Georgia election laws and MLB

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Bull crap yet again.  The election results were audited by the states, the DOJ indicated there was no fraud, the courts ruled in dozens of cases that there was no fraud.  Trump’s own trumped up committee to investigate supposed fraud in the 2016 election was quietly disbanded when they found nothing.  But because one man has such apparent power over you and others you continue to puns thus illegal voting nonsense.

Why is it so many cannot apparently think for themselves?  Why is it so many are held in the thrall of a con man who lost the Republican Party the presidency and both houses of Congress?  Why?

:lol:

I've been a proponent of voter ID for decades.  That means well-preceding Trump FYI.  And I don't care who investigated or certified what.  My own thinking tells me there is no way for people to know if people are voting illegally if you're not checking IDHell IDs are checked for scores of things we do.  Is that done out of conspiracy theories/paranoia? 

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Equating gun ownership with voting.  Great stuff.  Almost as silly as equating HCQ with effective treatments for COVID-19.  But you're the Doc who believes in medical hoaxes propounded by a real estate developer, not me.  Enjoy your day, sir. 

Gun ownership is considered a right.  It's your argument counselor.  Looks like 2nd, much less 1st, chair isn't coming anytime soon...

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You’ve done nothing of the sort.  You’ve regurgitated talking points cloaked in some notion of virtue, purported the talking points to be evidence of something that flipped your particular trigger, and think by harkening back to days long gone think you’re making a point.  The point to me is you point to data when it suits you, emotion when it does not. 

As for Trump and hissy fits, the reality is that complaints about rigged and fraudulent elections has been mainstream for several years and is nothing new to American politics.  Obama, Biden, Pelosi et al set about destroying faith in the process as early as 2015, and tens of millions of folks—maybe you, maybe not—bought it.  

I won’t bother arguing about election results and the ability for outside parties to influence the election.  It doesn’t matter.  Biden is president, all that really boils down to is your flavor of enabled scumbag is in charge v somebody else’s.  Big picture, of course elections can be impacted, of course powerful people would change the outcome illegally if possible, and it’s silly and naive to think otherwise.  To be candid, I have a much greater problem with 4 years of dem and media propaganda destroying faith in the system and impacting 2020 than anything that happened in November.  

So, if all you have is feelings and talking points, best to leave the folks in Georgia to their process.  

I am sorry you cannot recognize obvious facts and that you choose to be so naive on this issue.  We agree on many things.  Not on this.

And as for earlier complaints by Democrats, tell me when Clinton conceded the 2016 election.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

:lol:

I've been a proponent of voter ID for decades.  That means well-preceding Trump FYI.  And I don't care who investigated or certified what.  My own thinking tells me there is no way for people to know if people are voting illegally if you're not checking IDHell IDs are checked for scores of things we do.  Is that done out of conspiracy theories/paranoia? 

Gun ownership is considered a right.  It's your argument counselor.  Looks like 2nd, much less 1st, chair isn't coming anytime soon...

I have stated that I am for an ID that all citizens can access equally.  And the right to vote is paramount to our country, even more than many enumerated in the first and second amendments.  Without the right to vote we don’t have a democratic republic at all.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Bull crap.  I and others have repeatedly indicated the data by which the Georgia law will adversely affect the black community.  No, they are not the Jim Crow laws of yesteryear because thankfully those have been outlawed.  

Oh, and when it comes to data, the data that is relevant is the data that says the Georgia law and others like it and based on a fantasy.  There is no data to suggest that there was fraud in the 2020 election.  None.  Zero.  Nada.  These laws are being passed because Trump had a hissy fit about losing and claimed fraud before any votes were even counted, and Republicans didn’t and still don’t have the spine to tell him to shut up. 

That’s only partially true - the law was changed to help make it a hell of a lot easier to find those 11,000 votes Trump wanted.

If the Secretary of State wasn’t ethical - those votes would have magically appeared.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Bull crap.  I and others have repeatedly indicated the data by which the Georgia law will adversely affect the black community.  No, they are not the Jim Crow laws of yesteryear because thankfully those have been outlawed.  

Oh, and when it comes to data, the data that is relevant is the data that says the Georgia law and others like it and based on a fantasy.  There is no data to suggest that there was fraud in the 2020 election.  None.  Zero.  Nada.  These laws are being passed because Trump had a hissy fit about losing and claimed fraud before any votes were even counted, and Republicans didn’t and still don’t have the spine to tell him to shut up. 

So does it adversely affect the black community only?  

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

That claim has always been spurious at best.  How do you catch people voting illegally if you're not checking ID? 

Meanwhile the claim that since voting is a right that it should be as easy as possible is a fallacy.  Owning a gun is a right yet it's not easy, much less cheap.  So that dog doesn't hunt either.

More BS from @Doc - it is easier to buy a gun on the same day and kill 9 people than register to vote on the same day in Georgia - now why is that? 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Nice one, you lie about me, then act like I am the problem because you can't read.

You support the law.  The law makes it harder for some to vote.  The only reason the law was written was because Trump trumped up false charges about fraud, which I have not seen you acknowledge.  Where have I lied?

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am sorry you cannot recognize obvious facts and that you choose to be so naive on this issue.  We agree on many things.  Not on this.

And as for earlier complaints by Democrats, tell me when Clinton conceded the 2016 election.

