let down and there was nothing we could do about it.... They had better find their A-game and execute better for the rest of the year.

Win or lose, every game is a teaching moment, but maybe losing teaches more.

I hope this loss made us a better team and we go and kick Tampa's ass twice in a row.....

Go Bills!

I finally put the Tennessee game on for a rewatch....It is very difficult to watch..... We forced a punt on Tennessee 's first possession and it flips me out our defense does not force another one all game. Everyone has been talking about our current red-zone short-comings but I wonder what's the winning percentage of a defense that forces only one punt?

And why was no one covering AJ Brown? It was kind of crazy. The whole second half....Was our corner burnt that bad over and over? It wasn't as if he just caught it and was tackled. He caught it and kept on rumbling down the field. Over and over. I don't think we can beat Tampa if that's the best our D can do (versus a dangerous offense). We couldn't fluster the QB at all either.... I know Henry got a lot of yards but most came on two carries and there was probably holds on both of them. I think our defense stood tall and faced Henry very well. It was Brown that killed us. Is that the best we can do? The only way to stop Henry is leave Brown uncovered? I sure hope not.

Back to the offense and I just watched our offense fail to get the TD. If I had to put our shortcomings on why we didn't score I'd have to say execution. Josh had a lot of time but was running much of it with the ball down..... When did Josh get not good at moving to his left? I thought he played well last season doing that.... I think it was execution, but also you got to give the defense credit for what seemed to be everyone covered up. We had a third and three and couldn't make it....

You know who had a great game?

Tremaine Edmunds.

Maybe he didn't make big plays but here is a guy who can stand toe to toe with a back like Derrick Henry and win.

The reason I think the Bills last is because they couldn't be mentally sharp enough after the KC win. They let down and there was nothing we could do about it.... They had better find their A-game and execute better for the rest of the year.

Win or lose, every game is a teaching moment, but maybe losing teaches more.

I hope this loss made us a better team and we go and kick Tampa's ass twice in a row.....

Go Bills!

Rewatch conclusion vs. Tennessee.... Offense scored over thirty, held the ball for nearly 33 minutes I think the defense needed to do more. Two punts and an interception isn't good enough.  Zero sacks, zero FFs, very few QB hits (I know I saw one Rousseau.)  Taylor Lebanese goes out and we do nothing. ... Milano one solo tackle.....that's it.....

LOL, IDK?  Maybe 30 isn't enough with all the rule changes?

Allen probably got to greedy in the fourth quarter...... (sigh....     : (

Meh..... we got destroyed on a QB sneak. Did we know we can't really execute that play?  I don't think so. We somehow turned this game into a battle of six inches and we called a man up play for six inches and we got killed. Dawkins got killed. Feliciano could have had more push. Allen slipped. and we lose the game. Should we have turned it into a play where Allen has choices? IDK?

This absolutely happened (I think?) LOL

!

What I think the Bills did was not go big when the Titans entered our redzone. At minimum, we probably should have switched Klein in for Taron. Titans scored some easy TDs from within our redzone running. Everyone is focusing on our Red Zone offense but I think our defense deserves to be under the microscope even moreso for the titans game.

And let's not forget the Bills are 1-2 versus better teams.....Both units still need to improve and quite a bit so if we are to beat the NFC winning powerhouse.

I definitely think we can but we have to improve everywhere still. Everywhere.

Go Bills!

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

A very good breakdown by Erik Turner from Cover 1 sharing some of the issues with the Bills offense inside the red zone.

The Bills are very good in the low red zone close to goal line but have had issues further out.  

Turner explains that defenses are playing a soft zone with a light box and more defenders to play the pass.  

Defensive Linemen are wisely not rushing upfield and instead are keying in on Allen.   The obvious answer here is to run the ball against a light box but the offensive line/running backs haven’t been good enough to win matchups.  Defenses are confident their line or mid-level defenders can make a play against the run.  This explains why so many drives have stalled this year.  

Here’s what the Bills need to do according to Turner:

1. Ditch the RPO’s near the goal one and call more drop back passes.

2. Daboll needs to scheme up more zone beater routes toward the goal one.

3. Josh needs to improve the accuracy on his his seam throws and pull the trigger when them he sees and opening.
4. Josh and his teammates need to win in the outside of the endzone and not in the congested middle of the field.  

No reason to be concerned yet.  He thinks the Bills have a chance to get this right with better play-calling concepts.

One of the best breakdowns I’ve seen as of late:

Teams are no fear in our RB'S , neither guy is starting material and should be replaced.  This was a problem last season and its still a problem because we have done nothing to correct.  

28 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Teams are no fear in our RB'S , neither guy is starting material and should be replaced.  This was a problem last season and its still a problem because we have done nothing to correct.  

Singletary is averaging 5.2 yards/carry this season.

In 2020, Singletary (687) and Moss (481)  combined for 1168 rushing yards on a team that passed on 59% of their plays.

Buffalo had the #2 scoring offense in the NFL last year and is currently #2 in the NFL for this season.

There is no problem with our running backs.

• Agree 1

the d getting trucked is my biggest concern, i really think there was a schematic/personnel issue vs Tenn.

On O in the red zone, which frankly if we fixed we would be 6-0 and have a crazy advantage in the playoffs.  my main criticism of daboll is something im gonna trot out again, they gets too clever by half.  we have so many ways to beat teams and so many wrinkles on O that dabol falls in love with his toys and doesn't have enough go to basic sets.  our plays in the redzone take just too long to develop, quick slants and fades and even draws out of shotgun work well around the NFL, but they have to be executed really quickly and with precision.  part of it is gonna be JA17 holding the ball and processing, but some more boring straight forward stuff will keep the D honest and lower the degree of difficulty for us.  at this point i wonder if our OC can change his spots enough.  reminds me of the 91 superbowl when just a few more running plays could have lead to a walk away victory, but Kelly/our O was just too in love w the pass.

The Knox to Allen 2 pt play was very creative, I think McKenzie was involved as well, I know Knox was hurt and not available at the end of the game, but I suspect there are more wrinkles to that red zone scheme.  With the mediocrity of the Bills OL, would going with that type of scheme be a better choice. 

Also would like to see more Davis and Kumerow inside the 10, they are our biggest wideouts, and have the size to high point db's

Or…they could simply do what I’ve watched countless teams do against us for decades. Fake an all out run to the left, bootleg your QB out to the right, and have your TE leak out across the back of the end zone from the left to right. The TE is WIDE OPEN every time a team runs that play. It’s worked forever and apparently always will.

• Like (+1) 1

One major disadvantage with the RPO is that the O-Line needs to stay within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage or they will called as an ineligible player downfield if Allen chooses to pass.   This really hurts the running plays where every O-lineman must be well positioned for pass protection (i.e. no pulling guards) and defenses are countering with just 6 in the box.  

I agree with the Cover 1 guy that we need to vary our looks a little better with some pure running plays called to exploit the 6-in-the-box defences.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Singletary is averaging 5.2 yards/carry this season.

In 2020, Singletary (687) and Moss (481)  combined for 1168 rushing yards on a team that passed on 59% of their plays.

Buffalo had the #2 scoring offense in the NFL last year and is currently #2 in the NFL for this season.

There is no problem with our running backs.

Thursday night proved that, when a great OL in Cleveland allowed an undrafted running back to rush for almost 150 yards in his first starts.  

The problem is the blocking…not the backs

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The only issue I have is that ditching rpos in the red zone is not a good idea 

Historically rpos have always been zone beaters and highly effective in the red zone.. you just need to use Red zone specific concepts 

I think it's something that should absolutely be incorporated around the goal line

Totally agree. I make him dead wrong on that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.