It's Time to Mandate Vaccines

6 hours ago, Sundancer said:

I wonder if you're smart enough to understand the differences between what is happening now and polio/measles/smallpox. 

My guess is no, but no worries, there were anti-vaccine folks for those vaccines as well. They look as dumb in retrospect as the covid antivax apologists will look. 

If this disease were killing kids at the same rate it was killing old people, the drive to get everyone vaccinated would be in feverish gear. We'd be praising science and trying to create herd immunity to protect kids. 

But we don't care about old and at risk folks. 

More assumptions. I’ve already stated I’m not antivax and I have all vaccines as do my children. But being forced to take something that might cause an issue down the road is not ok. 

Ive given my concerns, but since my concerns aren’t in line with how you think, you jump to this conclusion that I must be dumb. I’m probably a Trump following, right wing conspiracy theorist? I guess stereotyping is ok now?

Edited by billsfan5121
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

More assumptions. I’ve already stated I’m not antivax and I have all vaccines as do my children. But being forced to take something that might cause an issue down the road is not ok. 

I didn't say whether you were vaccinated. I said you're an anti vaccine apologist, which you are. 

3 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

Ive given my concerns, but since my concerns aren’t in line with how you think, you jump to this conclusion that I must be dumb. I’m probably a Trump following, right wing conspiracy theorist? I guess stereotyping is ok now?

I don't know anything about your politics. I am only here in this thread seeing your science ignorance. 

In other news, here's a good article on the broken math people apply around Covid. 

https://www.persuasion.community/p/how-to-fix-our-broken-relationship

"Throughout the pandemic, Americans have grappled with, and largely failed to make sense of, COVID-19 statistics. One major reason for this failure is that the public has found itself at the mercy of commentators who simultaneously report and interpret the math for them. Too often, these interpretations are skewed to support a narrative that resonates with their audiences, either painting a drastic scenario about the risks (school is dangerous for children!) or one that minimizes these same risks (COVID-19 is just another flu!)."

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I didn't say whether you were vaccinated. I said you're an anti vaccine apologist, which you are. 

I don't know anything about your politics. I am only here in this thread seeing your science ignorance. 

How am I antivaccine when I have stated numerous times that I am vaccinated for everything required other than Covid, and my kids who are both elementary age are vaccinated? Can you read? I chose to have them vaccinated. I didn’t have to. They are homeschooled, yet they were vaccinated because I felt that they are proven safe.

Being concerned with new medicine does not make one against it. I’m glad that millions of people feel safe with it. I am concerned with long term effects. The same long term effects that your “science” has failed to identify in the early stages for other medicine. 

But since my opinion differs from yours, again, that makes me the ignorant one. I cannot figure out why we live in a world where expression and inclusiveness is such a big topic that everyone is on board with……until it’s not their opinion.

As a vaccine promoter, you do such a terrible job of having a rational discussion and trying to have a real conversation about the vaccine. I am losing count of how many times I’ve had to say I’m not antivax, yet there’s a few people who want to throw that label around ignorantly because they can’t read.

You do more harm than good for the very product you try to promote. You sound like a child who reverts to name calling when someone doesn’t agree with you. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

How am I antivaccine when I have stated numerous times that I am vaccinated for everything required other than Covid, and my kids who are both elementary age are vaccinated? Can you read? I chose to have them vaccinated. I didn’t have to. They are homeschooled, yet they were vaccinated because I felt that they are proven safe.

Being concerned with new medicine does not make one against it. I’m glad that millions of people feel safe with it. I am concerned with long term effects. The same long term effects that your “science” has failed to identify in the early stages for other medicine. 

But since my opinion differs from yours, again, that makes me the ignorant one. I cannot figure out why we live in a world where expression and inclusiveness is such a big topic that everyone is on board with……until it’s not their opinion.

As a vaccine promoter, you do such a terrible job of having a rational discussion and trying to have a real conversation about the vaccine. I am losing count of how many times I’ve had to say I’m not antivax, yet there’s a few people who want to throw that label around ignorantly because they can’t read.

You do more harm than good for the very product you try to promote. You sound like a child who reverts to name calling when someone doesn’t agree with you. 

