Random Political Thoughts Inc.

T&C

Biden warned of a DARK Winter or some BS while Yellen was talking transition.  

Headwinds seem to be coming from everywhere right now.

These earning reports are going to be interesting.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:55 PM, T&C said:

Are Twain's books Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn still in school libraries? I honestly don't know, haven't been to a school in decades.

They were re wrote years ago to make them PC.  specially huck Fin.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

They were re wrote years ago to make them PC.  specially huck Fin.

Wow... had no idea, I still have the original ones. Not 1st pressings or anything like that but the way the book was written At That Time.

• Like (+1) 1

AI expert warns Elon Musk-signed letter doesn't go far enough, says 'literally everyone on Earth will die'
Eliezer Yudkowsky writes that advanced AI will kill all sentient life on Earth and must be shut down

An artificial intelligence expert with more than two decades of experience studying AI safety said an open letter calling for a six-month moratorium on developing powerful AI systems does not go far enough.

"Many researchers steeped in these issues, including myself, expect that the most likely result of building a superhumanly smart AI, under anything remotely like the current circumstances, is that literally everyone on Earth will die," he asserts. "Not as in 'maybe possibly some remote chance,' but as in 'that is the obvious thing that would happen.'"

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/ai-expert-warns-elon-musk-signed-letter-doesnt-enough-literally-everyone-earth-will-die

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

More than 2 decades?  Pshaw.  I knew about the dangers of AI back in 1984...  

Spirit was singing about it in 1970... 

@Chris farley https://dnyuz.com/2023/04/03/what-is-the-ideal-retirement-age-for-your-health/.  Average age without disability is 73.  Maybe early retirement isn't so bad!  Now early unemployment?  not so much.

Gal Wettstein, a senior research economist at the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, looked at age and potential for employment in a study about people’s working life expectancy. He found that Americans who are healthy at age 50 can expect to have roughly 23 more years free of disability, plus about eight years living with disability. That would suggest people’s maximum working life expectancy, on average, is age 73.

Carpe diem

Edited by redtail hawk

I am curious of something I noticed yesterday when in two separate English teachers rooms. These are two people I don't know well but I noticed they each had more than 25% of their bookcases labeled- banned books- so I looked at the covers and none of them are actually banned in  Florida high schools. Several of them were dystopian books and a few were lightly sexual, are the teachers trying to get kids interested in reading by pretending or are they trying to be political? It is frustrating to see someone lie to kids but it is difficult to get kids to read these days.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Im pro-life, but R’s need to figure out how to message post-Roe, asap.   Especially in northern states.  

No idea how they weren’t prepared, and still aren’t, for this moment.  But here we are…

Most of America believes in restrictions after 15-20 weeks.   One side pushes bans and six weeks while the other side pushes next to zero protections for the unborn.  

In the battle of extremes, the pro-choice side looks more rational given the shadow of Roe being repealed. 

Now, because Wisconsin R’s couldn’t figure this out, not only will abortion measures be more liberal… they’ll also have direct effect on the Presidential election in 2024 in regards to voting measures.   

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I guess being able to kill babies all the way up to and right after birth is really important to a lot of people. 

Yup.  

Ive come to terms with it.  I just wish people would be honest with themselves about what’s going on here.

They can be pro-choice.  That’s fine.  I get it.  We live in an imperfect world.  

Just stop thinking they have the moral high ground too … they do not.   We all know this.. even those that lie to themselves about it. 

Edited by SCBills

So the special state senate race want down to the wire in the WOW districts which haven't gone dem since lyndon johnson.  This is seismic.  I really hope trump is able to run in 2024.  He is destroying the brand completely

WOW counties — have been the centerpiece of any Republican victory in Wisconsin for decades.

But they brought mostly bad news for Republicans on Tuesday.

The counties, which surround Milwaukee, have been emblematic of the shift in the state during the Trump era. They collectively have not voted for a Democrat for president since Lyndon Johnson, but have gradually trended more Democratic over the last decade.

On Tuesday, former state Supreme Court Justice Dan Kelly was still on track to win all three of those crucial counties. But the margins continue to shrink for Republicans there — a bright red, flashing warning side for the GOP ahead of the 2024 elections.

Notably, Protasiewicz came dangerously close to outright winning in Ozaukee County, trailing Kelly by roughly five points in a county that Mitt Romney won by roughly 30 points a decade ago.

And perhaps even more concerning for Republicans: A special election for a red-leaning state Senate seat in the WOW counties on Tuesday is a nailbiter. Should Jodi Habush Sinykin, the Democratic candidate, eventually pull off the win, it would flip the seat for Democrats — and prevent Republicans from picking up a supermajority in the state Senate.

