Happy 71st Birthday Fergy!

How the sport has changed...in his rookie season, as a starter, Ferguson averaged less than 12 pass attempts and 5 completions per game.  I think Josh exceeded those numbers on a number of single drives last year...

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

How the sport has changed...in his rookie season, as a starter, Ferguson averaged less than 12 pass attempts and 5 completions per game.  I think Josh exceeded those numbers on a number of single drives last year...

We did have one of the greatest rushing seasons ever. OJ, Braxton and Watkins rushed for 3000 yards. In 1973 teams couldn't stop the run, so why pass, last season teams couldn't stop the pass , so why run?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

Like you said the game has changed but I would also add Josh didn't have #32 in the backfield either. Say what you want about OJ as a person but he was one of the all time great RB's in NFL history. Also the real single season rushing leader 2003 in 14 >>>>> 2105 in 16.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Like you said the game has changed but I would also add Josh didn't have #32 in the backfield either. Say what you want about OJ as a person but he was one of the all time great RB's in NFL history. Also the real single season rushing leader 2003 in 14 >>>>> 2105 in 16.

Totally agree.  And OJ did it without any passing game to keep the defense honest.  IMO, he’s the greatest RB in NFL history.

• Like (+1) 2

Years ago, I was collecting autographs through the mail, from former Bills players.  It was cool, you would send the player a couple of cards, and ask them to sign one, and keep the other for themselves.  Those Chuck Knox era teams were (and probably still are) my favorite teams ever.  Joe Ferguson, Jerry Butler and Steve Freeman were my favorites. They obviously never reached the heights of the 90's teams, but those were my first years as a Bills fan where it seemed we had a legit shot of making it to the Super Bowl.  Prior to that, it was all OJ, all the time...which was great, but it never felt like we had an upper echelon team.

At the time, Jerry Butler was working for the Bills, as head of their "Bills Alumni".  He told me that he and Joe were still pretty close friends, and that he "would be thrilled" to hear from Bills fans.  He gave me the address for a restaurant that Fergy owned in Louisiana at the time. Can't remember the name of the joint now...something like the Log Cabin Smokehouse.

I sent him a few cards, and a nice note.  He wrote back, and sent me a whole set of autographed cards (each of his Topps cards from 1973-1985, as well as a couple of collegiate Arkansas Razorback cards, and two oddball "QB Club" cards).  And, an 8x10 photo! Pretty sweet. 

Happy birthday Joe!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3