Georgia election laws and MLB

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

The same party in Georgia who passed a racist voting law based on their (hurt) FEELINGS and not data?

Now isn't this rich. Coming from a person who feels it's racist but has yet to point to what specifically makes it racists.  

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I went to the actual bill listed by the state of Georgia.  You went to a Fox News site.  How surprising.

What does where I found it have to do with it.  How about this?  

https://legiscan.com/GA/text/SB202/id/2348602

Link your source please.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Now isn't this rich. Coming from a person who feels it's racist but has yet to point to what specifically makes it racists.  

What does where I found it have to do with it.  How about this?  

https://legiscan.com/GA/text/SB202/id/2348602

Link your source please.  

I just did, and as I was the other day I am done with you on this topic.  You make theses big claims about reading the bill and it turns out you’re full of crap.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I just did, and as I was the other day I am done with you on this topic.  You make theses big claims about reading the bill and it turns out you’re full of crap.

So you can't quote the actually TEXT of the Bill that calls for the reduction in the number of drop boxes so you take your ball and run home?

Par for the course.  

So you can't quote the actually TEXT of the Bill that calls for the reduction in the number of drop boxes so you take your ball and run home?

Par for the course.  

I gave you the section of the bill.  Read it.  You wanted it.  Read it.  You’d rather depend on Fox News.  Par for the course.

You did not.  At least I didn't see where you quoted it.  

This starts it.  You keep claiming no one read the bill, and it turns out you didn’t.  How does it feel to look ridiculous?

SECTION 26.
1097 Said chapter is further amended by revising Code Section 21-2-382, relating to additional
1098 sites as additional registrar's office or place of registration for absentee ballots, as follows:
1099 "21-2-382.
1100 (a) Any other provisions of this chapter to the contrary notwithstanding, the board of
1101 registrars may establish additional sites as additional registrar's offices or places of
1102 registration for the purpose of receiving absentee ballots under Code Section 21-2-381 and
1103 for the purpose of voting absentee ballots advance voting under Code Section 21-2-385,
1104 provided that any such site is a building that is a branch of the county courthouse, a
1105 courthouse annex, a government service center providing general government services,
1106 another government building generally accessible to the public, or a location building that
1107 is used as an election day polling place, notwithstanding that such location building is not
1108 a government building.
1109 (b) Any other provisions of this chapter to the contrary notwithstanding, in all counties of
1110 this state having a population of 550,000 or more according to the United States decennial
1111 census of 1990 or any future such census, any building that is a branch of the county
1112 courthouse or courthouse annex established within any such county shall be an additional
1113 registrar's or absentee ballot clerk's office or place of registration for the purpose of
1114 receiving absentee ballots under Code Section 21-2-381 and for the purpose of voting
1115 absentee ballots advance voting under Code Section 21-2-385.
1116 (c)(1) A board of registrars or absentee ballot clerk shall establish at least one drop box
1117 as a means for absentee by mail electors to deliver their ballots to the board of registrars
1118 or absentee ballot clerk. A board of registrars or absentee ballot clerk may establish
1119 additional drop boxes, subject to the limitations of this Code section, but may only
S. B. 202 (SUB) - 44 -

LC 28 0338S
establish additional drop boxes totaling the lesser of either one 

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I gave you the section of the bill.  Read it.  You wanted it.  Read it.  You’d rather depend on Fox News.  Par for the course.

I do not see the section you listed.  Quote the text that specifically reduces the number of drop boxes.   I did not depend on Fox News I depended on google.  Did you not like the second link I provided that had the same text of the Bill.  You didn't like my original source so I gave you a second. Would you like a third? 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

I do not see the section you listed.  Quote the text that specifically reduces the number of drop boxes.   I did not depend on Fox News I depended on google.  Did you not like the second link I provided that had the same text of the Bill.  You didn't like my original source so I gave you a second. Would you like a third? 

See above genius.  And now I am truly done.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

This starts it.  You keep claiming no one read the bill, and it turns out you didn’t.  How does it feel to look ridiculous?

