Biden and the crises er challenge on the border

2 hours ago, Chris farley said:

Damn. from an agency that didnt even exist prior to 9-11 to almost 300K.  wonder how many are agents. thats an army

IRS isn't even 100K.

FBI is 35K.

ATF is 3500

It's amazing to me as well!  I did a quick search, and it looks like there are 60K in just the TSA.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chris farley said:

from an agency that didnt even exist prior to 9-11 to almost 300K.  wonder how many are agents

A bit of context - READ BEFORE YOU EYEROLL. (I know that won't work, but it's fun)

All of the following were folded into the new Department of Homeland Security: the operations of the former INS (including Border Patrol, INS inspectors at ports of entry, people who decide citizenship applications, etc.), the Customs Service, the Secret Service, the Federal Protective Service (they have law enforcement authority at federal civilian buildings), and a bunch of smaller agencies.

Yes, the number of DHS employees has grown, often pretty fast, particularly in Border Patrol. But it didn't start from zero. The stuff they took over was already pretty big.

• Eyeroll 1

ANNALS OF LEFTIST AUTOPHAGY: NYC Mayor Eric Adams Rails Against Illegal Immigrants, Claiming They Will “Destroy New York City.”

https://ace.mu.nu/archives/406047.php

Even Axios has noted:

Blue state migrant crisis sparks political disaster for Biden.

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/05/biden-migrant-crisis-political-disaster

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

He fn did not - pathetic talking point.

The wall never worked. 

You are a walking, talking, talking point personified.  Always on script and on story.  Bravo.  Anyway, you asked a question and I gave you answer. What more do you expect?

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/09/us/deportation-pennsylvania-fugitive-danelo-cavalcante.html

So now we have a real, honest-to-goodness, illegal aliens/"undocumented noncitizen" murderer back in custody. Probably a double murderer, since it appears that he fled Brazil because he was wanted for a murder there.

And his sister was picked up because she is here illegally too, and apparently wasn't very helpful in providing information on her brother.

From what I've seen so far, he looks more like the old fashioned illegal entrant, not one of the new style who come across the border and effectively surrender to Border Patrol to claim asylum. In other words, someone who came in illegally and wanted to remain here under the radar, which was a good plan except that murdering your girlfriend isn't the best way to stay under the radar.

Political talking point: almost certainly came in during the Trump administration. Stayed under Biden. Apparently didn't come in contact with law enforcement until he murdered his girlfriend, so perhaps no clear chance to deport (extradite to Brazil to face charges there?) him before the damage was done. A prison wall didn't stop him, so I doubt a border wall would have. 

Fire away! Seriously, illegal immigration is a problem and we need to have a serious discussion about how to deter it. A discussion that goes beyond "invasion" and "walls" and "just here to work." One that recognizes that illegal immigrants include good people and awful/dangerous people alike.

13 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/09/us/deportation-pennsylvania-fugitive-danelo-cavalcante.html

So now we have a real, honest-to-goodness, illegal aliens/"undocumented noncitizen" murderer back in custody. Probably a double murderer, since it appears that he fled Brazil because he was wanted for a murder there.

And his sister was picked up because she is here illegally too, and apparently wasn't very helpful in providing information on her brother.

From what I've seen so far, he looks more like the old fashioned illegal entrant, not one of the new style who come across the border and effectively surrender to Border Patrol to claim asylum. In other words, someone who came in illegally and wanted to remain here under the radar, which was a good plan except that murdering your girlfriend isn't the best way to stay under the radar.

Political talking point: almost certainly came in during the Trump administration. Stayed under Biden. Apparently didn't come in contact with law enforcement until he murdered his girlfriend, so perhaps no clear chance to deport (extradite to Brazil to face charges there?) him before the damage was done. A prison wall didn't stop him, so I doubt a border wall would have. 

Fire away! Seriously, illegal immigration is a problem and we need to have a serious discussion about how to deter it. A discussion that goes beyond "invasion" and "walls" and "just here to work." One that recognizes that illegal immigrants include good people and awful/dangerous people alike.

