ESPN gives Kenny Mayne the pink slip... his Buffalo visit was memorable

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I was under the impression that Greeny ended their show to start his own.  Golic wanted to keep going.  

Months later, he’s fired

You are correct on all that. And with that, I can see why you'd say he hosed him. It's not inaccurate for the right now.

I just think that, bigger picture, it went just fine. Regardless of how it ended.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And yet, the girl who went to my high school that I used to be friends with was promoted to the 6:00 pm show.

You know better than to post this and not provide links to IG "vacation" pics.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Greeny got elevated. Golic got the axe. Golic’s kid is still on though. 

Greeny comes across as a whiny little kid. ESPN has been awful for awhile, and is finding wys to become worse by the day.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Greeny comes across as a whiny little kid. ESPN has been awful for awhile, and is finding wys to become worse by the day.  

Mike & Mike was part of my daily routine. I enjoyed the combo and the contrast. Greenie took a long sabbatical when they separated. That’s been a while, and I doubt I’ve seen/heard one hour of him since. ESPN misplayed this in every way possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AmishRifle said:

I think ESPN will become an interesting business school case.  Was it Disney?  Did they leave their core competency?  Did they forget how they add value to the marketplace?  What was the voice of the customer and did they listen?  Did they overpay for content and talent?  Sad to see but the reality of the marketplace.

...the internet being in everyone's pocket?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I definately don't like to gloat when someone gets fired from a job. So I won't celebrate this. But I couldn't stand Mayne. One of my least favorite on air "personalities".  It hasn't been so bad the past couple years, as he seems to have less airtime then in the past--or maybe I'm just lucky that I miss the programs he is on. Either way, less Kenny Mayne is preferable to me.

• Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I definately don't like to gloat when someone gets fired from a job. So I won't celebrate this. But I couldn't stand Mayne. One of my least favorite on air "personalities".  It hasn't been so bad the past couple years, as he seems to have less airtime then in the past--or maybe I'm just lucky that I miss the programs he is on. Either way, less Kenny Mayne is preferable to me.

Respectfully disagree.He’s certainly not your run of the mill broadcaster. Was it has dry sarcastic humor? I think the guy was funny and unique. I’m guessing he runs out a successful podcast where creative thought is appreciated. See Will Cain and Clay Travis. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Respectfully disagree.He’s certainly not your run of the mill broadcaster. Was it has dry sarcastic humor? I think the guy was funny and unique. I’m guessing he runs out a successful podcast where creative thought is appreciated. See Will Cain and Clay Travis. 

I thought his "humor" was wanting. I felt like he was insulting my intelligence just about every time he opened his mouth. I know some others who feel similarly. But apparently some found him humorous. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“I am king of the Diamond!!!  Bring me the finest and meats and cheeses in all the land!!!”

great teenage memories of Kenny Mayne.  The original bad**s on espn imo

QUADRANGULAR!

YAHTZEE!

and

It's never iffy, if it's Griffey.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Greenie got promoted while Golic stayed where he was and was pissed that Greenie never let-on about what was happening.  Once Greenie left, I think the morning show ratings fell so Golic left/retired and they put in another crew.

My take on it was that Golic and Wingo were canned and Golic Jr., and Fitz were reassigned.  ESPN clearly went in another direction with KJZ.  Sign of the times.

But I like KJZ.  I do miss Golic.  Wingo was meh, at best.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My take on it was that Golic and Wingo were canned and Golic Jr., and Fitz were reassigned.  ESPN clearly went in another direction with KJZ.  Sign of the times.

But I like KJZ.  I do miss Golic.  Wingo was meh, at best.

I like Jwill and Zubin. Keyshawn is one of the worst in espn history.  He’s really clueless when it comes to every sport that isn’t the NFL. Jwill carries

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

The brown bear is a large bear species found across Eurasia and North America. In North America, the populations of brown bears are called grizzly bears, while the subspecies that inhabits the Kodiak Islands of Alaska is known as the Kodiak bear.

Seems like the right place for this:

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/bear-visits-ursuline-campus-churches-in-webster-groves-area-saturday/article_5c74267e-c0c7-57a6-8b83-7fc676af3687.html?fbclid=IwAR3ftNA0kTilk31M5A-UPKnQkSrHXEX4Lfh_FBEkbwjMOID5jV38wOlANLg#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

2 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

Oh yeah, I still watch Rich, I just meant every person from ESPN. Is Linda Cohn still around?

Not sure about Linda Cohn. Dan Patrick used to be on Football Night in America I believe and he has his own radio show

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

I thought his "humor" was wanting. I felt like he was insulting my intelligence just about every time he opened his mouth. I know some others who feel similarly. But apparently some found him humorous. 

Never heard anyone with this take before. Kenny was always one of the sharpest, wittiest anchors on the network. But to each his own. Wondering how/why you felt “insulted” by a broadcaster’s sarcastic humor?