The Athletic: Russell Wilson and Seahawks growing further apart

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Any smart organization that has an established elite franchise QB locked up for big money should absolutely ask for their opinion.  I'm talking a top 5 established QB in their prime though.

fair enough,  a highly paid proven  veteran qb like a Brady or Rogers or Wilson kind of makes some sense.   Allen is not there as of yet.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness teams are starting to give them more influence. Teams are thinking about the fit with their Quarterback when they hire coaches. The Rams had McVay meet Goff and talk football before they finalised his hiring. The Packers took Rodgers's view before hiring LaFleur. 

Goff was coming off a disappointing (to put it nicely) rookie season when they hired McVay and he didn't have any say in the matter, nor should he have.  As for Rodgers, he and LaFleur didn't get along and LaFleur actually drafted Rodgers' replacement.

I think that a QB should definitely have input on the OC, but not HC and definitely not GM.

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

I hate that the nfl is going the way of the nba.   For me this is a clear case of “stay in you lane Russell”.  He’s the qb, team and community leader.  Now he wants to be a capilogist/gm?   In the nfl that takes a lot of work, let the pros do their job.   If you want an example of how to get away, look no further than Brady...play out your deal and leave. 

As a Nets fan (It’s a 20 minute walk for me to their arena), I’m not ... all that angry about this!

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Goff was coming off a disappointing (to put it nicely) rookie season when they hired McVay and he didn't have any say in the matter, nor should he have.  As for Rodgers, he and LaFleur didn't get along and LaFleur actually drafted Rodgers' replacement.

I think that a QB should definitely have input on the OC, but not HC and definitely not GM.

Goff didn't have a say in the hiring. But the final stage of McVay's interview was to be put in a room with Goff for the Rams to assess the chemistry. Teams know that good Quarterbacks are harder to find than good coaches. 

Rodgers signed off on the LaFleur hiring. I said at the time he should be careful what he wished for. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Goff didn't have a say in the hiring. But the final stage of McVay's interview was to be put in a room with Goff for the Rams to assess the chemistry. Teams know that good Quarterbacks are harder to find than good coaches. 

Rodgers signed off on the LaFleur hiring. I said at the time he should be careful what he wished for. 

Sure, they met with them and (at least in Rodgers' case) signed-off on the hiring, but they didn't have the authority to nix the hiring.  McVay was going to be hired regardless of chemistry with Goff because he was supposed to be a boy genius who would fix him/ the Rams' offense and so was LaFleur.  And in Rodgers' case, even if he did have the ability to nix the hire (which I doubt), as you said, he should have been careful.  Meaning these guys have no idea what hiring a HC entails, much less a GM.

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

The front office also let go QB coach he respected and stated helped him prepare games.

He was very angry about it and IMO that is the position franchise QB should have most influence.

First the QB coach and then they draft a QB first round in season where they should be (and was) Superbowl contender.

That shows disrespect IMO.

6 hours ago, prissythecat said:

fair enough,  a highly paid proven  veteran qb like a Brady or Rogers or Wilson kind of makes some sense.   Allen is not there as of yet.

Not yet.  However, if Allen has another great year and we're tied to him long term I think the Bills should ask for his input in replacing Daboll assuming he gets a HC job.  It would benefit both parties short and long term.  Luckily, McDermott and Beane are smart enough to realize this.

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

This may have been brewing ever since Pete Carroll called that goal line pass to Malcolm Butler in the SB.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Mostly agree with this but there’s a few guys who should have a big say in it. As much as we over analyze team building, it all comes down to the qb position. The Bills with 2019 Allen were frisky. The bills with 2020 Allen are SB contenders. If he plays at this level for a couple more years and something happens with SM, I definitely think he deserves a say.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

As a Nets fan (It’s a 20 minute walk for me to their arena), I’m not ... all that angry about this!

As someone who spent a lot of time in Brooklyn and became a “Nets” fan when they moved there, this is such an unlikable team. I hate what Harden did. Kyrie and Durant are total weirdos and hate that the nba has become this crybaby league where everyone just teams up with each other. Like Joe Harris though.

and side note, is there a worse nickname than Nets? Be the Brooklyn Hipsters or something. 

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

1 - I love that Carroll’s son, who has everything handed to him, is frustrated with his role.

