Thanks and Farewell to Matt Barkley

Great teammate, and he was the perfect backup for the past few years. Josh needed a mentor early in his career, not someone who could steal his job. You take the losses if Barkley steps in, because having a high character mentor was more important. Allen is now fully established as starter, and our needs at that position change as a result. 

On 3/18/2021 at 8:25 PM, Rc2catch said:

He was a class act here. He made decent money, did his job and I think Allen is a better quarterback having him here the last couple years. 
Best of luck to him in his future. 

You simply couldn't ask for anything more. Matt will always be with us.

Edited by beerme1

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I love MT as a backup but no one is trading for him to be a starter.  

What happens if a teams star starter goes down and they have less than a Matt Barkley at backup? Suddenly MT is a superstar. Available for a solid player and a first round pick. That's a good scenario. So is having MT come in for Josh if needed and win games for us. 

On 3/18/2021 at 5:31 PM, jimmy10 said:

MATTY MATTY BARK BARK

We’ll always have that Jest game, and he’ll always have a place in our hearts. 

Totally agree. Class act and very influential in Josh's development. Coming from a Bruin, " Fight on Matt" and good luck. You'll always be part of the Bills family.  

I will always appreciate him giving 2018 Bills fans a much needed breath of fresh air and torching the Jets after weeks of painful experiences with Nate Peterman and Derek Anderson.   I think that some fans overrated his capability due to being starved for an NFL capable QB but during the Patriots game in 2019, a more realistic performance was given based on his career.   If we had a situation where he had to play for a few games, I feel like you would have had one Jets performance for every three or four patriots performances.    An upgrade was needed.

Barkley was a great guy and a good teammate.   I hope that he lands somewhere and that coaching is in his future. 

Edited by dgrochester55

On 3/18/2021 at 8:39 PM, MarlinTheMagician said:

Barkley has a place in Buffalo football history.  Great teammate, class act.  I was bummed about some stuff the day of that Jets game.  I will never forget it.  Go get 'em in whatever you do next Mr. Barkley.  And thank you!  

Come on...good guy and good teammate but a place in history? He didn't do anything memorable

• Like (+1) 1

I think he was a good mentor to Josh Allen. Won't surprise me to see him become a fine coach in the future.

Backup QB has to be one of the best jobs in the NFL next to team owner and cheerleader tryout executive.

59 minutes ago, nucci said:

Come on...good guy and good teammate but a place in history? He didn't do anything memorable

The Renegade Dance.  LOL.  

His legacy is more of an assistant coach in the QB room, a team first guy with a great sense of humor, and he and his wife were contributors to the positive culture of the Bills players.  

Great guy.  Class act.  He did a lot for the community too. 

http://urbanctr.org/2020/04/21/barkley-family-shows-their-love-for-children-at-hope-house/

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Agree 1

Did Barkley start a cult while he was here? Did we ever do this for a backup qb? Nice guy for sure but this is wild.  Hell, Tyrod helped take us end our playoff drought and he got crapped on (still by some fans) and Barkley is thrown a parade. It’s weird. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Did Barkley start a cult while he was here? Did we ever do this for a backup qb? Nice guy for sure but this is wild.  Hell, Tyrod helped take us end our playoff drought and he got crapped on (still by some fans) and Barkley is thrown a parade. It’s weird. 

He is from SoCal, he might have learned some cult leader skills 😆 

Edited by SirAndrew

20 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

I dreaded the thought of him entering when trailing late in a winnable game; I like Barkley as much as any former Bill that didn't contribute to negativity on-field, but the Barkley love is a bit strange.

Wasn't exactly Frank Reich.

Not too many Frank Reich’s around in the NFL unless you count Fitz. I liked Barkley but didn’t love him like most on here do. Could’ve won that patriots game until he threw that INT that sealed the game. 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Barkley in some ways is a better QB than Tyrod. He’s not afraid to throw the ball downfield and take chances where as Tyrod was extremely afraid to take chances and usually would take off if his first or second read wasn’t there. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jeebus, Man, what crawled up your nose?  It’s an appreciation thread.  A chance for fans to express positive memories about Bitcoin Barkley.  Why is that a problem for you?  If you don’t have any positive memories and don’t want to express appreciation, Move Along!

I could be mistaken, but I believe Tyrod Taylor had a thread like this when he was traded

I’m not exactly sure what your point is, except that opportunity to push the narrative that Taylor was somehow unfairly treated and under-appreciated seems to excite you.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1