Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I have it on msg on Directv through the center ice free preview right now

As a cap floor team right now, we’re at a point where fans shouldn’t worry one bit about an excessive contract. That deal actually helps the team at this point. 

This wasn’t one of the games being exclusively broadcast on ESPN + (I can see how my post was confusing though).

They mentioned it during the game broadcast today. I think the Boston game coming up is the first one exclusively on ESPN +.

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Whoops!  Upon further review, I realize I know the Proclaimers song, but only since I first heard it linked to the Molson Export commercial.  The only one I truly knew was 'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet', BTO, a staple of Canadian classic rock, and only a half step behind 'Takin' Care of Business', which is a staple at Canadian wedding receptions. 😁

You don't know "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince?

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

This wasn’t one of the games being exclusively broadcast on ESPN + (I can see how my post was confusing though).

They mentioned it during the game broadcast today. I think the Boston game coming up is the first one exclusively on ESPN +.

I live in Phoenix and rarely get to see a Sabres game. Usually have to go to a bar to watch the Bill's. Just before the Bill's season started I bought a TV box called, Superbox SP2 pro with Wi-Fi.  It cost $300 from Walmart online. Absolutely no fees for any of 1000 channels I get. I get Redzone, NFL game pass, all the hockey games being played, all the movie channels that cable offers.  I won't be missing to many games from now on. What I've saved so far from not having to go to a bar and watch the games has paid for itself.  If you have good Wi-Fi and are sick of the cable companies I strongly recommend this box.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:07 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I worry that some people out there actually think the team is actually going to keep this going. Enjoy it now folks while you can, this is still going to be a very bumpy season. Hopefully we are finally seeing the building blocks. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/16/2021 at 8:04 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

The Pegulas don't play the games. They already did their job flushing Botterill out. Fixing the team is not a flipping a switch. Just be patient.

They did their job hiring Botterill and sitting there while he did (more) damage in the first place (as well as Housley, refusing to fire him while funding his wife's silly Senate campaign).  They actually gave Botterill a vote of confidence and were prepared to retain him, only until Krueger made some sort of powerplay, they demanded the entire hockey staff must be fired, and Botterill wouldnt do it (but lackey from the Jr Sabres Kevyn Adyms was more than willing.....

So Kruger, another disaster mistake.  They actually made that guy the 4th highest paid coach in the NHL with term when they hired him.  

They dont play the games, but man.  They have made terrible decisions.  I am about 0% convinced about Adams and the current front office at this point. 

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

They did their job hiring Botterill and sitting there while he did (more) damage in the first place (as well as Housley, refusing to fire him while funding his wife's silly Senate campaign).  They actually gave Botterill a vote of confidence and were prepared to retain him, only until Krueger made some sort of powerplay, they demanded the entire hockey staff must be fired, and Botterill wouldnt do it (but lackey from the Jr Sabres Kevyn Adyms was more than willing.....

So Kruger, another disaster mistake.  They actually made that guy the 4th highest paid coach in the NHL with term when they hired him.  

They dont play the games, but man.  They have made terrible decisions.  I am about 0% convinced about Adams and the current front office at this point. 

I know it's tough to have faith in Adams. I do think they have found their coach. I think Granato is going to be good. He's got them playing exciting hockey. I don't expect playoffs but I would be happy if they play like this all year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Lackey from the Jr. Sabres? Well ok then.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Base things on what you see happening, not on what happened. The Pegulas were screwing up everything with the Bills, until they hired Sean McDermott. Skill or dumb luck, it doesn't matter how he landed here. Same with the Sabres. Many many bad decisions. But I think Adams is going to get this on the right path at the very least. In fact the Sabres are very much following the Bills playbook: get rid of the locker room lawyers and cancers and start fresh with young and hungry players that will give 110%. Then unlock veteran leadership in Kyle Okposo and Zemgus Girgensons. This team is no accident. Granato is the perfect coach for this team.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Lackey from the Jr. Sabres? Well ok then.

So Brandon Beane is just a yes-man for McDermott?

