Justin Houston - visiting Ravens. Should the Bills be 'in' on him?

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/09/nfl-free-agency-ravens-colts-justin-houston-visit/?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=inline-related

image.thumb.png.37d101a5316a852cffcf796e3b0daac1.png

[Click to embiggen data from Pro Football Reference]

Cons:

-32 yrs old

-impact seems to have declined across the board last year

Pros:

-Still had more impact than anyone else on our roster with 8 sacks and 12 QB hits (Hughes 4.5 sacks, Addison 5 sacks; Hughes 11 QB hits, Addison 8]

-Position at which we need help

The fact that he's still unsigned this deep into FA may argue that he wants something close to his previous contract, 2 years $24M with $18.5M guaranteed.

I don’t think so at that price. But boy when you look at Hughes numbers and Addison there play was down and not getting better. I guess there banking on A.J and Oliver breaking out and star return. But when you rewatch the AFCC game it really showed up how bad we are on the edge. And you can’t give a team like KC that much time heck Philp rivers was scoring on us at will and I can’t lie when the colts got the ball back I thought it was game over. Because they had two scoring drives less then 2 minutes and looked really easy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I don’t think so at that price. But boy when you look at Hughes numbers and Addison there play was down and not getting better. I guess there banking on A.J and Oliver breaking out and star return. But when you rewatch the AFCC game it really showed up how bad we are on the edge. And you can’t give a team like KC that much time heck Philp rivers was scoring on us at will and I can’t lie when the colts got the ball back I thought it was game over. Because they had two scoring drives less then 2 minutes and looked really easy. 

Everyone seems to forget how close that Colts game was. There almost wasn't a Chiefs game. The Rookie Pittman was running wild. That game could have gone either way.

• Agree 5

Would love to land him.  I think he could be a difference maker for us

Doesn’t seem like we plan on restructuring too much more this offseason.  It would have to be a very team friendly deal 

23 minutes ago, 97bills said:

But when you rewatch the AFCC game it really showed up how bad we are on the edge. And you can’t give a team like KC that much time

Agreed, but then the Refs were not calling holds on either side of the Chiefs play.

The "stickie Chiefs defense" as announcer Tony Romo cited. The Chiefs DBs were clearly holding the Bills receivers all game and yet the refs didn't allow that in the SB.

What made my year was the way the Bucs chased vaunted QB Patrick Mahomes to the tune of nearly 500 yards behind the line of scrimmage in that SB!! 31-9 and not even close. 2 INTs, 3 sacks and a QBR of 52.3. Simply beautiful to witness.

Anyway, a few of the biggest factors between the Bills roster and the Chiefs, Bucs rosters are at pass rush, tight end and run game. 

The Bills have no pass rusher like Bruce Smith nor anyone close to that dominance. They have no tight end like Travis Kelce, Gronk, George Kittle either. 

I'd say finding that elite pass rusher and tight end should be the Bills biggest concern going forward. Who, what, where I dunno. 

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was the perfect off-season to rebuild the Dline and contracts that were handed out weren't bad at all. We needed to rebuild the edges of our defense I know it's not the popular opinion but I would've even cut Hughes as well as Star , Addison , Butler & Jefferson basically everyone except for Harry, Oliver, Epenesa and Zimmer  

• Eyeroll 1

Too much $ for someone who may fall off a cliff at anytime.  It’s one of the reasons I was a little surprised Beane wasn’t able to get a haircut from Hughes given his production is solid overall, but he’s not the same guy from 4-6 years ago, and turns 33 in August.

Im a hard pass on Houston.  Open to opposing views, but if we were going to pay a 32 yr. old Houston $12 mil., why wouldn’t we have acquired Ngakoue at $13 mil. like the Raiders did in the beginning of FA.  It’s not what Beane wanted to do.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

I know exactly which team should sign Houston! 😁

The sad thing is it took me a half of a cup of coffee to 'get' it. 😕

😁

I was too busy wondering why the Bills need a PI.

image.thumb.jpeg.81c5ea59cda9b14ecea2c49fcc70f767.jpeg

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

I guess you're right about the financial area he'll be available at.

And it's too much. Cap problems prevent it.

Many people on these boards don't care about the cap problems, they'd rather find cans to kick down the road and worry about it all next year. Thankfully, that's not the kind of GM we have. We've got a guy who is building for consistent long-term competitiveness, and that is greatly aided by financial self-discipline. Which Beane has. He's a hell of a GM.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Everyone seems to forget how close that Colts game was. There almost wasn't a Chiefs game. The Rookie Pittman was running wild. That game could have gone either way.

But which team won? The better team. We scored when we needed to. And they got the ball with 2:30 left and our defense strangled them, not even letting them get near field goal range.

The Chiefs - Browns in the playoffs was close also. Think they're worried about it?

2 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

This was the perfect off-season to rebuild the Dline and contracts that were handed out weren't bad at all. We needed to rebuild the edges of our defense I know it's not the popular opinion but I would've even cut Hughes as well as Star , Addison , Butler & Jefferson basically everyone except for Harry, Oliver, Epenesa and Zimmer  

I agree, too many guys on the market in a limited cap year and we didn’t strike to get the biggest need on the team filled, I am with you, very disappointed. I would have let Milano walk and got a real impact player with that money.

I know Houston just visited the Browns as well.  Looks like things are heating up and he wants signed before the draft, which is smart.  I have nothing on contract offers or expectations though.  I’d bet that he’s going to take the best offer from a competitive team. 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Not sure what the difference is between Houston and Addison. Both guys should get you in that 6-8 sacks range.

The difference would be that Houston actually got 8 sacks last year and Addison...didn't

image.thumb.png.98f02d1d3d3c40b4a8350b8cd3a33c99.png

More than 6 sacks were expected of each of them, based upon historical production.

Addison previous years: 9.5, 11, 9, 9.5

Houston previous years: 4*, 9.5, 9, 11

QB hits:

Addison previous years: 15, 15, 12, 14

Houston previous years: 6*, 20, 12, 18

* Houston was injured, played 5 games

You don't offer a guy $12M a year (Houston) or even 3 years, $30M (Addison) for 6 sack production. 

• Like (+1) 2