Training Camp practice and Media Sessions 8/5

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

The only downside is that a player whose primary role is as a returner, he may not be as available to run plays on offense.  That, according to special teams icon Steve Tasker, who says it's really tough to do both.

I think there's a difference between being a regular starter on the offense, which Tasker was sometimes asked to do, and being a spot substitute, which is the role McKenzie has been in.  When Tasker was in the starting lineup, he needed to be in the offense and wider receiver meetings every day to get prepared.   McKenzie is probably not starting unless two of the top four receivers get hurt, maybe top five if Kumerow makes the team.   So McKenzie is a little better able to drop in and out of offense meetings as he does his special teams prep.  

48 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

This data is from last October, but I have always been a bit skeptical of Andre Roberts .. he takes them out all the time and on average we were one of the better teams re: starting field position.. but by just a little bit ( a yard or two). I also think that Josh like most QBs struggle more when backed up .. I would be fine if Mackenzie took a knee every time .. and he has the added advantage of being a real WR.

https://thecommutesports.com/2020/10/27/nfl-starting-field-position/

The chart is pretty interesting so I would recommend taking a look.

Thanks for that article.   I'd encourage people to look at it before they say more about Roberts not being a loss.  The Jets and the Bills were the two standout teams, by far, on combined kickoff and punt return yardage.  

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well, I think it's more about Kumerow basically being the "cinderella story" I guess you could say. So there is and will be more about him I would think. Davis has been solid. He has a couple drops I believe was reported few days ago, which is no biggie. Otherwise seems to me he is doing his thing as usual.

I don't Kumerow is a Cinderella story.  He isn't coming out of nowhere.  He's impact plays in very limited duty on teams that have had good receivers.  Three TDs in 21 receptions isn't bad.  And he's a guy Rodgers has commented on favorably.  My sense has been that he's gotten the press because he's legitimately standing out.  It's been day after day, plus he's playing the special teams.  

• Dislike 1

I love McKenzie, but he’s only been here for three seasons.  Not sure if I’d consider that “through the bad times and the good”… lol.

Although, yes, 2018 was a down year largely because Josh Allen was raw and our WRs kind of sucked.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Is it crazy to think he could take snaps from Davis this year? Kumerow has been the better player at camp according to all reports.

I was just wondering the same thing.  I dont think Davis's roster spot is any kind of jeopardy obviously, the team and staff love him and are high on him for obvious reasons.  But if Kumerow is impressing this much and keeps it up, to get him on the field its going to cut into somebody's snaps.  Not to mention, all reports have really been talking up McKenzie too, literally referring to him many times as just unguardable.  

How do they get all these weapons on the field and in a rotation is going to be interesting and fun to see how Daboll uses them all.

Coming into the offseason, I was very confident Davis would start opposite Diggs, even after they signed Sanders.  But Sanders has also been supposedly hot and impressing and him and Josh seem to have rapidly built timing and chemistry like he did with Diggs last year.  So Sanders seems to be the lead dog to start opposite Diggs right now.  

So you got Diggs, Sanders and Cole as big cogs in the offense...if they all stay healthy, there wont be a ton of snaps left for Davis, Kumerow and Mckenzie.  Davis opportunities as a rookie came from the injury issues to Brown and how much time he missed.  

Ive got a bunch of people talking about Davis as a late round target in Fantasy, but I actually think his stats go down this year, only due to the fact I just don't see how he gets as many snaps without injuries.  The WR group is so deep right now.

• Like (+1) 1

McKenzie obviously has return talent, but he's just more boom-or-bust than Roberts. Roberts was like the Frank Gore of return men. Always gonna get positive yards and make some big plays, but probably never take it to the house.

McKenzie will lose yards sometimes because he'll run in circles. But we saw him take it to the house against Miami last year, I think our only return TD, despite his limited touches. 

The positive thing is that the Bills offense is now good enough to make up for the worse field position that may result from a McKenzie mistake.

13 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I love McKenzie, but he’s only been here for three seasons.  Not sure if I’d consider that “through the bad times and the good”… lol.

Although, yes, 2018 was a down year largely because Josh Allen was raw and our WRs kind of sucked.

I'll allow it. Nathan Peterman started two games that year. A player quit at halftime and we got blown out by a billion points several times.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Eff Dawson Knox...dude can kick rocks, as far as I’m concerned...

I’ve been wanting the Bills to upgrade the TE position for years now. While I think we have a great group of WR’s, I’m concerned with the RB’s and TE’s this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Yeah, he's certainly not a Jerry. But I think that kind of statement is just a reflection of his new mindset as one of the veteran leaders.

20 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

2018 was a pretty bad offensive year. The team was pretty devoid of any offensive talent. Defense was still good, though.

25 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I believe that we will carry 7 WR's on the active roster.

I agree.  The strength of the Bills is their passing game.  They have a deep WR room and it makes sense to keep 7.  After last season ended, we learned about how beat up the WRs were.  I'm thinking Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Kumerow, Davis, McKenzie, and Hodgins.  Dress 6 on game day.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I got flamed not long ago for suggesting that they would keep Johnson for his ST play.

Hughes, Addison, Epinesa, Rousseau, Basham and Obga are all better on defense.  Are you keeping 7 des?  Do you keep Johnson over Addison?  I think its a numbers game.

• Agree 1

Just now, Mat68 said:

Hughes, Addison, Epinesa, Rousseau, Basham and Obga are all better on defense.  Are you keeping 7 des?  Do you keep Johnson over Addison?  I think its a numbers game.

My prediction was/is that Addison gets cut. At any rate, I don't accept the Obada vs. Johnson concept. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I believe that we will carry 7 WR's on the active roster.

I don’t think we do, nor do we need to...both McKenzie and Koom play ST...stash the young guys on practice squad until needed...save the extra roster spot for the trenches...👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Right.  For any receiver, it's all about being consistently good catching the ball.  Everyone is going to have a drop once in a while.  The problem Knox has (like some other receivers), is that once you develop the reputation, even if you've improved, everyone notices your drops.   

And maybe he was better in 2020 than 2019, but he wasn't good enough.  He needs another big step, or he's going to be replaced.  

Agree, but there are drops and then there are drops.  A PBU or a drop on 2 and 7 on the opponent's 35 yd line is annoying but "whateves"

Drops in the end-zone are killer, especially if you're open and the pass is Money

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

It doesn’t sound like he is “checking down” - he had 2 long TD passes in practice Tuesday and again today.  I think there are just different takes based upon what you are looking for.  We see the same thing with Dane Jackson and Wallace with people saying one had a good day and another giving him a thumbs down.  Just different viewpoints depending on exactly which play you noted.

I mean two throws are only two throws, I'm sure Tyrod and Trent Edwards threw it downfield a couple times in a practice session too. We don't really know.

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure

7 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

My prediction was/is that Addison gets cut. At any rate, I don't accept the Obada vs. Johnson concept. 

I understand that idea.  Im pretty much done with multiple Teams only players making the roster.  Also, De is a premier position.  After how last season ended Im not ok with a De on the roster if he cant rush the passer.  Johnson has the measurables but doesnt get to the Qb.

Edited by Mat68