Ty Dunne: Motor can lift Bills to super bowl

57 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Sure he can get better.  BUT TELL US WHAT HE'S DOING TO GET BETTER (Dunne, not you).  That article is just a puff piece.

Yeah.  I didn’t read much of it.  The “good guy, works hard, has heart” shtick is nice and all, but really doesn’t matter much when compared to performance on the field.  And that’s what’s lacking with Singletary.  We can argue about his value on the roster as a backup (he’s easily replaceable IMO), but he’s definitely not the guy I want starting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Josh is a rare athlete.  Singletary isn't.

If players just needed to work on their technique in the NFL, the league wouldn't endlessly be churning through day 1 picks year after year....

Believe what you like, virtually no one thought of Josh as a running QB, most saw him as a big strong armed QB with lots of flaws,( that he worked on by the way )  he was deemed an “elite” athlete after he showed he could actually run the ball, not before hand. Singletary will improve just sit back and enjoy it when we choose to run the ball.

21 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Completely different players.

Josh going into the league was so raw and had a massive ceiling. .

Singletary is extremely limited in his game and his ceiling is way lower. It's very possible he's already at his ceiling, as RB historically speaking is the easiest transition from college to the NFL 

The key words you use are “ possibly at his ceiling “, hell, for all we know Josh is “possibly” at his ceiling, albeit a high ceiling..., there is absolutely no reason to believe Singletary can’t improve the execution of his skills, and become a better RB because of that, it’s just a silly to think it can’t happen, the guy shined in his first season, and because of O line personal changes and run game scheme changes BOTH our RBs looked mediocre all season long, the pessimism runs deep on this forum...,

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah.  I didn’t read much of it.  The “good guy, works hard, has heart” shtick is nice and all, but really doesn’t matter much when compared to performance on the field.  And that’s what’s lacking with Singletary.  We can argue about his value on the roster as a backup (he’s easily replaceable IMO), but he’s definitely not the guy I want starting. 

Frankly BOTH our RBs were decidedly mediocre but with Singletary edging out Moss in total performance, do remember that our O lines run blocking was not good all season long due to personnel issues and scheme changes, both of which Beane addressed in his season end PC, there are a lot of very short memories among posters it would appear...,

• Agree 1

There isn't a RB in the league or the draft that is "lifting" this team to a SB.

The Bills were perfectly middling running the ball last year despite poor run blocking........they need to block their run plays better and to become even more explosive in the passing game to improve on an offense that struggled in the playoffs.

I know fans prefer to ignore the math......they love shiny RB's.......when the Bills acquired Shady McCoy he had just lead the NFL in fewest yards per touch at 4.3 and yet there were people deducing that he was going to put up 2,000 yards from scrimmage.   SMH.   The best RB in the league is only going to give you around 6 yards per touch.   Every Josh Allen pass attempt averaged about 8 yards last year.  And there is room to grow that.   

Making the Bills offense more play choice balanced does not necessarily make them more dangerous...........throwing more screens to RB's into the teeth of defenses already squatting on short and intermediate routes is not a formula for stretching the field and making it easier to move the ball.    Even if you have the league's best receiving backs like Kamara, McCaffrey or Aaron Jones you are just averaging 8 yards per completion to those guys.......Isaiah McKenzie netted 9.4 catching mostly shovel passes and he couldn't find a job this offseason.    

Having a big time RB is not actually a "force multiplier".   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

If he catches that pass we go on to win the Super Bowl for the next 3 years

As I understand it, in an alternate and greater universe, he caught that pass and it propelled the Bills to a record 5 straight Super Bowls and him to four 2000 yard seasons and a first ballot hall of fame career. But, he shouldn’t dwell on that...