You wrote all this because you can’t read the word “apologist” after antivax. 

I am not trying to convince you. You’re just making bad arguments and I’m pointing it out. 

13 hours ago, Sundancer said:

In other news, here's a good article on the broken math people apply around Covid. 

https://www.persuasion.community/p/how-to-fix-our-broken-relationship

"Throughout the pandemic, Americans have grappled with, and largely failed to make sense of, COVID-19 statistics. One major reason for this failure is that the public has found itself at the mercy of commentators who simultaneously report and interpret the math for them. Too often, these interpretations are skewed to support a narrative that resonates with their audiences, either painting a drastic scenario about the risks (school is dangerous for children!) or one that minimizes these same risks (COVID-19 is just another flu!)."

So who’s job is it to educate and inform the American public on the ‘real’ math? Guess who….Fauci and Biden. So ten months into office are those two clowns informing anyone? Answer: NOPE!

If the President’s in charge he needs to change the messenger and the narrative. Having Americans scream at each other on a football team’s message board cannot possibly be the plan? Please say it isn’t Joe! Please say you’ve got more than that!

14 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

His point is that you either force everyone to agree with him or you are a domestic terrorist. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Two more studies on two-dose vax regimen vs infection and hospitalization. During Delta predominance and only 246,000 participants. I am sorry that I keep sharing actual scientific studies. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-vaccine-effectiveness-data-delayed-doses-mixing-matching-covid-19-vaccines-1.6205993

FBgNLCmWUAEjr4_.thumb.jpg.f446a1a1e5a0a1b3ab680a9c0ab4bd9a.jpg

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

His point is that you either force everyone to agree with him or you are a domestic terrorist. 

Says "Mr. Science" who thought vaccines don't work for most people after 6 months. 

I don't think you're a domestic terrorist. Just dumb on science, and that's not so bad. Most people are. But most people posting in this thread are confidently dumb and that's the problem. It's confident dumb people who are helping prop up anti-science decisions generally (like opposing nuclear power) and defending folks who won't vax because [insert irrational explanation here]. 

And Just Like That, Washington State’s Fire Marshal Will Lose Job Over Forced Covid Shot. 

“The marshal, Charles LeBlanc, a 33-year-veteran of the agency, says the state has granted him a medical exemption from getting the shot, but that it can’t ‘accommodate’ the exemption.”

To be fair, that makes as much sense as anything else we’ve seen in the last 18 months.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So who’s job is it to educate and inform the American public on the ‘real’ math? Guess who….Fauci and Biden. So ten months into office are those two clowns informing anyone? Answer: NOPE!

If the President’s in charge he needs to change the messenger and the narrative. Having Americans scream at each other on a football team’s message board cannot possibly be the plan? Please say it isn’t Joe! Please say you’ve got more than that!

Unlike you, I don't think it's the government's job to educate people on pandemic health and science. Certainly not the president, though I expect him to set an example and listen to his advisors. 

That being said, the government has unsurprisingly been bad at communicating the numbers.

“People don’t leave careers just because they’re in the mood to make a political statement.

The fact that so many healthcare professionals have misgivings about the vaccine should be enough to spark a real conversation.”

https://pjmedia.com/columns/stephen-kruiser/2021/10/12/the-morning-briefing-vax-nazis-gleefully-pushing-people-into-unemployment-n1523211

29 minutes ago, B-Man said:

“People don’t leave careers just because they’re in the mood to make a political statement.

The fact that so many healthcare professionals have misgivings about the vaccine should be enough to spark a real conversation.”

https://pjmedia.com/columns/stephen-kruiser/2021/10/12/the-morning-briefing-vax-nazis-gleefully-pushing-people-into-unemployment-n1523211

Agreed: Why are pretty much only Americans adopting such moronic positions in large numbers? 

7 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Agreed: Why are pretty much only Americans adopting such moronic positions in large numbers? 

There is your answer.

Land of the Free

New York Times journo: ‘For those [children] without a serious medical condition, the danger of severe Covid is so low as to be difficult to quantify’

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/10/12/new-york-times-journo-for-those-children-without-a-serious-medical-condition-the-danger-of-severe-covid-is-so-low-as-to-be-difficult-to-quantify/

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

And Just Like That, Washington State’s Fire Marshal Will Lose Job Over Forced Covid Shot. 

