Georgia election laws and MLB

9 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Yup.  Jim Crow on Steroids.  THIS is what has gotten me so passionate about this issue.

I find these Jim Crow comments extremely gross.  I'm old enough to remember when Jim Crow ( as is President Biden) was still the law of the land. Blacks had to ride in the back of the bus. They could not go to white schools or stay in white hotels or eat in white restaurants.  They had poll taxes and literacy tests to vote.

Black people could not live in Oregon until 1925 because the state convention forbade it.  

When Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. did a show in Vegas the hotel said Sammy couldn't stay in the hotel and had to enter through the back door.  The hotel relented when Frank said he wouldn't play there under those conditions.

If you think this is Jim Crow all over again visit the Civil Rights museum in Birmingham AL.  Or, visit the Colored Musicians Club and museum in downtown Buffalo. 

https://www.cmctheclub.com/club-history

Black musicians could not join the musicians union and play in a lot of the whites only clubs so they started their own.  The proprietor of the club will tell you all about it.

Calling this Jim Crow is like calling the guy that serves soup not hot enough a Nazi.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Also, what happens if I’m standing in line and I forget it?  Back to another three hour wait to vote without anyone being allowed to give me food/water/etc?  I didn’t realize that I should have to pack provisions to vote if I live in a minority-majority part of that state.  

That is not necessary, at least in my state and most others, including Georgia by the way. 

You could submit a provisional ballot, and the eligibility is determined after the vote.

No need for your scenario. 

Its a red herring.

Edited by sherpa

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Reflection on how stupid half this country is Senator Scott.  

But the Secretary of State!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be nice if the right stopped trying to make false equivalency.

Does Colorado have a voter ID law? Yes. Is it the same as GA? No.

CO allows things like student IDs and utility bills. Both things that are at no addition monetary outlay or time commitment to get. GA is state issued IDs like a drivers license or passport. Which either take a time or monetary outlay to acquire and have shown to be disadvantageous to people of color.

Colorado also has a system in place that wants people to vote. Voter turnout in Colorado is one of the highest in the country. One of the main reasons for that is its accessibility to the ballot. Colorado actually mails citizens  a ballot so they can vote by mail.

GA does not mail citizens a ballot and in fact the new GA law makes it harder for 1) you to get a mail in ballot and 2) for the mail in ballot to count. Again, things things that have historically been disadvantageous to people of color.

CO allows same day voter registration. GA does not and further restricts voter registration with the new law. Again, something shown to disproportionately affect people of color.

CO has drop boxes open 24 hours a day and you can drop your ballot off in a place other than your district. GAs new law restricts use of drop boxes.
Yes, GA has a longer early voting period than CO but it doesn’t matter. Why? Because COs laws for mail in ballots have almost the entire state voting by mail and a very small fraction actually votes in person or uses early voting. 

If GA passed a voting law like CO then Republicans would be up in arms about it.

I’m glad you think the law is ok but you and the other Republicans are also ignoring all the voices of people of color who are telling you that this adversely affects there community.

Black churches in GA: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/03/georgia-black-churches-voting-restrictions

NAACP: https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2021/03/30/civil-rights-groups-including-aclu-naacp-sue-georgia-over-voting-law/

Black business leaders: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/business/voting-rights-georgia-corporations.html

The GOP needs to cut the false narrative out. It makes a flashy tweet that people who can’t read more than 120 characters can go post on a message board but they’re just doing more harm for the country than good.

• Like (+1) 1

I still haven't heard from Chef Jim Crow or any of his colleagues as to what problem this law solves. 

Could it be that the law doesn't solve any problem, and instead is simply a reaction to the voter fraud hoax and the recent statewide Republican/MAGA losses in Georgia?

Until I hear otherwise I'll have no choice but to assume that this silly law was driven by that silly hoax and the nefarious desire to suppress the African-American vote for the benefit of MAGA/Republicans. 

Cheers.  Except to the Jim Crow fans here.  No cheers for you. 

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

That is not necessary, at least in my state and most others, including Georgia by the way. 

You could submit a provisional ballot, and the eligibility is determined after the vote.

No need for your scenario. 

Its a red herring.

Tell that the people who stand in line in Atlanta for several hours to vote on Election Day.  Now, thanks to this new Jim Crow law, line warmers can't make their wait easier with such things as the privilege of water.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Tell that the people who stand in line in Atlanta for several hours to vote on Election Day.  Now, thanks to this new Jim Crow law, line warmers can't make their wait easier with such things as the privilege of water.  

I don't have to tell them.

It's the Georgia voting law.

Your hypothetical about a voter having to leave a line and come back and wait again because of a forgotten ID just isn't a necessary action.

Again, they can vote provisionally without an ID.