SECTION 26.
1097 Said chapter is further amended by revising Code Section 21-2-382, relating to additional
1098 sites as additional registrar's office or place of registration for absentee ballots, as follows:
1099 "21-2-382.
1100 (a) Any other provisions of this chapter to the contrary notwithstanding, the board of
1101 registrars may establish additional sites as additional registrar's offices or places of
1102 registration for the purpose of receiving absentee ballots under Code Section 21-2-381 and
1103 for the purpose of voting absentee ballots advance voting under Code Section 21-2-385,
1104 provided that any such site is a building that is a branch of the county courthouse, a
1105 courthouse annex, a government service center providing general government services,
1106 another government building generally accessible to the public, or a location building that
1107 is used as an election day polling place, notwithstanding that such location building is not
1108 a government building.
1109 (b) Any other provisions of this chapter to the contrary notwithstanding, in all counties of
1110 this state having a population of 550,000 or more according to the United States decennial
1111 census of 1990 or any future such census, any building that is a branch of the county
1112 courthouse or courthouse annex established within any such county shall be an additional
1113 registrar's or absentee ballot clerk's office or place of registration for the purpose of
1114 receiving absentee ballots under Code Section 21-2-381 and for the purpose of voting
1115 absentee ballots advance voting under Code Section 21-2-385.
1116 (c)(1) A board of registrars or absentee ballot clerk shall establish at least one drop box
1117 as a means for absentee by mail electors to deliver their ballots to the board of registrars
1118 or absentee ballot clerk. A board of registrars or absentee ballot clerk may establish
1119 additional drop boxes, subject to the limitations of this Code section, but may only
S. B. 202 (SUB) - 44 -

LC 28 0338S
establish additional drop boxes totaling the lesser of either one 

It calls for the the establishment of additional drop boxes.   LOL!!  

Just now, oldmanfan said:

See above genius.  And now I am truly done.  

Thank you because you proved my point.  

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Point out where I'm wrong here. 

For the 2020 election, there were 94 drop boxes across the four counties that make up the core of metropolitan Atlanta: Fulton, Cobb, DeKalb and Gwinnett. The new law limits the same four counties to a total of, at most, 23 drop boxes, based on the latest voter registration data. The number could be lower depending on how many early-voting sites the counties provide.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

For the 2020 election, there were 94 drop boxes across the four counties that make up the core of metropolitan Atlanta: Fulton, Cobb, DeKalb and Gwinnett. The new law limits the same four counties to a total of, at most, 23 drop boxes, based on the latest voter registration data. The number could be lower depending on how many early-voting sites the counties provide.

Well there you go!  Good job.  So they picked the number of 1 drop box per 100,000 registered voters.  So that does in fact look like it reduces the number of drop boxes.   Now let's take this a step further.  Will this make it harder for those that live in rural, less populated counties to actually locate a drop box?  

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I don’t understand what you are saying 

Well seeing no one has be able to point out what makes the Bill racist other than it "feels" racist sure makes it look like I understand what I'm saying.  

Do you agree with Biden that this Bill is Jim Crow on steroids? 

52 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

ATLANTA)-Today, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger announced the results of the Risk Limiting Audit of Georgia’s presidential contest, which upheld and reaffirmed the original outcome produced by the machine tally of votes cast. Due to the tight margin of the race and the principles of risk-limiting audits, this audit was a full manual tally of all votes cast. The audit confirmed that the original machine count accurately portrayed the winner of the election. The results of the audit can be viewed HERE , HERE , and HERE .

“Georgia’s historic first statewide audit reaffirmed that the state’s new secure paper ballot voting system accurately counted and reported results,” said Secretary Raffensperger. “This is a credit to the hard work of our county and local elections officials who moved quickly to undertake and complete such a momentous task in a short period of time.”

“Georgia’s first statewide audit successfully confirmed the winner of the chosen contest and should give voters increased confidence in the results,” said Ben Adida, Executive Director of VotingWorks. “We were proud to work with Georgia on this historic audit. The difference between the reported results and the full manual tally is well within the expected error rate of hand-counting ballots, and the audit was a success.” 

By law, Georgia was required to conduct a Risk Limiting Audit of a statewide race following the November elections. Understanding the importance of clear and reliable results for such an important contest, Secretary Raffensperger selected the presidential race in Georgia for the audit. Meeting the confidence threshold required by law for the audit meant conducting a full manual tally of every ballot cast in Georgia.

The Risk Limiting Audit reaffirmed the outcome of the presidential race in Georgia as originally reported, with Joe Biden leading President Donald Trump in the state. 