“The marshal, Charles LeBlanc, a 33-year-veteran of the agency, says the state has granted him a medical exemption from getting the shot, but that it can’t ‘accommodate’ the exemption.”

To be fair, that makes as much sense as anything else we’ve seen in the last 18 months.

The state will lose that forthcoming lawsuit.  A mandate without exemptions is illegal, and trying to circumvent the spirit of the exemption by simply choosing not to accommodate the exemption won't pass muster.  Lots of precedent on that one.   

The tragedy is this guy will have to spend his own money to keep a job he shouldn't have lost in the first place.  

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

There is your answer.

Land of the Free

New York Times journo: ‘For those [children] without a serious medical condition, the danger of severe Covid is so low as to be difficult to quantify’

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/10/12/new-york-times-journo-for-those-children-without-a-serious-medical-condition-the-danger-of-severe-covid-is-so-low-as-to-be-difficult-to-quantify/

Plenty of stupid to go around. Lots in this thread. Here’s another: Americans are relatively alone (with Venezuala) going full stupid in the anti-vax and anti-vax apologist PPP direction but they are not alone going full stupid in the mandate direction (Hi Australia).  

Edited by Sundancer

47 minutes ago, Beach said:

so smart!

We are "out of step" with the world"...............No chance that we are correct ?

It’s hard to believe a magazine that once employed Tom Wolfe, P.J. O’Rourke and Hunter S. Thompson has been reduced to this: 

Rolling Stone Is Trying to Cancel Eric Clapton for his vaccination views.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2021/10/11/rolling-stone-is-trying-to-cancel-eric-clapton-n1523029

Professor Canceled by Woke Outrage Mob Has Last Laugh.

“I’m pleased to announce that Dorian Abbot’s lecture on extrasolar planets, meant to be the 2021 Carlson Lecture at MIT (until MIT disgraced itself by yielding to pressure to cancel it), will be given at Princeton on the date it was to be given at MIT: Oct. 21…Score another one for the Good Guys,

but wait, that’s not all. Professor Abbot ‘has been recognized as a Hero of Intellectual Freedom by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA).’

ACTA President Michael Poliakoff noted that: ‘In addition to his distinguished contributions to geophysical science, Dr. Abbot has rendered a service to the academy by challenging its reliance on criteria other than individual merit in student admissions and in faculty hiring. Like his work in natural science, his challenges to academic procedure call out for discussion, not a cowardly cancelation of an honor due to him for his scientific contributions.

How sad that MIT, a world-famous place of science, cannot withstand a Twitter storm and live up to the ethic of science.’”

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/gwendolynsims/2021/10/12/update-professor-canceled-by-woke-outrage-mob-has-last-laugh-n1523199

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Unlike you, I don't think it's the government's job to educate people on pandemic health and science. Certainly not the president, though I expect him to set an example and listen to his advisors. 

That being said, the government has unsurprisingly been bad at communicating the numbers.

So you believe people should get health advice from some dude they’ve never met on a football message board? 😂😂😂

Yeah…that makes sense!

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you believe people should get health advice from some dude they’ve never met on a football message board? 😂😂😂

Yeah…that makes sense!

Not true.

Sundancer has quite clearly said that we should listen to our own doctors.

(However if we disagree and try to think for ourselves, we are then.......moronic)

Something's I heard today from a  medical historian is that part of  the reason for this not dying out is that we shut things down so far that the disease had too much time to adapt. Basically if we had simply lived our normal lives we would have had more illness in 2020 but because of herd immunity much less in 2021 and beyond. I have not thought much about it but did think it was interesting.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

Not true.

(However if we disagree and try to think for ourselves, we are then.......moronic)

Yes....but if you've followed Sundancer's train of thought since Day One of the pandemic, his primary goal (and a noble one) is to make sure Covid doesn't inundate and overwhelm our Hospitals, where apparently many of his relatives work. So, his solution instead is to inundate your doctor's office where THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE are supposed to make personal appointments to ask their primary care provider what they think they should do about the pandemic or the vaccine. At which time your doctor's office is either going to tell you that your appointment is set for the year 2035...or more probably to GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE! 