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I worry that some people out there actually think the team is actually going to keep this going. Enjoy it now folks while you can, this is still going to be a very bumpy season. Hopefully we are finally seeing the building blocks. 

See above tweet. There's no patting themselves on the back for getting to 2-0.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

See above tweet. There's no patting themselves on the back for getting to 2-0.

I'm talking specifically about the fans though.  They're going to struggle at times and I'm not looking forward to a lot of "the sky is falling" style comments when that does happen.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Basically, yes.  Beane came after McDermott, hand-picked for being willing to work in cohesion.  It works out great

No doubt, that is what the Pegulas were going for with the Sabres.  The Bills' model was working, so they decided to empower the head coach at the top of the Hockey department (as we see in the NFL).  The problem is, NHL coaches are all temporary mercenaries, whose time runs out as quick as it starts, with very few exceptions.  And the guy they empowered was completely out of his depth.

NHL front offices/ops are a bit more tricky than the NFL.  In the NHL, you are scouting 18 year old players across the world playing against/with apples to oranges competition.  You need to properly develop.  You also have a rigid, unforgiving salary cap where mistakes are amplified.  In the NFL you can churn the whole organization in 1-2 years, grabbing several starters in 1 draft class.

Adams, I have my doubts.  He has zero NHL executive experience, and if he hit the streets now, he would get Zero offers or probably zero interviews to be a GM for any NHL team.  He has been GM for 16? months now and brought the worst or second-worst team in franchise history... While the 2-0-0 start is encouraging, this team will also contend for worst in franchise history.  He neglected the goaltender position since he got the job (did they even interview anybody for that?).

I guess I can be patient and wait 5 years or however long it takes to definitively declare 'failure'.  I would be much more comfortable being patient if the team was being run by somebody with some track-record.

Edited by May Day 10

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Depends. Is there a Jr. Bills program where Beane served his lackey apprenticeship?

Edited by K-9

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I am sad I missed Cody Eakin's goal song.  What goal song will we hear first: Eakins 2nd or Skinner's first?

Let’s hope it’s Eakin. I mean, have you heard Skinner’s goal song?

37 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm talking specifically about the fans though.  They're going to struggle at times and I'm not looking forward to a lot of "the sky is falling" style comments when that does happen.

I don't think they will struggle. They might lose games but it won't be for lack of effort. Hustle is a skill and these guys hustle. I've watched nearly every Sabres game for the last 20+ years and I haven't seen this level of effort since 2005. Teams that play the Sabres will have to skate with them to beat them.

35 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Depends. Is there a Jr. Bills program where Beane served his lackey apprenticeship?

Answer me honestly: Have you watched these two games? Not highlights, not looking at a box score. Watched all 60 minutes.

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think they will struggle. They might lose games but it won't be for lack of effort. Hustle is a skill and these guys hustle. I've watched nearly every Sabres game for the last 20+ years and I haven't seen this level of effort since 2005. Teams that play the Sabres will have to skate with them to beat them.

Answer me honestly: Have you watched these two games? Not highlights, not looking at a box score. Watched all 60 minutes.

What would watching 2 hockey games tell us about Adams qualifications as a GM that we don't already know?

They jumped off the page in Kruger's 1st home game and blew a New Jersey team (who on paper loaded up) right out of the building.  That was off of winning at Pittsburgh opening night.   They started off like 9-2-1.  

Its a long season.  The two games were encouraging (I watched most of the Montreal game).  

Just now, May Day 10 said:

They jumped off the page in Kruger's 1st home game and blew a New Jersey team (who on paper loaded up) right out of the building.  That was off of winning at Pittsburgh opening night.   They started off like 9-2-1.  

Its a long season.  The two games were encouraging (I watched most of the Montreal game).  

Yup.  Hot starts have been a Sabres tradition during this era of suckitude.  