Defunding and neutering ICE has severe consequences.  at least in this case it did for that young lady.

This seems like a common theme with jail breaks. they break out of the local jails while in court for capital crimes. seems local jails are the weak spot.  why would someone convicted of murder here, and about to go back to Brazil be allowed to walk free and in the yard? doent even make sense. 

28 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

and about to go back to Brazil

I agree in general. 

But he wasn't about to go back to Brazil. He was going to serve his sentence - life with no parole - in PA. A long time ago, we used to deport convicted aliens before they served their sentences, only to see the receiving country set them free. So for good reasons we don't do that anymore.

Hard to imagine this guy didn't have some contact with law enforcement before he killed his girlfriend - traffic stop, etc. Until recently these traffic stops would've started deportation proceedings, and when booking him in warrants (including the Brazil murder warrant) would be discovered. So that's what we'll need to find out here. 

Non enforcement of laws is not a cost-free, feel-good solution. At least not in many cases.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That serious discussion needs to start with a recognition of the basis of the problem.

That basis is failed external governments that lead their citizens to escape.

The US border is but a symptom.

The cause is failed governments that are more than happy to use the US as a safety valve, and the US taxpayer to bear their internal failure burden.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, sherpa said:

The cause is failed governments that are more than happy to use the US as a safety valve,

There is a lot to that. 

15 minutes ago, sherpa said:

and the US taxpayer to bear their internal failure burden

On that, I'm not sure. The costs are obvious, the benefits more difficult to calculate. A lot of those failed governments - Cuba, Venezuela, the Soviet Union, and of course going back in time Nazi Germany - have provided us with immense human capital, energy, and productivity.

That's what I mean about having a serious discussion. Costs and benefits. How do we try to keep the benefits while lowering the costs?

9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

There is a lot to that. 

On that, I'm not sure. The costs are obvious, the benefits more difficult to calculate. A lot of those failed governments - Cuba, Venezuela, the Soviet Union, and of course going back in time Nazi Germany - have provided us with immense human capital, energy, and productivity.

That's what I mean about having a serious discussion. Costs and benefits. How do we try to keep the benefits while lowering the costs?

I watched this closely for a decade.

I can opine, with no reasonable doubt, that the people storming our border from failed governments ae not adding to the issues you suggest.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

There is a lot to that. 

Maybe 60 years ago, when hard work/ethic and assimilating into society meant something.

• Like (+1) 1

The commercialization of illegal migration. I thought I couldn't be shocked by anything else in the smuggling world. I was wrong. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/14/world/americas/migrant-business-darien-gap.html

Every step through the jungle, there is money to be made.

The boat ride to reach the rainforest: $40. A guide on the treacherous route once you start walking: $170. A porter to carry your backpack over the muddy mountains: $100. A plate of chicken and rice after arduous climbing: $10. Special, all-inclusive packages to make the perilous slog faster and more bearable, with tents, boots and other necessities: $500, or more.

Hundreds of thousands of migrants are now pouring through a sliver of jungle known as the Darién Gap, the only land route to the United States from South America, in a record tide that the Biden administration and the Colombian government have vowed to stop.

But the windfall here at the edge of the continent is simply too big to pass up, and the entrepreneurs behind the migrant gold rush are not underground smugglers hiding from the authorities.

They are politicians, prominent businessmen and elected leaders, now sending thousands of migrants toward the United States in plain sight each day — and charging millions of dollars a month for the privilege.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The commercialization of illegal migration. I thought I couldn't be shocked by anything else in the smuggling world. I was wrong. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/14/world/americas/migrant-business-darien-gap.html

Every step through the jungle, there is money to be made.

The boat ride to reach the rainforest: $40. A guide on the treacherous route once you start walking: $170. A porter to carry your backpack over the muddy mountains: $100. A plate of chicken and rice after arduous climbing: $10. Special, all-inclusive packages to make the perilous slog faster and more bearable, with tents, boots and other necessities: $500, or more.

