Un(der)recognized all time classics

OGTEleven

Do you have a song you love and consider to be an all time great a la Stairway to Heaven or the like?  It would be a song where maybe people would say "I've heard that", but that is not super famous or considered an all time great?  I think there are a lot of songs in that category.

The one I'll link below has just about everything a song could have and you'll barely ever hear it on radio or hear it discussed.  I'm guessing most of you have heard it but haven't heard it in quite a while.  I doubt it appears on any published "greatest songs of all time" list (but I think it should).  Post yours.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, OGTEleven said:

Do you have a song you love and consider to be an all time great a la Stairway to Heaven or the like?  It would be a song where maybe people would say "I've heard that", but that is not super famous or considered an all time great?  I think there are a lot of songs in that category.

The one I'll link below has just about everything a song could have and you'll barely ever hear it on radio or hear it discussed.  I'm guessing most of you have heard it but haven't heard it in quite a while.  I doubt it appears on any published "greatest songs of all time" list (but I think it should).  Post yours.

I ALWAYS love when Traffic gets a shout out.  Easily one of my favorite bands of all time and I think they were one of the best, ever.

NICE POST, DUDE!!!

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OGTEleven said:

For that matter, how often did you hear 'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys' played?  The full 11+ minute studio version?  

• Like (+1) 2

It's an absolute travesty that so little of this band's early live stuff was documented.  This is kind of a goofy song on the surface, but what an amazing showcase for a live performance.  Not saying this outpaces the peak of My Generation off 'Live at Leeds', but as one performance from one night of an almost unknown song... holy hedes, what a frickin live band:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

One of my favorites (and many who like Billy Joel). Underrated classic. 

I know you and I have discussed this, but I highly recommend, "Songs in the Attic," which is a compilation of live recordings of Billy Joel's earlier material - including the song you posted.  I bought that album when I was about 10 years old and it's STILL a go-to for me.  Never gets old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_in_the_Attic

Side one

"Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)" – 5:05

Performed June 24, 1980, at Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

"Summer, Highland Falls" – 3:03

Performed July 23, 1980, at The Bayou, Washington, D.C.

"Streetlife Serenader" – 5:17

Performed July 20, 1980, at St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN

"Los Angelenos" – 3:48

Performed July 10, 1980, at Toad's Place, New Haven, CT

"She's Got a Way" – 3:00

Performed June 1980 at Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA

"Everybody Loves You Now" - 3:08

Performed July 23, 1980, at The Bayou, Washington, D.C.

Side two

"Say Goodbye to Hollywood" – 4:25

Performed July 14, 1980, at Milwaukee Arena, Milwaukee, WI

"Captain Jack" – 7:16

Performed July 5, 1980, at Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA

"You're My Home" – 3:07

Performed July 23, 1980, at the Bayou, Washington, D.C.

"The Ballad of Billy the Kid" – 5:28

"I've Loved These Days" – 4:35

Performed July 16, 1980, at The Horizon, Chicago, IL

I've Loved These Days is a great tune about growing up.  I can't help but reminisce about different times in my life every time I listen to it and I never hear it without becoming a little verklempt.  If you ask me, that's the sign of some pretty ***** awesome song-writing!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I know you and I have discussed this, but I highly recommend, "Songs in the Attic," which is a compilation of live recordings of Billy Joel's earlier material - including the song you posted.  I bought that album when I was about 10 years old and it's STILL a go-to for me.  Never gets old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_in_the_Attic

Side one

"Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)" – 5:05

"Summer, Highland Falls" – 3:03

Performed July 23, 1980, at The Bayou, Washington, D.C.

"Streetlife Serenader" – 5:17

Performed July 20, 1980, at St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN

"Los Angelenos" – 3:48

Performed July 10, 1980, at Toad's Place, New Haven, CT

"She's Got a Way" – 3:00

Performed June 1980 at Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA

"Everybody Loves You Now" - 3:08

Performed July 23, 1980, at The Bayou, Washington, D.C.

Side two

"Say Goodbye to Hollywood" – 4:25

Performed July 14, 1980, at Milwaukee Arena, Milwaukee, WI

"Captain Jack" – 7:16

Performed July 5, 1980, at Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA

"You're My Home" – 3:07

Performed July 23, 1980, at the Bayou, Washington, D.C.

"The Ballad of Billy the Kid" – 5:28

"I've Loved These Days" – 4:35

Performed July 16, 1980, at The Horizon, Chicago, IL

I've Loved These Days is a great tune about growing up.  I can't help but reminisce about different times in my life every time I listen to it and I never hear it without becoming a little verklempt.  If you ask me, that's the sign of some pretty ***** awesome song-writing!

What’s your take on this song?

• Vomit 1

14 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

It's an absolute travesty that so little of this band's early live stuff was documented.  This is kind of a goofy song on the surface, but what an amazing showcase for a live performance.  Not saying this outpaces the peak of My Generation off 'Live at Leeds', but as one performance from one night of an almost unknown song... holy hedes, what a frickin live band:

This might be my favorite Who song. 

This is another

Edited by Max Fischer
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.