Mock drafts indicating that the top end of draft will be QB & WR focused - does this ignore BPA philosophy?

In the pass happy NFL no doubt that QB’s and receivers are critical to a teams success. However, to me it seems teams are reaching hard for both positions at the expense of the best player available philosophy. It may be that teams in their weighting believe that a given QB or WR is the BPA but history has suggested that both positions are risky picks at the top of the draft.

The good news for the Bills is that if the predictions play out there may be some surprise players available at 30. Probably not a premier DE that we would love to see but maybe CB, interior o-line or 2’nd tier (i.e not premier level) DE.

Your thoughts?

• Agree 1

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Mock drafts indicating that the top end of draft will be QB & WR focused - does this ignore BPA philosophy?

Pretty simple: QB trumps everything else. If you don't have one, you have to take one. 

The top WRs are pretty special too, special players go at the top of the draft.

In the top 10-12 we'll likely see 5 QBs and 3 WRs go (see above) along with a TE, a LT, and likely a CB and DE -- all special. 

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I love the mocks that show five QB’s going in the top 20. I’d love to see it, but it’s just so rare to see. Even QB’s going 1,2,3 would blow my mind. I think 2 ends up being BPA. But who knows. Can’t wait to find out. 

It's going to happen. The market to trade up for a QB is simply too strong to not either take one or trade back. Lawrence and Wilson are locked in at 1 and 2, and the 9ers did not spend 3 1st round picks to not take a QB of the future. 3-3 is a lock, and the other 2 won't be too far behind.

• Agree 1

Happens almost every year with the QBs. Teams target a guy and then the smokescreens and the rumors go out and teams get nervous that their guy isn't gonna make it to them so they start to wheel and deal to move up. And then some poor kid gets way overdrafted and ends up struggling to be the face of some franchise that pushes him into that spot. 

With the WRs, it's now one of the premier positions kids wanna play. Especially now that more and more college teams adapt to the pass-happy offenses where they really want two big time receivers on the boundaries. Some teams get lucky and end up with two kids that will go onto be an NFL teams #1 (the LSU guys come to mind, Jefferson up in Minnesota, and Chase to Cincinnati if Joey B gets his way). And the classes lately have been pretty stacked which I also think creates these first round runs on the position. 

I think what people fail to realize is that BPA also takes into account their general importance in a scheme and weights those positions most important a little heavier.

Additionally teams need to account for how big a drop off there is between prospects at a position...if say WR has 3 or 4 top flight guys and then there is a huge drop off but OT doesn't have much of a dropoff between the top guys and the next tier then a team might take the WR first even tho the OT might have a higher grade because they think they can get an OT later that will better than the WR they could get later.

A lot at play that BPA doesn't really take into account.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, nucci said:

Possibly but it is very difficult to win without a good QB and WRs helps a QB. Just look at how much the Bills improved with Allen and Diggs

Part of the point is that Diggs was not selected in round 1 much less near the top of the draft. For a more recent example look at Davis on the Bills who is becoming a good, maybe very good (elite?) receiver who was taken in the 4th round. WR’s usually take a couple of seasons to develop. It seems risky to take them in early picks.

Strict / the very BPA overall has always been a myth for the most part, perpetuated by teams to convince themselves , their opponents, and their fans that they are making the correct selection at each point of the draft process.  Humans, what else would you expect, it’s what we do...

BPA at a position of need on the other hand is in fact what the draft is and has always been since its inception.  It is all need driven, otherwise, why in hades would a team select a player they don’t have a need for?  It just doesn’t ever happen.  

A faster stronger more agile better player than a team currently has at every position is always need for every team.  Good GMs think this way, but position of need prioritizes the order of selection. 

There is a saying that was made famous during a winter Olympic build up some years ago,  I’m paraphrasing here, it goes like this,  “ I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right players”  Beane could have said that...

Anyway...

Go Bills!!!

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Part of the point is that Diggs was not selected in round 1 much less near the top of the draft. For a more recent example look at Davis on the Bills who is becoming a good, maybe very good (elite?) receiver who was taken in the 4th round. WR’s usually take a couple of seasons to develop. It seems risky to take them in early picks.

I appreciate the point, but some WR prospects develop from a much higher starting point than others. 

Some don't understand what BPA really means. It has been argued on these forums and others many times over again. Some think BPA is Best player available. Period. This just simply isn't true and I will give an example. Lets say your the Buffalo Bills and you have the 15th pick. Your up and the best player available is a QB that should of gone at #3 but you already have your franchise QB and a darn good back up what do you do?

You try to trade back in the draft but no one wants to bite. Do you draft BPA or do you draft BPA at Need? What does BPA stand for? How many teams in our case would pick that QB? answer is no one.. so you look at your need list. We looking for CB, OT, Edge (examples)  who is there at those positions? then you pick it.

The BPA is over used without true meaning.

Passing attack should be the overwhelming focus of every team in the league.

Just remember, "best player available" is kind of a myth, b/c no one really knows who the best player available really is at any point in the draft, and more often than not, the teams are *wrong* in terms of who they take.

• Like (+1) 1

BPA is not a thing.  Never has been.  Teams draft for need by taking who they have highest on their board at a position of need.  

Name one pick that McD or Beane has made in the first four rounds that was not a need?  White - they just let Gilmore walk.  Edmunds and Allen - everyone knew they wanted to draft a QB and they let P. Brown walk.  Knox - pretty sure at the time he was drafted only 1 other TE was on the roster.  They had so few prospects at TE they drafted two in the same draft.  Oliver - Kyle had just retired.  Moss - Gore was not brought back. 

Maybe Singletary was not a true need at the time of the draft but it became obvious the plan was to cut McCoy making the pick of Singletary a need so they coudl move on from McCoy. 

• Like (+1) 1