Hundreds of thousands of migrants are now pouring through a sliver of jungle known as the Darién Gap, the only land route to the United States from South America, in a record tide that the Biden administration and the Colombian government have vowed to stop.

But the windfall here at the edge of the continent is simply too big to pass up, and the entrepreneurs behind the migrant gold rush are not underground smugglers hiding from the authorities.

They are politicians, prominent businessmen and elected leaders, now sending thousands of migrants toward the United States in plain sight each day — and charging millions of dollars a month for the privilege.

then it's the cash here.  look up what these NGO's and resettlement groups like catholic charities or Family international (so shady as that group/cult has a long history of human trafficking) make from it.

Got a feeling all the landowners of the half empty hotels now being filled and paid fully are pleased.

Then you got to include the monetary pull factor. when Asylum packages pay more than the median income in most of south America, its a real pull.

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

then it's the cash here.  look up what these NGO's and resettlement groups like catholic charities or Family international (so shady as that group/cult has a long history of human trafficking) make from it.

Got a feeling all the landowners of the half empty hotels now being filled and paid fully are pleased.

Then you got to include the monetary pull factor. when Asylum packages pay more than the median income in most of south America, its a real pull.

There is an immigrant-industrial complex of charities that benefits through grants, etc, and that has - for both honest/humanitarian reasons and less honorable self-preservation reasons - a strong lobbying interest against any change in the current broken system. I will admit that.

I will, however, have to correct the idea that "asylum packages pay more ... ." There really is no such thing, and a lot of this new flow of immigrants seem surprised (again, I know people who work in this field) that there isn't, and that they have zero money to pay rent much less hire a lawyer. 

This is why I'm so frustrated with the current illegal immigration debate: walls, executing fentanyl smugglers on the spot, not putting people in cages, etc. All talking points from a bygone era of smuggling. 

The solution has to do with cutting off the industrialized/cartelized smuggling operations like the one described in such great detail here.

Say what you will about the NY Times - their reporting here is detailed and excellent, and reveals an even greater problem that we've let get completely out of control over the last 5-10 years or so.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

There is an immigrant-industrial complex of charities that benefits through grants, etc, and that has - for both honest/humanitarian reasons and less honorable self-preservation reasons - a strong lobbying interest against any change in the current broken system. I will admit that.

I will, however, have to correct the idea that "asylum packages pay more ... ." There really is no such thing, and a lot of this new flow of immigrants seem surprised (again, I know people who work in this field) that there isn't, and that they have zero money to pay rent much less hire a lawyer. 

once one applies for asylum, there are a lot of packages they receive.  Illegals hiding from the system/state, not so much.  up here in NY, no shortage of benefits available.

Providers | Refugee Services | OTDA (ny.gov)

it does differ by state. 

and on the first part. it's absolutely insane a group (family international) was a cult with human trafficking convictions.  was able to just rebrand and start lobbying.  while the cult is still active all across the country.  you can't make it up.  Karen Zerby was the wife of David Berg. David Berg was the cult leader of the family of God.  Karen renamed it the family international and somehow its golden. 

Judge declares Biden version of DACA illegal

Politico, by Maya Ward & Josh Gerstein

A federal judge in Texas on Wednesday again ruled that the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program is illegal, but kept it intact for now for hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants who arrived in the U.S. as children.

After the Biden administration moved last year to finalize a rule to codify the Obama-era DACA policy into a federal regulation, a group of Republican-led states challenged the effort and asked Texas-based U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen to shut down the program in its entirety over two years.

As expected, Hanen on Wednesday ruled the Biden administration’s effort unlawful, but refrained from terminating the program and maintained the status quo

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/13/judge-biden-version-of-daca-illegal-00115816

• Awesome! (+1) 1

AOC and Other Democrats Face Angry Backlash at Illegal Immigrant Crisis News Conference

6c98120b-09fb-4d4f-ab64-f83c09385ee5-105

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and some other Democrat officials were loudly heckled and shouted down at a press conference on the city's illegal immigrant crisis in New York this morning.