By the way, as a volunteer election officer for six years, I think I encountered one voter in my precinct who forgot ID.

It just doesn't happen, and isn't a problem on the extremely rare cases it does.

I had two guys who voted in every election who refused to provide ID, claiming it wasn't necessary.

What they really wanted was to draw attention to themselves, and after witnessing the act the second time, I would see them come in, and when they got to the official, I would intervene and tell them to fill out a provisional ballot, and they both soon figured out nobody cared about their sermon.

Wait times are a local precinct issue and completely unrelated to forgetting an ID.

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

CO allows things like student IDs and utility bills. Both things that are at no addition monetary outlay or time commitment to get. GA is state issued IDs like a drivers license or passport. Which either take a time or monetary outlay to acquire and have shown to be disadvantageous to people of color.

Colorado also has a system in place that wants people to vote. Voter turnout in Colorado is one of the highest in the country. One of the main reasons for that is its accessibility to the ballot. Colorado actually mails citizens  a ballot so they can vote by mail.

GA does not mail citizens a ballot and in fact the new GA law makes it harder for 1) you to get a mail in ballot and 2) for the mail in ballot to count. Again, things things that have historically been disadvantageous to people of color.

CO allows same day voter registration. GA does not and further restricts voter registration with the new law. Again, something shown to disproportionately affect people of color.

CO has drop boxes open 24 hours a day and you can drop your ballot off in a place other than your district. GAs new law restricts use of drop boxes.
Yes, GA has a longer early voting period than CO but it doesn’t matter. Why? Because COs laws for mail in ballots have almost the entire state voting by mail and a very small fraction actually votes in person or uses early voting. 

If GA passed a voting law like CO then Republicans would be up in arms about it.

I’m glad you think the law is ok but you and the other Republicans are also ignoring all the voices of people of color who are telling you that this adversely affects there community.

Black churches in GA: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/03/georgia-black-churches-voting-restrictions

NAACP: https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2021/03/30/civil-rights-groups-including-aclu-naacp-sue-georgia-over-voting-law/

Black business leaders: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/business/voting-rights-georgia-corporations.html

The GOP needs to cut the false narrative out. It makes a flashy tweet that people who can’t read more than 120 characters can go post on a message board but they’re just doing more harm for the country than good.

The Jim Crow crowd will just say anything. They are good at trying to confuse issues. They are use to lying and spreading disinformation. 

Someone not paying too  much attention might fall for the lies, but the truth is the GOP lost and election and are trying to shave off votes to close the gap. 

Thats why MLB taking action is important, it sends a message so people know this is a rotten thing for the Republicans to do 

• Like (+1) 1

The basic premise of voter ID laws are consistent.  Citizens should provide proof of eligibility to vote in the specific district.  A majority of Americans, Rep, Dem, Ind agree.  The debate is over what forms of ID are acceptable.  Do you agree? 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The basic premise of voter ID laws are consistent.  Citizens should provide proof of eligibility to vote in the specific district.  A majority of Americans, Rep, Dem, Ind agree.  The debate is over what forms of ID are acceptable.  Do you agree? 

The basic premise of voter ID laws is fine. Things like a utility bill that can be used in places like CO and WI should be proof enough that you can vote there.

The issue with Republicans and voter ID laws is their inconsistent way to try to implement them at the disadvantage for other people. For example, why is it ok to use a gun license in TX but not a student ID?

Had the Republicans ever come to the table with voter ID laws that don’t cost money or time to acquire or if they would apply a standard that doesn’t harm people from voting then I think you wouldn’t see much push back on them.

However, that’s not the case. Republicans have used voter ID laws as a cover to suppress votes.

Plus in the light of fiscal conservatism, implementing say a state or National voting ID system is very very expensive. Does that very large cost justify stopping something like voter fraud that just historically hasn’t been shown to happen?

In the light of Trumpism, why do we need additional regulations when there is no problem?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

The basic premise of voter ID laws is fine. Things like a utility bill that can be used in places like CO and WI should be proof enough that you can vote there.

The issue with Republicans and voter ID laws is their inconsistent way to try to implement them at the disadvantage for other people. For example, why is it ok to use a gun license in TX but not a student ID?

Had the Republicans ever come to the table with voter ID laws that don’t cost money or time to acquire or if they would apply a standard that doesn’t harm people from voting then I think you wouldn’t see much push back on them.

However, that’s not the case. Republicans have used voter ID laws as a cover to suppress votes.

Plus in the light of fiscal conservatism, implementing say a state or National voting ID system is very very expensive. Does that very large cost justify stopping something like voter fraud that just historically hasn’t been shown to happen?

In the light of Trumpism, why do we need additional regulations when there is no problem?

If ID checks are racist, how are utility bills and student ID checks not racist? 