Ah, so in your mind, Clinton conceding the election is THE standard for decency and virtue post-election and I’m naive?  That’s awesome! 

In fairness, if we ignored virtually every other action undertaken by democrat leadership over the past 5 years meant to subvert the faith and confidence in our election process—from Trump-Putin to Trump-Ukraine to comments on the illegitimacy of the election, to Trump-not-Putin-but-obstruction, to Kavanaugh-a-serial-abuser—-then yes, your Clinton tapped out data set is valid. 

Nothing happens in a vacuum my man.  You seem inordinately comfortable with political wrangling and allegations of treason/wrongdoing when directed at certain folks, but get squeamish when the spotlight gets focused on your people.   

Worst case scenario, Trump’s comments about a stolen election are on par with the dem coordinated and tactical approach to destroy the process.  It makes sense, actually, because it worked. 

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Obviously.  Because of Jim, Jim Crow. 

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Quit trying to deal in absolutes.  Because the law isn’t the same as the first Jim Crow laws they aren’t Jim Crow laws.  Now this.  Rural voters in Georgia don’t have to stand in lines for hours, nor will their votes be potentially overturned by the legislature.  Why?  Because they vote Republican.

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Ah, so in your mind, Clinton conceding the election is THE standard for decency and virtue post-election and I’m naive?  That’s awesome! 

In fairness, if we ignored virtually every other action undertaken by democrat leadership over the past 5 years meant to subvert the faith and confidence in our election process—from Trump-Putin to Trump-Ukraine to comments on the illegitimacy of the election, to Trump-not-Putin-but-obstruction, to Kavanaugh-a-serial-abuser—-then yes, your Clinton tapped out data set is valid. 

Nothing happens in a vacuum my man.  You seem inordinately comfortable with political wrangling and allegations of treason/wrongdoing when directed at certain folks, but get squeamish when the spotlight gets focused on your people.   

Worst case scenario, Trump’s comments about a stolen election are on par with the dem coordinated and tactical approach to destroy the process.  It makes sense, actually, because it worked. 

Obviously.  Because of Jim, Jim Crow. 

They are not my people.  I am Independent.  You know that.  But as an independent I am appalled at legislation that actively tries to disenfranchise anyone.  I do not recall Democrats doing such.  I do recall the stealing of votes by the Daley machine.  That was wrong.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillStime said:

More BS from @Doc - it is easier to buy a gun on the same day and kill 9 people than register to vote on the same day in Georgia - now why is that? 

So...wouldn't this be an argument against registering to vote on the same day?  Because bad things happen?

And why are people being registered on voting day?  If you didn't care enough in your life before, why wait until the actual day?  Because someone comes to your house and offers you something to do it?  How about...going to get them voter ID?

Edited by Doc

7 hours ago, The Governor said:

The reason why this ended up being the most secure election in history is because the nation was on high alert the entire time because we caught him trying to cheat multiple times.

What, as a nation, should we do about that?

The most secure in history?  I’m not saying it wasn’t but I’d love to hear what you’re basing thar statement on.  

When you say we caught him cheating multiple times explain the cheating he was caught doing “multiple” times. 

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Quit trying to deal in absolutes.  Because the law isn’t the same as the first Jim Crow laws they aren’t Jim Crow laws.  Now this.  Rural voters in Georgia don’t have to stand in lines for hours, nor will their votes be potentially overturned by the legislature.  Why?  Because they vote Republican.

They are not my people.  I am Independent.  You know that.  But as an independent I am appalled at legislation that actively tries to disenfranchise anyone.  I do not recall Democrats doing such.  I do recall the stealing of votes by the Daley machine.  That was wrong.

You wrapped that outrage in Trump’s actions regarding the recent election, and cited Clinton’s concession as something meaningful relative to the 2016 election.  Then, you called me naive.  You skipped over 5 years of American history and in that regard, you don’t sound particularly independent.  

Anyway, it is what it is. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Well first off I think it’s safe to say that rural voters in EVERY state don’t have to wait in line like those in the city. Soooo how does long lines in urban areas adversely affect ONLY black people? 

21 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The most secure in history?  I’m not saying it wasn’t but I’d love to hear what you’re basing thar statement on.  

When you say we caught him cheating multiple times explain the cheating he was caught doing “multiple” times. 

https://apnews.com/article/top-officials-elections-most-secure-66f9361084ccbc461e3bbf42861057a5

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

So...wouldn't this be an argument against registering to vote on the same day?  Because bad things happen?

And why are people being registered on voting day?  If you didn't care enough in your life before, why wait until the actual day?  Because someone comes to your house and offers you something to do it?  How about...going to get them voter ID?

And not a word about guns.

14 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Would changing the sometimes hard to read handwritten signature to a numbered ID make this a very moot point?  

It probably would make it worse.  In a nutshell, what you want with that plan is to either severely limit or end absentee voting.  Not because there's any problem with it--no allegations of meaningful fraud in 2020--but because Trump spun a hoax/lie about voter fraud that you've bought into and that has caused you to mistakenly believe there is some security risk with respect to our electoral process that requires correction.  It's interesting that the only place that feels compelled to address these "problems" in this fashion is Georgia, which was ground zero for the Trump hoax/Trump election interference efforts. 

56 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Absurd to suggest that the affected class need be entirely African-American.  How about majority African-American?  Or critical mass AA?  Nah.  Extremists like you deal in extremes.  We should expect nothing less.