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yeah…that makes sense!

I have said many times, don't make your vax conclusion based on social media, ASK YOUR DOCTOR. 

Something you antivax apologists never recommend because you know it terminates any discussion on whether anyone would be told not to get a vaccine. 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes....but if you've followed Sundancer's train of thought since Day One of the pandemic, his primary goal (and a noble one) is to make sure Covid doesn't inundate and overwhelm our Hospitals, where apparently many of his relatives work. So, his solution instead is to inundate your doctor's office where THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE are supposed to make personal appointments to ask their primary care provider what they think they should do about the pandemic or the vaccine. At which time your doctor's office is either going to tell you that your appointment is set for the year 2035...or more probably to GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE! 

Pretty sure your doctor would allow his head dishwasher to convey his thoughts: GET VACCINATED. Probably could just put it on his outgoing voicemail. 

Cute antivax apologist argument though. 

Edited by Sundancer

Just now, Sundancer said:

I have said many times, don't make your vax conclusion based on social media, ASK YOUR DOCTOR. 

Something you antivax apologists never recommend because you know it terminates any discussion on whether anyone would be told not to get a vaccine. 

As you probably know....I've been vaccinated since early May.....so get the heck out of here with your 'anti-vax apologist' crap

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

As you probably know....I've been vaccinated since early May.....so get the heck out of here with your 'anti-vax apologist' crap

And one more thing. If you don't think it would be far more efficient for Dr. Death and the President of the United States to give out real information, rather than expecting every General Practitioner to research all of this on an international pandemic....there's literally nothing anyone is going to tell you.  Where the "F" do you think your "Doctor" is going to gain all of this enlightenment....from some dude on a football message board? 

3 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Pretty sure your doctor would allow his head dishwasher to convey his thoughts: GET VACCINATED. Probably could just put it on his outgoing voicemail. 

Cute antivax apologist argument though. 

21 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Not true.

except if your doctor says you dont need it, such as mine.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

We are "out of step" with the world"...............No chance that we are correct ?

It’s hard to believe a magazine that once employed Tom Wolfe, P.J. O’Rourke and Hunter S. Thompson has been reduced to this: 

Rolling Stone Is Trying to Cancel Eric Clapton for his vaccination views.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2021/10/11/rolling-stone-is-trying-to-cancel-eric-clapton-n1523029

Rolling Stone should consider running a phony story about EC sexually assaulting someone.  That's right in their wheelhouse and really moves product. 

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Professor Canceled by Woke Outrage Mob Has Last Laugh.

“I’m pleased to announce that Dorian Abbot’s lecture on extrasolar planets, meant to be the 2021 Carlson Lecture at MIT (until MIT disgraced itself by yielding to pressure to cancel it), will be given at Princeton on the date it was to be given at MIT: Oct. 21…Score another one for the Good Guys,

but wait, that’s not all. Professor Abbot ‘has been recognized as a Hero of Intellectual Freedom by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA).’

ACTA President Michael Poliakoff noted that: ‘In addition to his distinguished contributions to geophysical science, Dr. Abbot has rendered a service to the academy by challenging its reliance on criteria other than individual merit in student admissions and in faculty hiring. Like his work in natural science, his challenges to academic procedure call out for discussion, not a cowardly cancelation of an honor due to him for his scientific contributions.

How sad that MIT, a world-famous place of science, cannot withstand a Twitter storm and live up to the ethic of science.’”

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/gwendolynsims/2021/10/12/update-professor-canceled-by-woke-outrage-mob-has-last-laugh-n1523199

It's really interesting to see these bastions of higher education melt down over the equivalent of some middle schooler having a fit because their mom packed the wrong snack for lunch on Field Trip day.   Some people are so smart they come all the way around to stupid. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beach said:

But then he’ll question if your doctor is legit. That’s what’s funny. If two doctors have differing opinions of treatment (which happens - high blood pressure - medicate vs. diet/exercise), then what happens? You pick the one with your point of view. So ultimately, if you want to get vaxxed, what does it matter what the doctor says? And the other doctor I guess would be considered unqualified. 

