Bills add Joe Giles-Harris LB after tryout

2 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

Come on... Yeldon that makes 2 clearly it's a pattern 🤣

Ah, of course! I was thinking he had been a Giant because of Coughlin trashing him, but I forgot Coughlin had moved on to Jacksonville.

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

We haven't forgotten. And we're grateful.

Someone's living up there, and they won't shut up!

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

What’s the status of Darron Lee?

Not re-upped after t he season.  Don't know if he's a free agent or signed with somebody else, but apparently the Bills did not like what they saw of him while he was with the team.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I had a draftable grade on him back in 2019. Haven't followed his progress in the league.

Of course you did.  Link, or it never happened.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

What’s the status of Darron Lee?

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He was not signed with Bills so evidently he did not show enough to bring to camp.

His practice squad contract with the team expired after the season on February 1, 2021

I thought I heard he has an offer from the Bills, but I’m sure it wasn’t big enough. 

14 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

I'm aware but that the only other Jaguar I can recall on the team in recent years

Not exactly recent, but never forget the contributions of PK Mike "xmas in" Hollis and LB Eddie "piss poor open field tackler" Robinson

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

Not exactly recent, but never forget the contributions of PK Mike "xmas in" Hollis and LB Eddie "poor open field tacker" Robinson

Are you sure poor is the word you want to use? Gettin juked by Chad Pennington has got to call for worse than poor lol

• Haha (+1) 2

This appears to be a potentially low risk high reward sort of pickup.  Nice writeup on him in SI, essentially the Jaguars and some observers thought he was one of their better defenders towards the end of the season when he was given an opportunity.

Jacksonville's defense was filled with young faces throughout the 2020 season, but Giles-Harris' stretch of play in the season's final month stood out all on its own. It became hard to watch their defense and not notice No. 43 and the intensity and passion he played with.

Giles-Harris' first start in Week 13 against the Minnesota Vikings was a revelation for Jacksonville's 4-3 defense. They had struggled to get a pass-rush from the strong side linebacker position all year, but Giles-Harris changed that. He harassed Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins for four quarters, recording five tackles and four quarterback hits in a career-high 63 snaps.

For comparison, the Jaguars didn't have a single quarterback hit recorded by any of their previous strong side linebackers in 2020. 

Giles-Harris was commended by his defensive coaches for being able to switch from backing up Joe Schobert at middle linebacker to starting at strong side linebacker. The two roles are extremely different after all, with the strong side linebacker being asked to set the edge while also rushing off of it. 

But Giles-Harris was ready for his moment. He had spent his first one-and-a-half seasons in the NFL working at all three linebacker positions and waiting. Waiting for his moment. Waiting for his chance to go and make a play. 

The moment finally came for Giles-Harris, and he didn't let it slip away. While the defense struggled overall, Giles-Harris was a consistent bright spot. 

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Nope. Unsigned FA.

Huh, I woulda swore I saw him on Spotrac's roster list for the Bills a couple weeks ago.  Maybe I misread Marquel Lee, who is signed.

He said just after the season that he had an offer sheet from the Bills; I would think that must be expired by now.

Thanks for setting it straight.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I thought I heard he has an offer from the Bills, but I’m sure it wasn’t big enough. 

Yeah, he called in to a radio show and said the Bills had given him an offer sheet, but I'm sure it was for vet minimum and he was hoping for more.

But I would think that offer sheet has an expiry date (start of FA?  same deadline as signing an RFA tender?), anyone know?

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Huh, I woulda swore I saw him on Spotrac's roster list for the Bills a couple weeks ago.  Maybe I misread Marquel Lee, who is signed.

He said just after the season that he had an offer sheet from the Bills; I would think that must be expired by now.

Yeah, he called in to a radio show and said the Bills had given him an offer sheet, but I'm sure it was for vet minimum and he was hoping for more.

But I would think that offer sheet has an expiry date (start of FA?  same deadline as signing an RFA tender?), anyone know?

I said it the day he was drafted “glad the Bills dodged that bullet” and here we are today, the guy is just trying to get more than vet min.  I never saw what anybody thought was going to make him good in the NFL, he was safety size with great speed for a LB, but no hips.. just as predicted, bust.   Don’t mind him as a back of the roster type, but it’s days like this I’m glad I’m not a Jets fan.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not sure it would need to have an expiration date.  The Bills need bodies to round out the 90 man roster and he needs a job.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not sure it would need to have an expiration date.  The Bills need bodies to round out the 90 man roster and he needs a job.

The Bills also need a balance in the players they sign on their roster.   So I would think at a certain point they would say "fish or cut bait" as it were.  But I don't know.