The Athletic: Russell Wilson and Seahawks growing further apart

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I looked up McMahon because I didn’t see him play and I know they won a SB with him. Dude sucked. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McMaJi00.htm

??? - McMahon was objectively above average in 6 of the 7 seasons he played for Chicago. Always look at adjusted passing, which compares like to like--and not McMahon circa 1985 to Patrick Mahomes circa 2019.  A rating in the low 80s in that era was pretty darn good. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McMaJi00.htm

He had only one season where he wasn't at least league average or better in the completion percentage category.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

??? - McMahon was objectively above average in 6 of the 7 seasons he played for Chicago. Always look at adjusted passing, which compares like to like--and not McMahon circa 1985 to Patrick Mahomes circa 2019.  A rating in the low 80s in that era was pretty darn good. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McMaJi00.htm

He had a career high of 15 tds and was closer to 12.  Averaged about 2,000 yards. I know it was a much harder era for qbs, but those are pretty garbage stats especially with the talent he had around him. 

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He had a career high of 15 tds and was closer to 12.  Averaged about 2,000 yards. I know it was a much harder era for qbs, but those are pretty garbage stats especially with the talent he had around him. 

Did you look at the adjusted stats? Or just the raw counting stats? The latter don't mean much to me. 

Bear in the mind that Chicago led the league in rushing three straight years (1984-86) and were always run-heavy, that they passed far less than average teams, and that McMahon played in 2 strike-shortened seasons (1982 and 1987). From 1983-86, they never finished worst than 7th in offensive yardage, and in 1987 and 1988 they finished 11th and 12th. 

Edited by dave mcbride

On 2/10/2021 at 10:55 AM, H2o said:

There have been a few reports about how the Seahawks almost traded Wilson in 2018, with the pick supposedly going to be Josh Allen. Now you have multiple reports about Wilson being frustrated over not being involved in personnel decisions. These stories are starting to gain some steam after Russell Wilson's interview the other day. There is also talk of how he is a bit frustrated with how Pete Carroll wants the offense structured. Is this another relationship headed in a direction beyond possible repair? Below you will find a couple of links with quoted excerpts. You will need to read the full stories to get the complete context, but Russ sounds like he may be looking to chef it up somewhere else imo. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30868595/russell-wilson-frustrated-getting-hit-too-much-wants-more-say-seattle-seahawks-moves

"And I think that the reality of professional sports is things happen, things change. I'm not sure how long I'll play in Seattle. I think, hopefully, it can be forever. But things change, obviously, along the way. I think you focus on what you can control every day and try to be the best version of yourself and ultimately try to win championships. I think that's why I play this game."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/09/brandon-marshall-says-russell-wilson-is-beyond-frustrated-with-seahawks/

“Russell Wilson is beyond frustrated. I think Russell Wilson is trying to figure out how to move on in a classy way. That’s what I truly believe.,” Marshall said. “… He’s trying to leave the legacy that he did things the right way so other guys can follow that same blueprint. So I think he struggles with how to move on in a classy way, in a way where people can look at him and say you know what, he still did it the right way. Because that’s important for Russ.”

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sub required on the Athletic article (worth it IMO). I provided some key segments later in thread.

People were laughing at this idea when I created the thread a couple of weeks ago. Looks like there was some traction after all. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Let’s just hope that something like this NEVER happens with JA.

#ABuffaloBillForLife

Nobody will ever hold Josh Allen more accountable than he holds himself, so I doubt it. 

Wilson if traded will want to go a team that is built to go far in the playoffs. 

I really really hate to say this.... But Miami has to be thinking... hmmm

lol

This is going to be one of the craziest years with teams having new QB's.  The Draft is going to have a ton of QB's go round one no matter where the talent is at.

crazy year

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Wilson if traded will want to go a team that is built to go far in the playoffs. 

lol

This is going to be one of the craziest years with teams having new QB's.  The Draft is going to have a ton of QB's go round one no matter where the talent is at.

crazy year

Well, Miami isn't listed as one of the destinations he would waive the "no trade" clause for so that's a good thing. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/25/agent-says-russell-wilson-would-accept-a-trade-only-to-the-cowboys-saints-raiders-or-bears/

• Like (+1) 1

Good for Wilson. If he doesn't think Seattle is moving in the right direction, then he's free to look at alternate options.

It was the same for Diggs - didn't like how Minnesota was a run-first team, forced his way out, and both teams made out in the deal. 

43 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Troy Aikman averaged about 14 passing TD's per season, 2,700 yards per season and about 12 INT's per season.

He might have had the greatest offensive line in the history of the NFL and also had a HOF running back and WR.

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

lol

crazy year

If the NFL turns into the NBA I’m going to have to learn how to understand the score in Tennis. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I also said WTF is wrong with Wilson.  He went from leading the MVP race to a below average QB in the last 1/4 of the season.

He did and he has done that two years in a row now. He has been the consensus MVP through 8 weeks two years running and fallen apart down the stretch. The point about him hurting protection schemes has some merit too. Didn't see all the Seahawks games down the stretch but I watched that Giants game and I was like "man Russ the pocket was fine why are you escaping?" On at least 3 or 4 occasions.

Interesting times.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I can’t believe all the energy I wasted defending a guy named Losman. He was never going to be good. 

He also looked like a total Douche. Two major red flags. 

also, 7 is a garbage QB number.*

*this opinion may have been birthed in large part by watching JP Losman 

10 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Could it be 300lb men continually crashing into him and the relentless pressure to score 30 points in order for his team to even be in a game? 

We beat the crap out of him. Never seen him get hit like that before. He wasn't the same after that game.

• Agree 1