I think the only thing we can go on is the style of play is different.  The pressure they're generating on the forecheck, the puck movement with these short passes (looks like they're effectively trying to create mini 2 on 1s all over the ice), the odd man rushes being generated, the fast transition game, and crashing the net for rebounds all stand out to me as major positives and distinct changes in philosophy as compared to Kruger's team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Positions held to date, years of experience in prior roles, job descriptions, duties.  Ya know, his resume.  

Right. Just wanted to be on the same page. In short: first time GM, internal hire. Shorthand for "doesn't know what he's doing/brown noser," right?

His first three big decisions: 1) Trade away Sabres most talented players. 2) Hire a new coach. 3) Deal with Eichel situation.

On #1, he actually got decent value for Risto and Reinhart. But why did he do it? Why did McDermott ship Sammy Watkins and Marcel Dareus out?  Is this an analogy?

On #2, he decided to go with a first-time coach, albeit with a solid resume working with young talent, rather than making a name hire that some people wanted. That is sticking his neck out.

On #3, Adams and the Sabres have been pilloried in the hockey press for the handling of the Eichel situation. But all that media stuff is pretty one-sided toward Eichel. Probably because 90% of it is being leaked by Jack's agent. That's how his surgeon just shows up on Elliott Freidmann's podcast to talk about how awesome artificial disk surgery is.

This is where I think Adam is proving himself. He is under immense pressure from the press and other NHL GM's but he hasn't caved. He could have easily taken a bag of pucks for Eichel just to have this mess over. Instead he's made it clear to everyone that 1) Eichel will not be traded for anything less than fair value, 2) The Sabres will not assume the risk of an unapproved surgery and 3) The NHLPA CBA gives the Sabres all the rights here.

It's too early to judge his drafting since he's only had one draft. And everyone is so unimpressed with being 2-0 (including beating the Stanley Cup runner up 5-1) because it's just 2 games. But keep in mind most hockey pundits called the Sabres an "AHL roster" that would be lucky to win 10 games. But here they are at 2-0. And the goalies who were rated the worst combo in the NHL have a .962 save %!

So if you ask me he's doing pretty good so far for first time GM and internal hire. 

• Like (+1) 1

He had no choice but to send Risto and Reinhart (and Eichel) out.  Due to organizational ineptitude, they walked Reinhart right to his UFA year (they are doing the same with Dahlin).  They also did the same with Ullmark leaving them with zero goalies.   Risto's (who seemed at the point of malaise here in this situation) return was OK I guess, although 1st round picks this year weren't worth much, especially looking at the Sabres' threadbare scouting staff and lack of data last season.  Reinhart's deal surprised me, I thought they could get more for him.

We will see how the Eichel thing pans out.  Common sense says he has the least value right now because any contending team doesnt have the cap room and doesnt want to wait until rehab is done.  Maybe Im wrong.  

Don Granato doesnt move the needle for me.  Happy for him to get a chance, but if/when the Sabres ever get good, he should be long-gone.  One of the Sabres' problems and miscalculations is, they always seem to be looking for a life-partner in a head coach.  These guys are thrown away all the time based on the whims of the players and flipped as a motivational tool.

Also, with development, they have another coach in Rochester with a rather dubious resume (Appert), and also just promoted everyone from the Harborcenter/Jr Sabres as their development staff (Mair, Ellis, Kennedy, etc).

This all has a huge Bills 2000 vibe to it.  An inner trusted circle, while the Earth turns and the benchmark of success is a 'team that tries'.

The 2 wins are nice, and its nice to see Okposo play like ovechkin for a couple games... but the crowds of about 5-6K speak volumes of the damage done and the amount of buzz around this team.  There is a lack of talent.    They are going to need to keep getting results, but I feel like we are going to go through some more bizarre ineptitude like failing to score more than 2 goals in a game for an entire month and stuff like that.

I really do hope they succeed.  Honestly.  I just see no signs of it.  I was a season ticket holder for over 20 years up until last year.  Its terrible, they have crushed my will as a fan.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

He had no choice but to send Risto and Reinhart (and Eichel) out.  Due to organizational ineptitude, they walked Reinhart right to his UFA year (they are doing the same with Dahlin).  They also did the same with Ullmark leaving them with zero goalies.   Risto's (who seemed at the point of malaise here in this situation) return was OK I guess, although 1st round picks this year weren't worth much, especially looking at the Sabres' threadbare scouting staff and lack of data last season.  Reinhart's deal surprised me, I thought they could get more for him.

