The Ringer: is Regression coming for Josh Allen and the Bills?

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The thing is, when you factor out points that derive directly from turnovers, the Bills scored 14, 19, and 13 points vs. the Steelers in 2019, 2020, and 2021. And 7 of those 19 points in 2020 came after the Steelers punter shanked a punt that set the Bills up at the Steelers 40 yard line. Basically, the Steelers' defense is a terrible matchup for the Bills. 

This is a very very good point.

1 hour ago, uninja said:

Just no, the Steeler's play us tough and its been that way for the last 3 years. We came out with a W twice, and this time we didn't.

Football is a game of inches, and against the Steeler's that's especially true.

The Steelers probably have the top front 7 in football. Comparing our OL play Sunday to KC's injury depleted SB OL performance is accurate. I hate 5 wide against an excellent pass rush. I hate calling 7 designed qb draws when Singletary looks improved. Knox went 4-4 so figure a way to make him your 5th wr available to occassionally chip rushers. Our OL is mediocre and that's not going to magically change throughout the season. 

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Josh will play as well as the OL allows him to, more or less. I figured we'd win 12 games including Pittsburgh so now itas 11 wins.

This loss doesn't change my 13-4 prediction. 

I predicted losses to Steelers and Washington and that this kind of talk would start from the media 😄

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/233844-predict-the-season/?do=findComment&comment=7250569

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Except he regressed in deep ball throwing throughout the 2020 season… he looked much improved in the beginning of last season with the deep ball, and then his inconsistency with it persisted throughout the season so I’m not sure what the author is talking about….. and then he missed a prime example deep throw Sunday in which he overthrew his receiver(per the norm)…. He excelled at intermediate passes throughout the year not deep passes.

I just don't understand why he doesn't fix his flat trajectory on all his deep throws. I find it impossible someone hasn't discussed this with him. We're going on year 4 and that canon arm refuses to add some ARC? That overthrow to Sanders was brutal. And all his deep ball throws are overthrows (with the exception of the Clay play).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I just don't understand why he doesn't fix his flat trajectory on all his deep throws. I find it impossible someone hasn't discussed this with him. We're going on year 4 and that canon arm refuses to add some ARC? That overthrow to Sanders was brutal. And all his deep ball throws are overthrows (with the exception of the Clay play).

Unfortunately this may be something that is never fixed with Allen which is hindsight is another legitimate reason that his extension may have been premature.

A true elite QB is going to hit those type of passes more times than not which is why Mahomes, Rogers, Brady, etc are truly deserving of their MVP status. For whatever reason Allen is just can't do it even when a guy is wide open, still time for it to change though.

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Unfortunately this may be something that is never fixed with Allen which is hindsight is another legitimate reason that his extension may have been premature.

A true elite QB is going to hit those type of passes more times than not which is why Mahomes, Rogers, Brady, etc are truly deserving of their MVP status. For whatever reason Allen is just can't do it even when a guy is wide open, still time for it to change though.

Well Jordan Palmer might want to put this issue all the way to the top next year for Josh. 

I agree with his overall premise that Josh regressing could mean just statistical regression and not regression of his play as a whole. But I don't necessarily agree with his assumption that Josh's stats are going to regress even after his week 1 performance. Last year Aaron Rodgers was 16/35 for 160 yards and two picks against Tampa Bay and still won MVP with one of his finest seasons ever. Also last season Tampa Bay was throttled 38-3 against New Orleans and went on to win the Super Bowl. Sometimes bad games are just bad games. Josh could still have an unbelievable statistical season. We just don't know yet.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Except he regressed in deep ball throwing throughout the 2020 season… he looked much improved in the beginning of last season with the deep ball, and then his inconsistency with it persisted throughout the season so I’m not sure what the author is talking about….. and then he missed a prime example deep throw Sunday in which he overthrew his receiver(per the norm)…. He excelled at intermediate passes throughout the year not deep passes.

Deep outs on a rope and the like factor into those stats; it's throws 20 yards and beyond. He's great at those. His issue is bombs -- throws where you throw it deep, vertically, and beyond a receiver with the intention that he'll catch up to it while he runs to the EZ. If you did it just on bombs, my guess is that his numbers would look pretty poor. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The thing is, when you factor out points that derive directly from turnovers, the Bills scored 14, 19, and 13 points vs. the Steelers in 2019, 2020, and 2021. And 7 of those 19 points in 2020 came after the Steelers punter shanked a punt that set the Bills up at the Steelers 40 yard line. Basically, the Steelers' defense is a terrible matchup for the Bills. 

True but that's also because Daboll refuses to adjust his game plan based on the opponent. He just expects his guys to win their matchups and if they don't oh well. When facing a front 4 like Pittsburgh he has to change the protection. He'll have more chances to prove he can adjust against Washington and Tampa Bay. I'm not confident he will.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Crazy overreaction after one game.

No a crazy overreaction would be saying they are going to go 3-14.

People are concerned after the loss.........it was a bad performance under ideal conditions for a decisive victory by units and players expected to play much better..........the criticism/questioning is mostly warranted.

But then you have people like yourself who can't process people discussing that ON A MESSAGE BOARD where people discuss the Bills.:doh:

Wondering if they will regress after basically one season where they were a SB contender is reasonable............every year for decades at least one of the 4 championship game teams from the season prior has missed the playoffs the following season.   

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No a crazy overreaction would be saying they are going to go 3-14.

People are concerned after the loss.........it was a bad performance under ideal conditions for a decisive victory by units and players expected to play much better..........the criticism/questioning is mostly warranted.

But then you have people like yourself who can't process people discussing that ON A MESSAGE BOARD where people discuss the Bills.:doh:

Wondering if they will regress after basically one season where they were a SB contender is reasonable............every year for decades at least one of the 4 championship game teams from the season prior has missed the playoffs the following season.   

Well, you are always in crazy overreaction mode, so nothing new here.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

In regard to adding ARC to his throw.  I'm not sure how much arc he should be adding when the throw was probably somewhere between a 40-45 degree angle.

image.png.e2ca13e493496237532ce9edec3e7b1a.png

And he missed him by about a yard a half throwing it roughly 60 yards.

image.png.bdaff2e0b3d1a5ca34a3996b410198c7.png

I'm not disagreeing that he does throw more fast balls than floaters like Wilson does but this play probably was one of those "just missed it" throws with good arc on the ball.

Edited by The Wiz

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wondering if they will regress after basically one season where they were a SB contender is reasonable............every year for decades at least one of the 4 championship game teams from the season prior has missed the playoffs the following season

Yeah but kinda have to take into consideration this 1 game and 1st of the season was against the Steelers. I mean they are known to be a tough team. imo it's nothing to be concerned about just yet.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, you are always in crazy overreaction mode, so nothing new here.

You are the guy who offers no football discussion on a football message board.............just snark and other stupid comments that you could make ANYWHERE:

John Wawrow:  "my favorite noodle rock band just put out a disappointing album"

MJS:  "Crazy overreaction".

That kind of douchebot like posting contributes nothing to the forum.

• Dislike 1