Having some "standard" might be useful but election law gives the States latitude to set their own specifics.  De-politicizing the election and registration process might be something to consider too.  And the process shouldn't place an undo burden on any specific demographic or locality.  I agree with all that.      

What astonishes me with Georgia is why all the fuss now?  For example, in another thread here I mentioned Georgia was debating voter registration legislation about a week or so before it was signed and I don't recall anyone responding or caring about it.  Only after it passed.  And any and every political interest knew this legislation was being promulgated and discussed in the state legislature.  There was ample time for objection along with public comment.  But there wasn't any public outrage or objections until after the bill was signed into law.  And a lot of the objections and virtue signalling coming from parties that had opportunity and ability to chime in with objections and and propose modification.  Like private concerns like MLB, Coke, and Delta.  They were okay with it until they heard objections to the bill from others then virtue signaled the change in their position when they perceived their financial interests were at stake.  That just comes off as patronizing behavior rather than genuine concern.  For me, this is just one of many examples of intellectual dishonesty that infects social and political debate in America.   From all points in the political spectrum.   I just don't see much hope in society as a whole to bridge any gaps in issues and policies unless everyone is dealing with everyone else from a position of honesty and integrity.  To me that's the systemic problem we face.  And we've got a long way to go before we get there.    

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I still haven't heard from Chef Jim Crow or any of his colleagues as to what problem this law solves. 

Could it be that the law doesn't solve any problem, and instead is simply a reaction to the voter fraud hoax and the recent statewide Republican/MAGA losses in Georgia?

Until I hear otherwise I'll have no choice but to assume that this silly law was driven by that silly hoax and the nefarious desire to suppress the African-American vote for the benefit of MAGA/Republicans. 

Cheers.  Except to the Jim Crow fans here.  No cheers for you. 

You've not heard from me regarding what this solves because you're too lazy to look.  

Sectionc3:  Because I have yet to see what this law does or will do or even give it time this law is RACIST!!

Again to compare this to Jim Crow is ***** obscene!  

BTW the the law makes provisions for water at all polling places. Have you even read the damn thing?  Sure sounds like you have not.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Give us a specific example of where in the Bill it makes it actually HARDER for working people to vote.  

Because fascists , that's why!

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You've not heard from me regarding what this solves because you're too lazy to look.  

Sectionc3:  Because I have yet to see what this law does or will do or even give it time this law is RACIST!!

Again to compare this to Jim Crow is ***** obscene!  

BTW the the law makes provisions for water at all polling places. Have you even read the damn thing?  Sure sounds like you have not.  

Most haven't.  All they need to hear are their puppet masters' lies about it.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If ID checks are racist, how are utility bills and student ID checks not racist? 

MLB is racist. You need a picture ID to pick up tickets.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Those are each things that you get in your every day life. There’s no special thing you need to do go out of your way to show you reside somewhere.

1 minute ago, Backintheday544 said:

Those are each things that you get in your every day life. There’s no special thing you need to do go out of your way to show you reside somewhere.

Nonsense, for one case you may need to own property, not rent, and in the other case you need to be enrolled in a school. 

So that illusion of accepting other forms very clearly oppresses communities who are disproportionately renters, homeless, or not school enrolled. 

44 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Having some "standard" might be useful but election law gives the States latitude to set their own specifics.  De-politicizing the election and registration process might be something to consider too.  And the process shouldn't place an undo burden on any specific demographic or locality.  I agree with all that.      

What astonishes me with Georgia is why all the fuss now?  For example, in another thread here I mentioned Georgia was debating voter registration legislation about a week or so before it was signed and I don't recall anyone responding or caring about it.  Only after it passed.  And any and every political interest knew this legislation was being promulgated and discussed in the state legislature.  There was ample time for objection along with public comment.  But there wasn't any public outrage or objections until after the bill was signed into law.  And a lot of the objections and virtue signalling coming from parties that had opportunity and ability to chime in with objections and and propose modification.  Like private concerns like MLB, Coke, and Delta.  They were okay with it until they heard objections to the bill from others then virtue signaled the change in their position when they perceived their financial interests were at stake.  That just comes off as patronizing behavior rather than genuine concern.  For me, this is just one of many examples of intellectual dishonesty that infects social and political debate in America.   From all points in the political spectrum.   I just don't see much hope in society as a whole to bridge any gaps in issues and policies unless everyone is dealing with everyone else from a position of honesty and integrity.  To me that's the systemic problem we face.  And we've got a long way to go before we get there.    

Except there was outrage before it passed. For example:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/georgia/articles/2021-02-26/democrats-begin-georgia-capitol-sit-in-over-voting-bills

https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/16/protesters-draw-georgia-big-business-the-voting-rights-fray