Stephon Gilmore to miss first 6 weeks of season on PUP

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

The tweet said that the surgery was performed at the end of last season.  That seems like a really long recovery time.

It could just be me, but I suspect he’s milking this thing, 

Between his quad and him being "unhappy" with his contract I could see him just kind of riding out his last year in NE. He probably wants to make sure he's 100% and puts a few good games (if he plays at all this year) out there on film to get one more solid payday. 

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yeah if it's not an injury it's him winning defensive MVP.  Always something

There's no MVPs in his future, but a boat anchor of a contract for NE.  His shtick is aging out quickly

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yeah if it's not an injury it's him winning defensive MVP.  Always something

He has won one (1) DMVP. It's not like it's an every year occurrence. Wayne Fontes won one (1) Coach of the Year award. And if you really want to split hairs he was GIFTED that one over Tre. Yet thers is always drama and injury and then the invariable drama over his injury. 

13 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

There's no MVPs in his future, but a boat anchor of a contract for NE.  His shtick is aging out quickly

He's in the final year of his deal and according to one site I saw he is the 13th highest paid CB in the league.  He was pre-injury regarded as a top 3 CB in the league.  Now I agree, he is 30 years old and his best days are probably past, but when healthy he is worth closer to 17M a year than the 13M he is getting for 2021.  For perspective Ronald Darby is getting 10M this year.  These are always incredibly hard choices for a GM to make.  There are some players that can still excel even past age 30 at CB but it is rare.  Replacing a CB of his quality in the draft will be hard and they probably overpay in FA for a lesser quality player.  New England burned a ton of cap space on marginal players this past off-season and but they still have $14M they could use to pay Gilmore more for this year and next. It's a really tough situaiotn for a GM. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He's in the final year of his deal and according to one site I saw he is the 13th highest paid CB in the league.  He was pre-injury regarded as a top 3 CB in the league.  Now I agree, he is 30 years old and his best days are probably past, but when healthy he is worth closer to 17M a year than the 13M he is getting for 2021.  For perspective Ronald Darby is getting 10M this year.  These are always incredibly hard choices for a GM to make.  There are some players that can still excel even past age 30 at CB but it is rare.  Replacing a CB of his quality in the draft will be hard and they probably overpay in FA for a lesser quality player.  New England burned a ton of cap space on marginal players this past off-season and but they still have $14M they could use to pay Gilmore more for this year and next. It's a really tough situaiotn for a GM. 

The longer he goes not playing, the less valuable he becomes.  The youth movement appears to be underway in earnest now in NE, so i wouldn't be surprised to see him traded.  Someone gonna get fleeced  by the hoody

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

His contract was front loaded. He got paid a ton up front. He is not underpaid. This is the contract he agreed to.

Plus he hasn't been a factor lately because he hasn't been on the field.