The audit process also led to counties catching making mistakes they made in their original count by not uploading all memory cards. Those counties uploaded the memory cards and re-certified their results, leading to increased accuracy in the results the state will certify.

The differential of the audit results from the original machine counted results is well within the expected margin of human error that occurs when hand-counting ballots. A 2012 study  by Rice University and Clemson University found that “hand counting of votes in postelection audit or recount procedures can result in error rates of up to 2 percent.” In Georgia’s recount, the highest error rate in any county recount was .73%. Most counties found no change in their finally tally. The majority of the remaining counties had changes of fewer than ten ballots.

Because the margin is still less than 0.5%, the President can request a recount after certification of the results. That recount will be conducted by rescanning all paper ballots.

Dies this match your definition of data?  If not, speaking as a scientist you don’t understand what data means.

I’m not a scientist or a data analyst, but I’m pretty good at recognizing tendencies with respect to human behavior. 

I inquired about specific data—memos, files, notes, documents, anything—on the Georgia law you claim disenfranchises black voters in areas, and how that data buttresses  your deeply held personal belief that Trump lies lead to where Georgia is today.  

You forwarded a press release from a political insider dealing with an audit of the 2020 election that I haven’t contested in thought, word, or deed.  

I don’t need a PhD in  Biomechanicalethoquantamphysical Engineering to know that one of these things is not like the other.  I learned that on Sesame Street. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

What percentage of ATL Metro is black? 

Edited by Chef Jim

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Over 50%.  Now, quit being such an insufferable a-hole.

Nope.  Not even close.  If I'm making you feel like I'm being an a-hole I'm doing my job.  

So let's look at the numbers.  Based on 2019 counts the metro Atlanta area had about 6,000,000 inhabitants. Here is the breakdown.

White - 52.8%

Black or African American - 34.4%

Asian - 6.1%

Hispanic or Latino - 10.9%

Foreign Born - 13.8%

So based on these numbers it appears those most affected by the reduction of ballot boxes in the Metro Atlanta area you brought up would be White residents.  

And I didn't use a Fox linked site for my numbers.  I used the ATL Chamber of Commerce.  

https://www.metroatlantachamber.com/resources/reports-and-information/executive-profile

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Nope.  Not even close.  If I'm making you feel like I'm being an a-hole I'm doing my job.  

So let's look at the numbers.  Based on 2019 counts the metro Atlanta area had about 6,000,000 inhabitants. Here is the breakdown.

White - 52.8%

Black or African American - 34.4%

Asian - 6.1%

Hispanic or Latino - 10.9%

Foreign Born - 13.8%

So based on these numbers it appears those most affected by the reduction of ballot boxes in the Metro Atlanta area you brought up would be White residents.  

And I didn't use a Fox linked site for my numbers.  I used the ATL Chamber of Commerce.  

https://www.metroatlantachamber.com/resources/reports-and-information/executive-profile

Where do most of the black voters in Georgia live is the question to ask.  In the counties in and around Atlanta and other cities.

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m sorry but you are absolutely wrong about being able to throw out legally cast ballots.  The state legislature in Georgia can take over control of elections from counties if they feel there is something questionable in that county.  They have taken away responsibility of elections from the Secretary of State.  Ask yourself why.  You can’t be that naive.

You literally complained that the long lines are only in democrat areas as well as other problems and then you blame the state for making a way to change that. In FL if we have major voting issues we know it is gonna be the three idiot counties in southeast FL, the only heavily democratic counties. The law is written similar to FL which will not allow them to remove someone mid election but will hopefully allow them to keep from having someone like Brenda Snipes. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-ne-brenda-snipes-ends-court-case-20190124-story.html%3foutputType=amp

I am happy though you got through a whole post without mentioning Trump.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You literally complained that the long lines are only in democrat areas as well as other problems and then you blame the state for making a way to change that. In FL if we have major voting issues we know it is gonna be the three idiot counties in southeast FL, the only heavily democratic counties. The law is written similar to FL which will not allow them to remove someone mid election but will hopefully allow them to keep from having someone like Brenda Snipes. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-ne-brenda-snipes-ends-court-case-20190124-story.html%3foutputType=amp

I am happy though you got through a whole post without mentioning Trump.

I truly hope that when a Republican legislature sees long lines in a Democratic county that they will open more polling places.  But of course they could have done that last election but you still had very long lines in counties that are primarily Democratic.  Color me skeptical.