It’s crazy to me that he, or anyone else, cannot fathom the idea that there’s some people out there who have genuine concerns about a vaccine. Suddenly, you’re antivax or an apologist. People are concerned and all I hear is “science.” But science has failed before and it’ll fail again. Scientists and researchers will find an answer to a problem and years later the original thought is obsolete. I’ve provided an example (of many I’m sure) where a treatment option was given, approved, deemed safe, and 15 years later (two weeks ago now) was recalled because it causes cancer. How is that ok?

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Judge rules that NYS mandates must allow for religious exemptions...I don’t agree with the mandates, but this is the next best thing to freedom of choice...👍

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/10/12/nyregion/new-york-vaccine-mandate.amp.html

They will ignore the courts.

Ms. Hochul, in a statement, indicated the state would appeal.

“My responsibility as governor is to protect the people of this state, and requiring health care workers to get vaccinated accomplishes that,” Ms. Hochul said. “I stand behind this mandate, and I will fight this decision in court to keep New Yorkers safe.”

5 hours ago, Beach said:

Comedy gold Beach. The doctor hiding his vax status and giving secret advice to certain patients. I’ll take my chance that you’re lying or your crazy doctor is in a small enough minority as to not make a difference. 

Edited by Sundancer

SOUTHWEST WHISTLEBLOWER:

Canceled Flights the Result of a ‘Coordinated Protest’ Against Vaccine Mandate.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/megan-fox/2021/10/12/exclusive-southwest-whistleblower-canceled-flights-the-result-of-a-coordinated-protest-against-vaccine-mandate-n1523499

More "Morons" I guess.........

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s doubly hilarious because there has been zero effort to increase hospital capacity in response to the iNUndATiOn at the federal level but we keep hearing the same lie over and over. 

49 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Comedy gold Beach. The doctor hiding his vax status and giving secret advice to certain patients. I’ll take my chance that you’re lying or your crazy doctor is in a small enough minority as to not make a difference. 

thanks for proving the point

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, LeviF said:

It’s doubly hilarious because there has been zero effort to increase hospital capacity in response to the iNUndATiOn at the federal level but we keep hearing the same lie over and over. 

Are we just supposed to sprinkle fairy dust and make doctors and nurses appear, and then when the virus wanes wave a wand and they disappear? Increasing and decreasing hospital capacity over the course of the surges is not a switch you flick off and on. The only effective way to make room has seemed to be cancelling elective procedures and discouraging sick people from coming in, a very bad option with consequences that have been measured as horrible. 

Good article. The lack of off-road here in the US is embarrassing. More evidence of politics and not science driving both sides of the Covid discussion in America. 

Edited by Sundancer

22 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Are we just supposed to sprinkle fairy dust and make doctors and nurses appear, and then when the virus wanes wave a wand and they disappear? Increasing and decreasing hospital capacity over the course of the surges is not a switch you flick off and on. The only effective way to make room has seemed to be cancelling elective procedures and discouraging sick people from coming in, a very bad option with consequences that have been measured as horrible. 

Good article. The lack of off-road here in the US is embarrassing. More evidence of politics and not science driving both sides of the Covid discussion in America. 

Fairy dust? We could start by not firing hundreds of nurses and doctors.

You know, what I said wasn’t completely correct. There was an effort to boost the number of hospital beds in New York City during the height of the first big wave there. Which was promptly ignored for political reasons. 

The Atlantic article is asking the wrong questions. NYS, NYC, San Francisco know exactly what they’re doing. As does Australia, for that matter. Remember when it was selfish to not get the vaccine because without herd immunity or something similar lockdowns and mask mandates wouldn’t end? 

11 hours ago, LeviF said:

Well, our hospitals/hospital capacity isn't controlled at the federal level.  I can tell you at my hospital, during Covid surges, they allocate more beds/floors to Covid patients and push off whatever surgical procedures they can to enable the reallocations. 

Since we mostly aren't a socialized medicine country, temporary beds would be the way to go (like USNS Comfort).  Hospitals aren't going to commit to excess capacity long-term as it will incur financial losses after Covid reaches an endemic equilibrium.