We will see how the Eichel thing pans out.  Common sense says he has the least value right now because any contending team doesnt have the cap room and doesnt want to wait until rehab is done.  Maybe Im wrong.  

Don Granato doesnt move the needle for me.  Happy for him to get a chance, but if/when the Sabres ever get good, he should be long-gone.  One of the Sabres' problems and miscalculations is, they always seem to be looking for a life-partner in a head coach.  These guys are thrown away all the time based on the whims of the players and flipped as a motivational tool.

Also, with development, they have another coach in Rochester with a rather dubious resume (Appert), and also just promoted everyone from the Harborcenter/Jr Sabres as their development staff (Mair, Ellis, Kennedy, etc).

This all has a huge Bills 2000 vibe to it.  An inner trusted circle, while the Earth turns and the benchmark of success is a 'team that tries'.

The 2 wins are nice, and its nice to see Okposo play like ovechkin for a couple games... but the crowds of about 5-6K speak volumes of the damage done and the amount of buzz around this team.  They are going to need to keep getting results, but I feel like we are going to go through some more bizarre ineptitude like failing to score more than 2 goals in a game for an entire month and stuff like that.

I really do hope they succeed.  Honestly.  I just see no signs of it.

Certainly sounds like it will be easy to exceed your expectations.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Promo, I think you’re arguing with the wrong person on this. I was making a sarcastic remark to May Day 10’s criticism of KA as a lackey to the Pegulas in charge of the Junior Sabres.

I’ve watched all 125 minutes, plus the shootout. Loving it so far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

The 2 wins are nice, and its nice to see Okposo play like ovechkin for a couple games... but the crowds of about 5-6K speak volumes of the damage done and the amount of buzz around this team.  There is a lack of talent.    They are going to need to keep getting results, but I feel like we are going to go through some more bizarre ineptitude like failing to score more than 2 goals in a game for an entire month and stuff like that.

I really do hope they succeed.  Honestly.  I just see no signs of it.  I was a season ticket holder for over 20 years up until last year.  Its terrible, they have crushed my will as a fan.

They probably will have trouble scoring some nights and not likely going to be a playoff team this year. Most people weren't expecting that. My hope is they continue to play like they have in the first 2 games. Watching the young players grow is what this year is about. I'm tired of the scoreboard watching fans of this team. 

25 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Great job in the third period. Team has been a lot of fun to watch so far. 

They are exciting to watch. It's too bad so many only look at results and have no interest in watching the players grow. For those that have given up on them, don't bother coming back we don't need you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

They are exciting to watch. It's too bad so many only look at results and have no interest in watching the players grow. For those that have given up on them, don't bother coming back we don't need you. 

It isnt fair to criticize Sabres fans for being disenfranchised at this point.  To answer your Bills question, the Bills situation was much different.  While it was infuriating at times during the days of juggling Russ Brandon around the front office, they at least were able to remain pretty average and relevant.  Outside of maybe 2 seasons in the drought, they never really bottomed out (and 1 of those seasons was really early in said drought).

The Sabres keep carving out new lows.  They have been the worst team in the NHL 4 (or is it 5?) times in the past 7 seasons.  They have shown very little urgency on the ownership side to get it right and make significant change (or at least change that includes bona fide NHL experience and credibility).  The NHL as an 82 game slog also is a lot harder to stay engaged in than an NFL season.  Meaningless NHL games are the worst entertainment product post-fighting era.  I was a 20 year STH and would rarely miss any game from about 1987-2013.  I just cannot justify the >$100 for one meaningless, boring NHL game after another, let-alone the 3 hour time investment.