One of the other Democrats at the conference, Rep. Adriano Espaillat (D-NY), served up a big platter of the current Democrat talking points on illegal immigration; these are the sort of talking points one finds beneath the north end of a southbound horse:

Rep. Adriano Espaillat, D-N.Y., said the delegation was there to "see for themselves what the migration dynamic is in our nation," and that they saw children, families, "people that want to work, people that are fleeing violence, people that are fleeing environmental disasters.

"We see so many stories, heartbreaking stories manifest itself here. What I think, these are folks that will take New York City to a better place," he said as people kept shouting out in the background.

Let's be honest about this: Most of these people aren't fleeing violence, most aren't fleeing environmental disasters; they are leaving dysfunctional third-world countries, yes, but they come here to get work, to send money home, and many of them will try to bring in their families to take advantage of the US's generous social welfare system.

And some may have other goals, goals that could have an adverse effect on our national security. After all that has happened, after all of the waves of mostly military-age men - including some from China, a nation not known for its friendly relations with the United States at the moment -  flowing over the wide-open southern border, it's amazing that it took this long for a backlash to build up some steam, but it's happening. Even some blue-city politicians are starting to realize that the current situation is untenable. Although the Biden administration, like Ocasio-Cortez and Adriano Espaillat, continue to adhere to the same old repartee.

https://redstate.com/wardclark/2023/09/15/this-week-listings-rep-hakeem-jeffries-rep-nancy-mace-cindy-mccain-and-gen-mark-milley-sunday-on-this-week-with-co-anchor-jonathan-karl-n2163862

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, B-Man said:

AOC and Other Democrats Face Angry Backlash at Illegal Immigrant Crisis News Conference

6c98120b-09fb-4d4f-ab64-f83c09385ee5-105

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and some other Democrat officials were loudly heckled and shouted down at a press conference on the city's illegal immigrant crisis in New York this morning.

One of the other Democrats at the conference, Rep. Adriano Espaillat (D-NY), served up a big platter of the current Democrat talking points on illegal immigration; these are the sort of talking points one finds beneath the north end of a southbound horse:

Let's be honest about this: Most of these people aren't fleeing violence, most aren't fleeing environmental disasters; they are leaving dysfunctional third-world countries, yes, but they come here to get work, to send money home, and many of them will try to bring in their families to take advantage of the US's generous social welfare system.

And some may have other goals, goals that could have an adverse effect on our national security. After all that has happened, after all of the waves of mostly military-age men - including some from China, a nation not known for its friendly relations with the United States at the moment -  flowing over the wide-open southern border, it's amazing that it took this long for a backlash to build up some steam, but it's happening. Even some blue-city politicians are starting to realize that the current situation is untenable. Although the Biden administration, like Ocasio-Cortez and Adriano Espaillat, continue to adhere to the same old repartee.

https://redstate.com/wardclark/2023/09/15/this-week-listings-rep-hakeem-jeffries-rep-nancy-mace-cindy-mccain-and-gen-mark-milley-sunday-on-this-week-with-co-anchor-jonathan-karl-n2163862

I saw this today... the people are fed up with the whole thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hmmmmmmmm.

Only 800 of New York's tens of thousands of illegal immigrants have applied for work authorization

by Kate Daviscourt

It has been revealed that out of the tens of thousands of illegal immigrants that have taken over New York City within the past 18 months, less than two percent have applied for work visas. Democrats at every level of government continue to say that getting more work visas will solve the illegal immigration problem in New York. AOC and other Democrats staged a press conference outside midtown Manhattan's Roosevelt Hotel on Friday to speak about work authorizations, more federal funding, and the American dream, but they were shouted down by constituents who very clearly want the border closed.

https://thepostmillennial.com/only-800-of-new-yorks-tens-of-thousands-of-illegal-immigrants-have-applied-for-work-authorization

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1