Joe Thuney to Chiefs

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

wow lets see if he does well there.  has any o line player left them and played well?

Logan Mankins. Thuney is that level of player for me too. This isn't Nate Solder or Trent Brown. This guy can play. Blow for New England because Thuney - Andrews - Mason as an IOL was one of the strengths of their roster.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No but 

Excellent player and definitely a big step towards KC improving their O-line and protecting Mahomes. BUT the money is insane. A big overpay even for a normal free agency year and at a devalued position where you can often find young, cheap starting talent in Rounds 2-4.

I wish Thuney hadn't gone to the Chiefs because he makes them better, but if I was a KC fan, I'd feel conflicted about this signing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

KC trying to protect Mahomes, basically Mahomes restructured his deal to bring in Thuney. I also expect pick 31 to be an offensive tackle too and I wouldn't be shocked if their second rounder is also along the O-line and they kick the tires on some vets too. Not a huge upgrade for KC in my opinion as they lost their starting tackles but a big step in getting back to the team they once were.

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Excellent player and definitely a big step towards KC improving their O-line and protecting Mahomes. BUT the money is insane. A big overpay even for a normal free agency year and at a devalued position where you can often find young, cheap starting talent in Rounds 2-4.

I wish Thuney hadn't gone to the Chiefs because he makes them better, but if I was a KC fan, I'd feel conflicted about this signing. 

The thing is though, they didn’t lose any offensive guards. They lost at least two, and likely will lose all three, of their starting offensive tackles. It would’ve been smarter for them to go after Trent Williams.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Logan Mankins. Thuney is that level of player for me too. This isn't Nate Solder or Trent Brown. This guy can play. Blow for New England because Thuney - Andrews - Mason as an IOL was one of the strengths of their roster.

Yes that was one group that you could basically count on taking it to the Bills every game. Glad he's gone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Well said. This is a huge overpay. If he can play tackle as well as he has played guard, then maybe it’s less of an overpay. That money for a guard is laughable. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

If the very best teams are utilizing creative accounting to allow them to sign difference-making players, the Bills should as well. So far, Beane hasn't used any tricky moves to clear space. He'll need to move away from traditional methods if they are not allowing him to improve the roster. We need speed and big-time impact players for the pass rush and on offense.

Certain teams want to treat the salary cap like a "credit card", or loan, that is their prerogative.  Eventually everyone pays up, some teams are realizing that the hard way this season (ie: Steelers and Saints).  Eventually players begin to decline and that investment quickly turns into sinking costs, ie: Steelers continued to re-do Ben Roethlisberger's contract and now likely regret that decision.  Sure the Chiefs of the NFL are happy now, just wait 3-4 yrs.

Beane said on day 1 they were building the team for sustained long-term success, and balancing the win-now approach vs mortgaging the future.  It should be no.surprise Buffalo is managing the cap, like a well disciplined person/family doesn't over spend their means.  It will lead to what we had last yr, without having to roster purge.  Quick ppl forget the mess that Beane walked into, regarding cap issues.  

I think it's easy to get caught up with what everyone else is doing.  Best approach will always be to build.through the draft, and sign your successful players to 2nd/3rd contracts...we are seeing that play out over the past 2 offseasons and that will continue.  

2 hours ago, Doc said:

The thing is though, they didn’t lose any offensive guards. They lost at least two, and likely will lose all three, of their starting offensive tackles. It would’ve been smarter for them to go after Trent Williams.

Thuney only hitting the cap at about 5 mil this year.   KC has plenty more to spend.  Don't be surprised if you hear KC has ALSO signed Williams soon.

As far as KC signing a Guard, even though we lost/cut our two tackles....I've said here many many times...KC has had trash for interior line for YEARS...this was badly needed.  KC will roll with Niang on the right side most likely...and as I mentioned....don't be surprised at all if Trent Williams is a Chief in the next 24 hours.  KC has freed up more money...Williams hasn't signed yet and reports are he's simply going to highest bidder.  SF and KC are the bidders at this point.

I also want to point out again, that the CAP is just an accounting structure that teams must work within.  

IF you believe the cap will keep expanding....AND you have ownership that doesn't have a problem writing signing bonus checks up front...you can kick that can as far as you want to kick it.....YES, you eventually have to pay that piper someday....but if you manage it reasonably well, you can kick and kick and kick until YOU decide when to pay the piper.  

Just as KC has Mahomes on a big extension...that still has NOT kicked in...the Bills will be on this path with Allen soon too....As long as you draft well enough to have some of the starters on your team, on cheap rookie deals....outperforming their paychecks....then the cap is just framework that you deal with year to year.....so for KC and Buffalo.....the game is going to be kicking the can to the end of Mahomes and Allens careers.....and by the time they retire etc..you are rebuilding anyway....you can pay the piper when THAT day comes....people WAY WAY overestimate the limiting power (or lack of it) that the cap has.....

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Certain teams want to treat the salary cap like a "credit card", or loan, that is their prerogative.  Eventually everyone pays up, some teams are realizing that the hard way this season (ie: Steelers and Saints).  Eventually players begin to decline and that investment quickly turns into sinking costs, ie: Steelers continued to re-do Ben Roethlisberger's contract and now likely regret that decision.  Sure the Chiefs of the NFL are happy now, just wait 3-4 yrs.

Beane said on day 1 they were building the team for sustained long-term success, and balancing the win-now approach vs mortgaging the future.  It should be no.surprise Buffalo is managing the cap, like a well disciplined person/family doesn't over spend their means.  It will lead to what we had last yr, without having to roster purge.  Quick ppl forget the mess that Beane walked into, regarding cap issues.  

I think it's easy to get caught up with what everyone else is doing.  Best approach will always be to build.through the draft, and sign your successful players to 2nd/3rd contracts...we are seeing that play out over the past 2 offseasons and that will continue.  

Then we'll probably always just be really good, not quite good enough, because we aren't willing to make those final moves to put us over the top.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

ehhhh doubtful.  

Lost - Thuney, Brooks

Gained - Judon, Smith, Mills, Agholor, Godchzux, Bourne, Anderson

Of their remaining free agents - maybe white and andrews?  Most wont make enough to qualify

Guess you missed my follow-up on the prior page. It wasn't really a serious statement...I suppose the sarcasm was too subtle and got lost in translation.