Washington [Edit:] released Alex Smith (still wants to play)

Per Ian Rapoport.

Perfect backup to Josh. Veteran that has won a ton of games in the NFL, good leader, good athlete even after the injury, limited arm strength but wont kill you.  Alex Smith is the perfect backup QB to come in for 1-4 games and not kill you.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I know this guy has a lot of fans and it's a great comeback story if that's your thing. But I just don't get why a guy who had such a significant injury, who has made that much money, and who has a young family could think that playing on is a sensible decision.

He's not going to win a superbowl because he isn't good enough. I know that he has a great reputation as a mentor, but really? His comments seem really driven by ego and self-centered. I just don't get it. Most of all I hope he doesn't get badly hurt because he can't walk away.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Disagree 2

Smith was a great story this year, the fact he was able to see the field and be semi-successful. Imo, he should hang it up. He's almost 37 years old, has plenty of money, and did what they never thought he would after 17 surgeries. At this point why risk anything further. He has nothing to prove to himself or anyone else. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly, as much as I admire him for his dedication to coming back, he was just painful to watch....as in, every time he was under pressure, I was holding my breath expecting to see blood.  I wish, for his own sake, he would hang it up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Smith was a great story this year, the fact he was able to see the field and be semi-successful. Imo, he should hang it up. He's almost 37 years old, has plenty of money, and did what they never thought he would after 17 surgeries. At this point why risk anything further. He has nothing to prove to himself or anyone else. 

He should heed this advice, but it sure doesn’t seem that he has any interest in it. A team who drafts any first round QB not named Trevor Lawrence should have him on speed dial.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Honestly, as much as I admire him for his dedication to coming back, he was just painful to watch....as in, every time he was under pressure, I was holding my breath expecting to see blood.  I wish, for his own sake, he would hang it up.

Totally agree. Great story but I can see it ending very badly. He would be an excellent backup but I hope he just retires since he got some closure.

7 minutes ago, Buftex said:

It's not like he's doing this under his own guidance. I mean, Dak Prescott is coming back after a similar injury. The broken leg was like 20% of Smith's issue. The reason he missed so much time was because of the flesh eating bacteria he contracted. He's got doctor approval to play, and as a backup we would actually be ensuring he doesn't land somewhere as a starter.

It would also be kind of fitting that the guy who mentored Mahomes would take on the same role with Allen, which seems to be something he actually embraces.

1 minute ago, Boxcar said:

It's not like he's doing this under his own guidance. I mean, Dak Prescott is coming back after a similar injury. The broken leg was like 20% of Smith's issue. The reason he missed so much time was because of the flesh eating bacteria he contracted. He's got doctor approval to play, and as a backup we would actually be ensuring he doesn't land somewhere as a starter.

It would also be kind of fitting that the guy who mentored Mahomes would take on the same role with Allen, which seems to be something he actually embraces.

I think he thinks he’s a starter.  

6 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I think Davis Webb is the perfect backup for Allen next season.

Based on???

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't see it?  Do you have a link?

If you decide to look for it on your own, it's not the 60 minutes one. That one was entirely about his injury and recovery. Interesting but the team was barely mentioned.