9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

The end of the day there isn’t but maybe 2 or 3 defenses that can do what the Steelers just did to the Bills. Without Tuitt by the way. 

As much as everyone wants to talk Watt and he deserves it. Casey Heywood is what makes that defense go. 

he abused every Bills OG they put him against. And when Bills where able to get their long drives Heywood was out or doubled. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

If you can’t see the issues that weren’t fixed from last years team what can I say. I’m sure we will pick off the low hanging fruit, why wouldn’t we? But the last 5 teams we played have handled this offense each better than the previous, if your happy about that good for you.

Nobody is happy, but being a Debbie Downer will solve zilch

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

One dimensional?  After a handful of games of this, I may agree.  One game, especially the season opener, doesn’t tell the tale.  Today the game plan wasn’t good, that’s for sure.

I’ll be honest, if a couple of those BS penalties are not called and it’s a different game.

I'll go one further and say that even being fairly one dimensional, not having a great game plan on offense, if we just didn't turn the ball over on two fourth and 1s and then give up the special teams TD we probably win that game.  Basically saying even not playing our best or calling the best game we still probably win if we would have just punted and made the Steelers go a long field and not given up the special teams score.

16 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Duh, it’s one game, never said otherwise. The Bills were off, they weren’t gonna go 17-0 anyway. My observations were that the ills that plagued them last season, continue. Good lord.

Probably too early to tell...I dont think we were running 20+ times into the steelers front 7 regardless of if we have improved running the football or not.  We'd all be here talking about how being too conservative in the second half lost us the game if we ran more haha

Just got to my hotel after traveling right after the game.  Their D is legit.  So is ours. One of those games where one big play or one missed play does it.  They had a big special teams play, we had an unbelievably dumb 4th down call.  And there’s the two plays that did it.

Both these teams will be in it in January-February.  

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Just got to my hotel after traveling right after the game.  Their D is legit.  So is ours. One of those games where one big play or one missed play does it.  They had a big special teams play, we had an unbelievably dumb 4th down call.  And there’s the two plays that did it.

Both these teams will be in it in January-February.  

I agree, both defenses were good.  But it went beyond two plays.  The scary part, is the plays we left on the field were the same plays that continue to haunt us.   Josh had a touchdown to Sanders he couldnt complete, sloppy when moving with the ball, #2 CB continues to be an issue, no pass rush, and the oline is a big problem against good defensive lines.

33 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Duh, it’s one game, never said otherwise. The Bills were off, they weren’t gonna go 17-0 anyway. My observations were that the ills that plagued them last season, continue. Good lord.

All the ills that went to AFCCG.....

28 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

It also looked like the snap was low and he hadn't gotten totally control of the ball at first. 

Haack also seems to take an extra step Back there, or is just slow. Didn’t help that the Steelers broke up the middle, but he had to speed up. We blocked one of his punts last year, and I think the pats blocked two of his in a different game. 

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I agree, both defenses were good.  But it went beyond two plays.  The scary part, is the plays we left on the field were the same plays that continue to haunt us.   Josh had a touchdown to Sanders he couldnt complete, sloppy when moving with the ball, #2 CB continues to be an issue, no pass rush, and the oline is a big problem against good defensive lines.

Agree.  I picked two specific plays.  A game like this is a play or two here and there.  I think Levi played OK, the TD in the corner he got his hand on and deflected but their WR made a great play.  And the PI wasn’t deserved.

Would have liked to see them run more.

Observations:

No, it’s not the end of the world. Pitt especially when heathy is a tough opener

51 pass attempts is too one dimensional. PERIOD! You need to keep them honest.

Wallace needs to turn his head, he’s a vet making rookie plays 

OC / Gameplan was meh!

JA draw has been run to death,  especially against Pitts D. We ran that to death

Pitt has a legit top 5 defense 

Blocked punt changed the game 

I am not sure what our aversion  is to utilizing the TE position more 

There are a crap load of competitive teams in the AFC it’s a long season

Rebound big next week

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Haack also seems to take an extra step Back there, or is just slow. Didn’t help that the Steelers broke up the middle, but he had to speed up. We blocked one of his punts last year, and I think the pats blocked two of his in a different game. 

They had 3 or 4 guys break through.  That will get cleaned up.

26 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Nobody is happy, but being a Debbie Downer will solve zilch

Didn’t know that having a discussion in a forum could solve a professional sports teams deficiencies, thanks for clearing that up👍 It’s all sunshine and candy going forward…

48 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

First half yes, 2nd half not so much…

I think this is a salient point.  IMHO we didn’t play with nearly as much “juice” on D in the 2nd half as in the first.

I thought the D softened up coming out after the half with the lead.

Chris Collinsworth on Thurs nite was talking about the difficulties of playing 4Q when the starters have been limited in preseason to avoid injury

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Matt Haack had a punt blocked today and one in 2018.  

5 minutes ago, TH3 said:

All the ills that went to AFCCG.....

I’d love to see progress, maybe you don’t. But when a team returns 21/22 starters and the issues that plagued them last year look apparent again - so far - it doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies for marquee matchups like KC. Yes, any given Sunday, and the players can still improve, but I’d love to experience more than another playoff exit. I’d love this team to take the next step. It’s okay to criticize the squad, just like it’s okay to praise their hard work, that’s what these messageboards are for.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think this is a salient point.  IMHO we didn’t play with nearly as much “juice” on D in the 2nd half as in the first.

I thought the D softened up coming out after the half with the lead.

Chris Collinsworth on Thurs nite was talking about the difficulties of playing 4Q when the starters have been limited in preseason to avoid injury

Do you think they were exhausted? I have to admit I did not pay much attention to the rotation. Or could they not keep up the intensity they showed in the first half.. Cleveland certainly faded in the second half today…