9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Levi Wallace getting picked on.  

The interior of our line getting rag dolled…. This time with the added bonus of our tackles struggling too. 

No balance on offense, whatsoever.  I’m fine throwing it every play, but when it’s not working, maybeee try to switch it up.  

The corner opposite Tre will always get picked on- he got some ***** calls against him.

Our line was a strength last season, Allen often had all day to throw.

Not having balance last season was not a problem, we actually had a pretty good offense last season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Agree with this overall although Levi & Josh will have a bounce back game IMO this week. Our Oline struggles to the extent they happened today was surprising. Better fix that as priority 1 this week. Sit Feliciano? 

I couldn’t pick it out, was Feliciano the source of most of the jailbreaks?  

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

The corner opposite Tre will always get picked on- he got some ***** calls against him.

Not having balance last season was not a problem, we actually had a pretty good offense last season. 

Absolutely they will, and Levi caught some bad breaks, but he still gave up the sole offensive TD for Pittsburgh and committed PI.  (Yes, it was probably PI, but it didn’t need to be called.. especially after that Tre White bs earlier in the half). 

We’re trying to win a Super Bowl, not just make the playoffs.    Our OL and lack of balance (or the ability to be balanced) is why we lost to the Chiefs in the AFCCG.  Offense looked eerily similar today.  

Edited by SCBills

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm in the same boat, I couldn't tell you between him, Ike and Ford who was the worst. Several on here complained about Ford, but they spoke in generalities which means he might be getting the Edmunds, Knox, Chris Kelsay treatment of having bad plays magnified compared to others.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Absolutely they will, and Levi caught some bad breaks, but he still gave up the sole offensive TD for Pittsburgh and committed PI.  (Yes, it was probably PI, but it didn’t need to be called.. especially after that Tre White bs earlier in the half). 

We’re trying to win a Super Bowl, not just make the playoffs.    Our OL and lack of balance (or the ability to be balanced) is why we lost to the Chiefs in the AFCCG.  Offense looked eerily similar today.  

I agree that the Oline struggled, but they were a strength last season. We drafted 3 lineman this season, and have Ford back healthy. I think they addressed the line to a degree. Dawkins was awful, probably not nearly back to 100% after missing most of camp with covid that had him in the hospital. Our offense played into the hands of the agressive steeler secondary, calling plays that allowed them to make plays behind or at our line of scrimmage. Allen wasn't sharp, Beasley had a key drop, Allen missed an easy TD pass to Sanders and poor execution on 3rd and 4th downs, which weren't a problem last season.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It sure seemed like turn style “lookout” type blocking from the interior OL was an issue most of the day, but when the all-22 comes out will know for sure. Talbot lumps them all in the pot so to speak: 
https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/09/josh-allen-bills-stumble-in-week-1-loss-to-steelers-6-reasons-to-be-encouraged-7-reasons-to-be-worried.html

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I agree that the Oline struggled, but they were a strength last season. We drafted 3 lineman this season, and have Ford back healthy. I think they addressed the line to a degree. Dawkins was awful, probably not nearly back to 100% after missing most of camp with covid that had him in the hospital. Our offense played into the hands of the agressive steeler secondary, calling plays that allowed them to make plays behind or at our line of scrimmage. Allen wasn't sharp, Beasley had a key drop, Allen missed an easy TD pass to Sanders and poor execution on 3rd and 4th downs, which weren't a problem last season.

We did address the OL, but not the way that we’ll notice immediately.  

Brown looks like an absolute future stud, but he isn’t replacing a healthy Dawkins or Williams yet.   

Doyle and Anderson are development guys / depth this year.  

We still have Ford, Feliciano and Boettger at the Guard spots.   Everyone wanted those spots addressed after last season, and we simply kept the status quo… then proceeded to play the KC game all over again to open the season.   

Edited by SCBills

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We did address the OL, but not the way that we’ll notice immediately.  

Brown looks like an absolute future stud, but he isn’t replacing a healthy Dawkins or Williams yet.   

Doyle and Anderson are development guys / depth this year.  

We still have Ford, Feliciano and Boettger at the Guard spots.   Everyone wanted those spots addressed after last season, and we simply kept the status quo… then proceeded to play the KC game all over again to open the season.   

Dawkins and Williams were excellent last season. Why look to replace them this season?

Just now, klos63 said:

Dawkins and Williams were excellent last season. Why look to replace them this season?

I didn’t say we should.  You said we addressed the OL… and we did, but not necessarily in ways that we will see right now. 

Ford/Boettger/Feliciano is not a good group of guards.  Random blind spot of McBeane.  

Lots of posters here called alarm to it this off-season, and they were all looking quite clairvoyant today.  

We’ll see how they respond, but I can’t lie and say watching that, with a 2nd Round pick inactive, isn’t frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I didn’t say we should.  You said we addressed the OL… and we did, but not necessarily in ways that we will see right now. 

Ford/Boettger/Feliciano is not a good group of guards.  Random blind spot of McBeane.  

Lots of posters here called alarm to it this off-season, and they were all looking quite clairvoyant today.  

We’ll see how they respond, but I can’t lie and say watching that, with a 2nd Round pick inactive, isn’t frustrating. 

Keep in mind that this may be the best defense we face all season. They have dominant players there, and we still gave the game away in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Keep in mind that this may be the best defense we face all season. They have dominant players there, and we still gave the game away in my opinion.

On the bright side if we can improve off of this significantly then it can really help us for KC, TB, etc...

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I hope so.  Tough game to start with, no doubt - especially having beaten them the last two years. 

My biggest worry is that this game looked exactly like the KC/TENN games from last year.  

Sometimes good teams just don’t show up, but we have a similar “look” in all our recent losses.   They all feature a 3rd Quarter swoon, Allen under siege and a lack of adjustments. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

One observation I saw was the Steelers defensive front would often shift late in the play clock or near when they thought Allen would snap the ball and seemed to cause major issues

Isn’t that pretty much what the Chiefs did that gave us fits?

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I think Tampa’s pretty good

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

The deep ball was 2019 level.

He only had 2 deep ball attempts, right? One he slightly overthrew Sanders, the other was a perfect pass that Sanders dropped. And frankly Sanders is not the receiver we should be attempting deep shots too. That isn't his skill set. Allen in the past had an issue where he would rifle deep passes instead of putting air under them. The miss to Sanders today wasn't that. Allen did put touch on it, it's just especially hard to time the pass with a slower receiver so he missed him by a few inches. If that was 2019 John Brown it's a walk in TD... I mean I wish he had hit the pass but people are really overexaggerating with some of the takes.

9 minutes ago, Reader said:

On the bright side if we can improve off of this significantly then it can really help us for KC, TB, etc...

Yea having a defense that can actually get a stop once in awhile will make a huge difference compared to last year lol I do understand people thinking the bad offensive is a trend when looking at some of the playoff games last year though 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

One observation I saw was the Steelers defensive front would often shift late in the play clock or near when they thought Allen would snap the ball and seemed to cause major issues

Belichick scribbling notes as we speak. In a copycat league this is the kind of stuff that needs to be cleaned up no doubt. But during the Bills TD drive in particular it seemed like we had the Steelers on their heels with the pace of play call and forcing them to play out of their rhythm—included the 12 man penalty on that drive IIRC?

48 minutes ago, klos63 said:

In the playoffs, Allen and the offense struggled.

On D, pass rush was an issue all year-- as it was in the 2nd half today.