(from politico)

Edited by redtail hawk

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

A guy known for cheating on his wives would have the election swayed by Stormy Daniels.  :lol:

Meanwhile 50 "intelligence" officials lied to cover up Hunter's laptop.  We should look to see who paid them off.

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr on Wednesday filed a statement of candidacy with the Federal Election Commission, positioning him to oppose President Biden for the 2024 Democratic nomination.

In the past he's stated.  "My top priority [would] be to end the corrupt merger between state and corporate power that has ruined our economy, shattered the middle class, polluted our landscapes and waters, poisoned our children, and robbed us of our values and freedoms." 

Personally, for me, sounds like I guy I will give some consideration.  But for the establishment?  Another populist type threat.  So release the hounds in the mainstream media and let attacks begin!  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Time to remove Thomas from office, Roberts. He’s compromised and corrupt. 

LOL.

Another "Headline" reader.

From "Justice Thomas has accepted luxury travel for years from GOP donor, report says" (WaPo).

Federal law mandates that top officials from the three branches of government, including the Supreme Court, file annual forms detailing their finances, outside income and spouses’ sources of income, with each branch determining its own reporting standards. Judges are prohibited from accepting gifts from anyone with business before the court. Until recently, however, the judicial branch had not clearly defined an exemption for gifts considered “personal hospitality.” 

Revised rules adopted by a committee of the Judicial Conference, the courts’ policymaking body, seek to provide a fuller accounting. The rules took effect March 14 2023.

Gifts such as an overnight stay at a personal vacation home owned by a friend remain exempt from reporting requirements. But the revised rules require disclosure when judges are treated to stays at commercial properties, such as hotels, ski resorts or corporate hunting lodges. The changes also clarify that judges must report travel by private jet.

If I read that correctly, Thomas did nothing wrong. In the future, he'll need to disclose.

Reminds me of the Trump prosecution — going after someone you already hate because they hid things you wanted to be able to use against them.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/04/06/clarence-thomas-trips-republican-donor/

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2023/04/supreme-court-justice-clarence-thomas.html#more

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

LOL.

Another "Headline" reader.

From "Justice Thomas has accepted luxury travel for years from GOP donor, report says" (WaPo).

Federal law mandates that top officials from the three branches of government, including the Supreme Court, file annual forms detailing their finances, outside income and spouses’ sources of income, with each branch determining its own reporting standards. Judges are prohibited from accepting gifts from anyone with business before the court. Until recently, however, the judicial branch had not clearly defined an exemption for gifts considered “personal hospitality.” 

Revised rules adopted by a committee of the Judicial Conference, the courts’ policymaking body, seek to provide a fuller accounting. The rules took effect March 14 2023.

Gifts such as an overnight stay at a personal vacation home owned by a friend remain exempt from reporting requirements. But the revised rules require disclosure when judges are treated to stays at commercial properties, such as hotels, ski resorts or corporate hunting lodges. The changes also clarify that judges must report travel by private jet.

If I read that correctly, Thomas did nothing wrong. In the future, he'll need to disclose.

Reminds me of the Trump prosecution — going after someone you already hate because they hid things you wanted to be able to use against them.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/04/06/clarence-thomas-trips-republican-donor/

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2023/04/supreme-court-justice-clarence-thomas.html#more

Why is the supposed “neutral judicial review” taking political bribes?

• Eyeroll 1

this guy lives in Central Florida and posts crap like this all the time, I can not imagine the work he must put into staying in a bubble for this to be true. DeSantis won the vote by a huge margin and to be able to stay in that bubble would be like being in WNY and stating that nobody supports the Bills Stadium. 

25 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Looks like there may be an expiration date on the GOP.

Alex, I'll take "Headlines that I read in the 60's"  for $200.

Edited by B-Man

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Alex, I'll take "Headlines that I read in the 60's"  for $200.

You don’t think there is a significant difference between now and then?

Also, the data accounts for the shift in the Boomer generation. Millennials should already be far more conservative than they are if they are to follow the same pattern 

I was 13 when the 70s ended. If you rely on seeing old TV , people would think that all 20-early  30 year olds were hippies. I don't know anyones parents were hippies back then 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

I was 13 when the 70s ended. If you rely on seeing old TV , people would think that all 20-early  30 year olds were hippies. I don't know anyones parents were hippies back then 

Youngster! We didn’t know that the Wizard of Oz turned to color in Munchkin Land until we finally got a color TV in 1970. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Stunting your kids’ emotional growth to own the libs 

My kids go to public schools and I deal with quite a few home schooled kids, the kids in public schools are not more mature or emotionally stable than home schooled kids. In fact in my experience over the past 10 years the homeschooled kids are more stable than the public school kids 

• Agree 1