So this start is encouraging.  I like how they have played.  I really like the idea of Okposo's re-birth.  Most of the performers so far are veterans who probably arent in the long term plans (Okposo, Girgensons, Anderson, Tokarski), but id say Tage Thompson has stood out from what I have seen.  If nothing else, hopefully this can reset the toxic culture and cloud that has enveloped this organization.  It'll be interesting to see how they look against Boston.  I am still skeptical though as they have looked sharp at the beginning other seasons only to carve new lows.  It would be amazing if they can sustain this.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It isnt fair to criticize Sabres fans for being disenfranchised at this point.  To answer your Bills question, the Bills situation was much different.  While it was infuriating at times during the days of juggling Russ Brandon around the front office, they at least were able to remain pretty average and relevant.  Outside of maybe 2 seasons in the drought, they never really bottomed out (and 1 of those seasons was really early in said drought).

The Sabres keep carving out new lows.  They have been the worst team in the NHL 4 (or is it 5?) times in the past 7 seasons.  They have shown very little urgency on the ownership side to get it right and make significant change (or at least change that includes bona fide NHL experience and credibility).  The NHL as an 82 game slog also is a lot harder to stay engaged in than an NFL season.  Meaningless NHL games are the worst entertainment product post-fighting era.  I was a 20 year STH and would rarely miss any game from about 1987-2013.  I just cannot justify the >$100 for one meaningless, boring NHL game after another, let-alone the 3 hour time investment.

So this start is encouraging.  I like how they have played.  I really like the idea of Okposo's re-birth.  Most of the performers so far are veterans who probably arent in the long term plans (Okposo, Girgensons, Anderson, Tokarski), but id say Tage Thompson has stood out from what I have seen.  If nothing else, hopefully this can reset the toxic culture and cloud that has enveloped this organization.  It'll be interesting to see how they look against Boston.  I am still skeptical though as they have looked sharp at the beginning other seasons only to carve new lows.  It would be amazing if they can sustain this.

The difference for me is I'm not expecting much from them this year. There is probably going to losing streaks. My focus for this season is to see them play this way all year. If they can keep up with this style of play for the majority of the year then I will be impressed. Winning is nice, but seeing them grow is what this season is about. 

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

The difference for me is I'm not expecting much from them this year. There is probably going to losing streaks. My focus for this season is to see them play this way all year. If they can keep up with this style of play for the majority of the year then I will be impressed. Winning is nice, but seeing them grow is what this season is about. 

I'm not sure your view is that far different from a hope they can "reset the toxic culture."

It's worth noting that their three opponents are now a combined 1-8-2.  They beat three bad teams.  That's not to say that this is a bad thing, you're supposed to beat those teams.  I want to see what they can do against better competition and on the road.  We get both of those opportunities this weekend, one better team and one road game.

And then there's monday...

Edited by shrader

In hockey I am an Isles fan but congrats on the Sabres getting off to a good start. Hopefully this year can be the start of the Sabres turning it around. Also here is a picture of the Isles new home UBS arena.

FBsVYHvWUAIQzWj.thumb.jpeg.f0957d6ef9551bfc3acfeeb004c18d84.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not sure your view is that far different from a hope they can "reset the toxic culture."

Partially it's the same. From the way he posted if they go on a big losing streak and finish at the bottom again, its a failure. 

Where I differ is that this season shouldn't necessarily be about winning. Wins are great if they get them but my focus is on seeing them keeping playing this type of hockey all season. They will have nights where they don't score a lot as they don't have a lot of high scoring players yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

It's worth noting that their three opponents are now a combined 1-8-2.  They beat three bad teams.  That's not to say that this is a bad thing, you're supposed to beat those teams.  I want to see what they can do against better competition and on the road.  We get both of those opportunities this weekend, one better team and one road game.

And then there's monday...

They played three teams that aren't winning.  Its hard to say who is good and who sucks the first 20 games.  3 years ago the Sabres were leading the NHL in points and St Louis was in last place around the 25 game mark.  We were all having a nice laugh at that loser ROR for jumping ship just before the big leap... 

Its a long season.