I want everybody to be able to vote.  I would make the same comments if a Democratic legislature did this to highly Republican counties.  Can you say the same?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I truly hope that when a Republican legislature sees long lines in a Democratic county that they will open more polling places.  But of course they could have done that last election but you still had very long lines in counties that are primarily Democratic.  Color me skeptical.

I want everybody to be able to vote.  I would make the same comments if a Democratic legislature did this to highly Republican counties.  Can you say the same?

I don't care who the rules are passed by or who it effects politically, I care that the vote is made secure and people have equal access across the state, if this was being passed in June of 2024 I would say it is wrong but the rules are now open and plain. My neighbor last year recieved a ballot for his mother from Pennsylvania who died around 2012 therefore making someone verify they want it by mail is important, I don't trust drop boxes that are not monitored, and as for long lines I understand that they are a function of democrat areas because most people don't have three hours to spend in line but those without jobs certainly do, especially if you are feeding them the whole time. Lastly in order to enroll your kids in an Orange County school you must have a valid ID, and there are no exceptions, if they can get an ID for that then the voting ID should not be a problem.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Everyone is able to vote. Plenty of options, and plenty of time to accomplish it. 

This thread has gone completely a different direction then I had hoped, and I wanted to discuss it much more along the MLB angle. I have read that the ratings of the national games are down but that is a small sample size, can anyone speak to ratings otherwise? Basically will MLB pick up some new fans by doing this or just tick off the conservative fans and lose out due to it?

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This thread has gone completely a different direction then I had hoped, and I wanted to discuss it much more along the MLB angle. I have read that the ratings of the national games are down but that is a small sample size, can anyone speak to ratings otherwise? Basically will MLB pick up some new fans by doing this or just tick off the conservative fans and lose out due to it?

I helped take it off the rails so I apologize.  MLB will normalize and stay about the same I suspect.  Some hardcore people might leave and pick up some hardcore on the other side of the aisle.  With time feelings will subside.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

They didn’t make the wait times in line less during the 2020 primaries and/or general.  But you know what requires that?  That’s righ.  This racist Jim Crow on steroids Bill does. 

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

WRONG THREAD

Perfect thread for this.  Let’s go to the tape shall we...

The Bill makes it impossible for a black person to get a drink of water!  This Bill is racist and worse than Jim Crow!!  What?  Oh the Bill actually makes provisions for water stations at the polling places??  Well ok but those long lines. Those are racist and worse than Jim Crow. What? Oh the Bill addresses those?  Ok how about drop boxes??  They reduced the number of drops boxes!!  What?  You mean drop boxes weren’t even around before 2020 and were only put in place due to Covid?  Yeah but still drop boxes are hard to find!!  What?  You mean those ballots can be dropped in any mailbox?  ***** I got nuthin.

You sure do. 

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I helped take it off the rails so I apologize.  MLB will normalize and stay about the same I suspect.  Some hardcore people might leave and pick up some hardcore on the other side of the aisle.  With time feelings will subside.

Guilty as charged too. But it’s the unfortunate (and sometimes entertaining) aspect of this sub-forum. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Decisions like that aren’t made unless they can make money.....or at least not lose money.

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Where do most of the black voters in Georgia live is the question to ask.  In the counties in and around Atlanta and other cities.

In 2000, I lived in Cobb County and that was mostly white and Hispanic. I’m not exactly sure if the demographics have changed all that much since then but the political leanings sure did. That’s a purple and sometimes blue district now.

Thst was Newt Gingrich’s old district! So much has changed.

Edited by The Governor

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

PR play by MLB... guarantee it was calculated and the study/projection about the very question you ask was in the executives inbox’s before they took a stand.  

could also be that Maybe the players union pushed it? These unions often push companies for social stances so they can justify the cut of pay they take from their members. 

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Actually I like arguing as long as the other party is being honest- it went a different direction but still on a set of rails, just not the ones I expected initially. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

PR play by MLB... guarantee it was calculated and the study/projection about the very question you ask was in the executives inbox’s before they took a stand.  

could also be that Maybe the players union pushed it? These unions often push companies for social stances so they can justify the cut of pay they take from their members. 

I agree MLB thinks it will bring them some young fans but I bet it loses them more, at least initially, and I doubt people who are impressed by it stick around for long.

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Seethe video on  my post above.