2 - Wilson’s washed up singer wife doesn’t want to be in Seattle and Russell is a weirdo, simp and is trying to appease her.

• Agree 1

On 2/25/2021 at 3:01 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Petey wants to run the ball, and Russ just wants to “cook.” He’s jelly of the OL Brady had to be able to not get sacked, and throwing a fit about his circumstances. His ego can’t handle that he’s being passed by guys like mahomes, Watson, even Allen in mvp races while Brady, 10 years older, is still winning SBs. I think he’s feeling left out and worried he’s going to waste away the last years of his prime in the PNW with no mvps and no more rings. At least in Huge markets like Dallas and Chicago he would be more celebrated as an icon even if he didn’t win another ring . Saints make sense because they are on the doorstep of a SB, just add QB. Raiders.... eh I got nothing except Vegas, baby!

Ok, but if he's worried about his O-Line, why in God's name would he name Dallas, Chicago, Miami and I forgot the last team but I know they have a worse O-Line than Seattle?

Did Russ ever think that maybe he's just not quite as good as he thinks he is?

Also, the way he's asking for a trade is hilariously passive aggressive. God he's annoying. I can see why other players would have a hard time dealing with him. He's a cliche machine.

2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Ok, but if he's worried about his O-Line, why in God's name would he name Dallas, Chicago, Miami and I forgot the last team but I know they have a worse O-Line than Seattle?

Also, the way he's asking for a trade is hilariously passive aggressive. God he's annoying. I can see why other players would have a hard time dealing with him. He's a cliche machine.

I definitely think he is a top 5 guy and Seattle’s system hold him back. But there is zero doubt he is a weirdo. I believe when the defense was awesome, a lot of guys didn’t like him. 

I think while he is super weird, he doesn’t want to be disliked by Seattle forcing for forcing his way out so that’s why he is doing this whole passive aggressive thing. 

48 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I definitely think he is a top 5 guy and Seattle’s system hold him back. But there is zero doubt he is a weirdo. I believe when the defense was awesome, a lot of guys didn’t like him. 

I think while he is super weird, he doesn’t want to be disliked by Seattle forcing for forcing his way out so that’s why he is doing this whole passive aggressive thing. 

I don't think he's a top 5 guy tbh. Maybe borderline right now, but there are 5 clear guys I think are better than Wilson right now (Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Watson, Brady) and a few I think could be better as soon as next season (Herbert, Lawrence?) And then a bunch of guys who are in his tier (Jackson, Stafford, Tannehill, etc.)

Maybe I'm selling him short, idk, but I'm not really surprised he's never gotten a MVP vote. Plus he's annoying.

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

I don’t think Miami was one. Saints were the other nfc team and then Raiders was the 4th.

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think Miami was one. Saints were the other nfc team and then Raiders was the 4th.

Right, I didn't mention the Saints because they have a better O-Line, but the Raiders are even worse of a choice.

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

J E S T. JEST! JEST! JEST!

41 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I don't think he's a top 5 guy tbh. Maybe borderline right now, but there are 5 clear guys I think are better than Wilson right now (Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Watson, Brady) and a few I think could be better as soon as next season (Herbert, Lawrence?) And then a bunch of guys who are in his tier (Jackson, Stafford, Tannehill, etc.)

Maybe I'm selling him short, idk, but I'm not really surprised he's never gotten a MVP vote. Plus he's annoying.

When they had him on a third round contract he was able to do more but once the money going to other 

But NO college player is better until he proves it

I heard people last year saying Tua was going to be better than many multiyear starters.

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

J E S T. JEST! JEST! JEST!

When they had him on a third round contract he was able to do more but once the money going to other 

But NO college player is better until he proves it

I heard people last year saying Tua was going to be better than many multiyear starters.

I said could be. And Herbert is already pretty close.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1 - I love that Carroll’s son, who has everything handed to him, is frustrated with his role.

2 - Wilson’s washed up singer wife doesn’t want to be in Seattle and Russell is a weirdo, simp and is trying to appease her.

1 - Again with your daddy issues 😂

2 - He does strike me as a likely simp,   in fairness his current partner is a massive upgrade in every superficial regard on the one that he had that cheated on him with Golden Taint.  She has that for leverage. 

• Like (+1) 1