30 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Frankly BOTH our RBs were decidedly mediocre but with Singletary edging out Moss in total performance, do remember that our O lines run blocking was not good all season long due to personnel issues and scheme changes, both of which Beane addressed in his season end PC, there are a lot of very short memories among posters it would appear...,

I agree with all of that.  The big difference between Moss and Singletary is that Moss was a rookie with very little offseason and Singletary was in his second.  Running the same offense with largely the same personnel he should’ve settled in.  So while neither were all that great, I’ll give Moss a second year before I pass judgement.  I think that we’ve seen what we’re going to get with Singletary. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Believe what you like, virtually no one thought of Josh as a running QB, most saw him as a big strong armed QB with lots of flaws,( that he worked on by the way )  he was deemed an “elite” athlete after he showed he could actually run the ball, not before hand. Singletary will improve just sit back and enjoy it when we choose to run the ball.

LOL....Josh didn't become an "elite" QB by running the ball.  He started passing more accurately to better receivers--and running less. This was obvious in 2020, when he became "elite".  

Singletary is a mediocre RB.  He's now paired with a second one--his game didn't improve.  That's just how it is.

56 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

He was literally comped to Cam Newton throughout the draft process.

2 hours ago, McBean said:

Devon seems like a good kid but he’s so “meh” it hurts. Can’t catch, not explosive, so slooooow..

We need Harris or ETN to go over the top on offense.

I always think back to how KC mauled us in Buffalo last year by just handing the ball off.

Defenses would have to focus on Harris or ETN which leads to Allen cooking all day. 

We need our Thurman Thomas folks. Get it through your heads.

Harris or ETN! Make it happen BBB

KC mauled is over and over in Buffalo because of their pass game. It had nothing to do with their run game.  McD was afraid they would beat us over top and made sure that didn’t happen.  You’re talking about the result of a scared defensive game plan imo.

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL....Josh didn't become an "elite" QB by running the ball.  He started passing more accurately to better receivers--and running less. This was obvious in 2020, when he became "elite".  

Singletary is a mediocre RB.  He's now paired with a second one--his game didn't improve.  That's just how it is.

It’s as if you didn’t even read what @Don Otreply wrote. 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

KC mauled is over and over in Buffalo because of their pass game. It had nothing to do with their run game.  McD was afraid they would beat us over top and made sure that didn’t happen.  You’re talking about the result of a scared defensive game plan imo.

It’s as if you didn’t even read what @Don Otreply wrote. 

he was deemed a great athlete before he was also known as a running QB.  He was scouted as a superior athlete.

Leaving the draft aside for a moment, I'll just say that I think Singletary and Moss can absolutely provide what's needed in the running game. 

Go back and watch some of Singletary's highlights from his rookie season. Go back and watch Moss and Singletary in the Chargers and first Patriots games. These guys can both ball. 

I'm not saying the Bills will have a top five rushing attack, but they don't need to. They're going to win and lose on the arm of Josh Allen for the next decade+, as they should. But Moss and Singletary can give them enough to make their rushing offense more effective.

People overrate speed in running backs, in my opinion. Matt Breida has world class speed for a running back, and he's on his third team at age 26. Give me vision, contact balance, lateral agility, tackle-breaking ability over sprinter speed any day.

I believe Motor WILL have a bounce-back year, and I believe Moss will have a good sophomore campaign, and I believe that when we're all sitting here next April, running back will be the last thing we're worried about.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1

Motor can't be trusted to add a running threat to our incredible but one dimensional pass offense. He was bitterly disappointing on the biggest stage in this team's recent history. He was timid and lost his aggression running and on perfect screen setups. He looked overwhelmed by the magnitude of this opportunity. We can't waste our window wishing and hoping he becomes a difference maker. He is not Etienne and never will be.

3 hours ago, McBean said:

Devon seems like a good kid but he’s so “meh” it hurts. Can’t catch, not explosive, so slooooow..

We need Harris or ETN to go over the top on offense.

I always think back to how KC mauled us in Buffalo last year by just handing the ball off.

Defenses would have to focus on Harris or ETN which leads to Allen cooking all day. 

We need our Thurman Thomas folks. Get it through your heads.

Harris or ETN! Make it happen BBB

We can keep KC from mauling us by actually improving our defense

My wild card of improving our running game is Moss.....who was putting it together before he got hurt