Tasker & Brown don't know the cap rules

They are on the air and think bonus money can be spread out over the remaining 8 years.  Now I must admit I only learned this last Friday when I saw the Sportrac numbers, and then looked up the salary cap rules, but the cap rules are a team can only spread out the bonus for 5 years.  So the $16.5 million Josh got is spread out over the next 5 seasons not the next 8.  Next year's bonus will be spread out from 2022 through 2026.  They had all weekend to learn this but didn't before they went on the air today.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

They are on the air and think bonus money can be spread out over the remaining 8 years.  Now I must admit I only learned this last Friday when I saw the Sportrac numbers, and then looked up the salary cap rules, but the cap rules are a team can only spread out the bonus for 5 years.  So the $16.5 million Josh got is spread out over the next 5 seasons not the next 8.  Next year's bonus will be spread out from 2022 through 2026.  They had all weekend to learn this but didn't before they went on the air today.  

I have to admit that I haven't read or heard anything from the two of them in a month or more.   I'm not reading and listening to every last thing any more, but if I'm looking for quality in depth stuff, they aren't the go-to source.  Plus, of course, they're slow. 

Not to beat up on them, but it seems to me that if that were my job, I would be on top of the mechanics of the cap rules.  Personally, I'm not terrifically interested in them - Beane will manage the cap as he sees fit.  I care about the football, not the business of football.  But if my job is to cover the team, my full time job, the business of football is an important subject.   I'd like to think if I had their job, I'd make it my business to understand the ins and outs - and cap consequences - of Josh's contract.  

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

As long as Beane knows, that’s all that matters. 

I agree that's all that matters. But, it also really irks me when (and Shaw kind of said the same) I'm listening to people whose job it is to discuss the Bills and inform us and yet I know facts that they do not. Just seems lazy. In this case, the cap hit of our largest contract in team history seems relatively important for them to know and be able to inform their customers, the listeners, about.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I agree that's all that matters. But, it also really irks me when (and Shaw kind of said the same) I'm listening to people whose job it is to discuss the Bills and inform us and yet I know facts that they do not. Just seems lazy. In this case, the cap hit of our largest contract in team history seems relatively important for them to know and be able to inform their customers, the listeners, about.

Listen to the daily joe Marino “locked on bills” podcast instead for any real information and credible analysis. OBL is just for fun banter.  How I see it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Chris Brown can not make any point or non point with out yelling like a tard. Dude is super annoying. And Tasker can not say a sentence without using the phrase "I get it"  his tomb stone will say here lies Steve Tasker he finally got it.

50 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I think it is important to note that along the way of this mega deal Josh Allen is going to restructure it as needed to get who we want..........

Josh Allen probably retires a Buffalo Bill

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, eball said:

Chris Brown is a Bills’ shill who loves to hear himself speak, yet rarely says anything enlightening.

Steve Tasker was a wonderful ST ace and pretty good WR.

Tasker gets a pass for that amazing playoff ad he did last year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

According to Spotrac, Josh has (just) a $16.5M signing bonus which is spread-out over 2021-2025.  Not sure why 2026-2028 aren't included but that's why I'm not getting the big bucks.

That is the point made by the OP, the rules state you can only spread it over a max of 5 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the point they were trying to make (albeit poorly) is that the Bills get to spread some of the new deal money over Josh's low rookie deal.

Whether they get to spread it out over 5 or 8 years is less the point than being able to move future money into this year where he is only set to make $10M.

Before this thread, I too thought the Bills could spread it out over 8 years. But I am not a pro, and oh well. At least we still get to use this year on a deal that doesnt start until 2023.

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Tasker does no research or prep for the job.

THIS is my biggest issue with Tasker as a broadcaster. I'm certain he didn't become an ace ST player by phoning it in. But virtually every time I see/hear him doing game commentary, it's clear that's exactly what he is doing in his new job. It's an insult to broadcast professionals who take the job seriously and to the audience.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

If they didn't lead off today's show with bad information, it wouldn't have upset me.  They could have talked about the contract without talking about stuff they didn't know.

I can't beat them up too much because as I said I only learned this on Friday when I didn't understand the numbers shown on Sportrac, but then I never went on the air & gave out bad information.  

Just now, The Dean said:

THIS is my biggest issue with Tasker as a broadcaster. I'm certain he didn't become an ace ST player by phoning it in. But virtually every time I see/hear him doing game commentary, it's clear that's exactly what he is doing in his new job. It's an insult to broadcast professionals who take the job seriously and to the audience.

The good news is Eric Wood is back as the color man this season.  

• Like (+1) 2