The Athletic: Russell Wilson and Seahawks growing further apart

YoloinOhio

34 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

It might be just me but I don’t care for Wilson. He seems too phony and a bit of a pre-Madonna in my eyes. 

like he would be the type to get his feelings hurt by people in a meeting to think his idea isn’t good enough. Oh wait.....

I think he is a bit out of touch with reality.   He was a rich kid gifted with a ton of athletic ability who now lives a very celebrity filled lifestyle.    I think he is an excellent quarterback, but I am not sure his background, and current life lends a lot to being able to relate to his teammates.   Honestly think the guy's constitution was better suited for baseball.   That said, I hope to God he isnt traded.

12 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Let’s just hope that something like this NEVER happens with JA.

#ABuffaloBillForLife

Just keep in mind that it's not all Russell Wilson or DeShaun Watson when the team goes down this road.

Pete Carroll and his choice to de-prioritize maintaining the OL, his coaching style, and his choices on offense have something to do with it.

Just as Bill O'Brien, McNair, and The Cult Leader do down in Texas.

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think he is a bit out of touch with reality.   He was a rich kid gifted with a ton of athletic ability who now lives a very celebrity filled lifestyle.    I think he is an excellent quarterback, but I am not sure his background, and current life lends a lot to being able to relate to his teammates.   Honestly think the guy's constitution was better suited for baseball.   That said, I hope to God he isnt traded.

LOL go to Wilson's Wiki page and read his early life and family section. It mentions Charlemagne.  I Kid You Not 😅

Wilson to the Jets 👍

14 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Let’s just hope that something like this NEVER happens with JA.

#ABuffaloBillForLife

A very critical point of Allen’s career will be who replaces Daboll when the time comes. If the Bills see him as their franchise, they must include him in that process and seriously consider his opinions. They absolutely have to get that hire right. This is not said in relation to the Watson situation as that was about the HC. It is somewhat related to the Carson Wentz fallout, as the changing of the guard at OC after Reich left to be a HC was poorly handled internally from reports and a poor selection.

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

A very critical point of Allen’s career will be who replaces Daboll when the time comes. If the Bills see him as their franchise, they must include him in that process and seriously consider his opinions. They absolutely have to get that hire right. This is not said in relation to the Watson situation as that was about the HC. It is somewhat related to the Carson Wentz fallout, as the changing of the guard at OC after Reich left to be a HC was poorly handled internally from reports and a poor selection.

That'll be one critical point.  But another critical point will be roster management.

Daboll pointed out that they had one 1st round pick on offense.  I think an argument could be made for considering Diggs as a 1st rounder since that's what we gave for him.  Meanwhile the Bills have 5 1st round picks (3 of ours, 2 from other teams) on D.

Currently, we've got $22M more cap committed to D than to O.

Obviously, building a strong D is both necessary to win Championships and helpful to take some pressure off the Offense, but there has to be a balance.  The # of top picks and cap space invested on one or the other side of the ball aren't the only metric of balance, but they're "watch out" signs.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Agreed. Every time I buy the Russel hype train it crashes into a lake. I'm at the point he is a top 10 guy but the reason Seattle went to SB's was the defense not him.

Since their last SB appearance, the Seahawks have average 10.3 wins per year.  Since then, Wilson has averaged 4000 yards, 33 passing TDs per year.  In 2017, he threw for or ran for 37 of the teams total of 38 TDs---and that was the only year they didn't make the playoffs.  They have been top 10 in scoring 7 of his 9 years.

This season, he completed 68% of his passes for 40 TDs, 4200 yards on 13 INTs.  They won the division for the first time since 2016 (and the 4th time with Wilson).

It's not hype, and there is no lake crash.

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

So, the question is whose acquisition cost will be higher, Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson? Russell has a Super Bowl on his résumé and a lot of winning seasons. Deshaun is younger, but his stats and skillset jump off the page.

Well, for 1 season they did...

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Seahawks defense in the 2nd half of the season didn't give up more than 23 points in any game.

After they lost to the Bills, the defense completely changed it around.

Yes, there is blame to go all around but Wilson's play also dropped off.  That coach that said he's been killing the protections and seeing ghosts....you don't think there's any truth to that?

After the Bills game, the Seahawks went 6-2, same as the first 8 games.  Wilson took more sacks in the first half of the season than the second half.  Yeah he looked off the second half of the season (see: Brady, last year), but that team is absolutely dead in the water without him.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IMO, Daboll sucker-punched both Carroll and Belicheck with that first NE run-run-run game plan.

It made sense.  The weather was crap.  It was a day built to run the ball.

But look at it from Pete Carroll's perspective.  I would guess that while well-prepared coaches look at a team's entire body of work, they focus most on the team's most recent games.   I think Carroll looked at the Bills at Tenn, KC, and Jets and said "OK, their young QB is still confused by zone, and he seems to be regressing some with his accuracy".  Then he looked at the NE game and said "so now they're compensating by turning to the run, I see it, I Got the Flick".

Somehow he missed the weather vs NE and the linebacker brace, which came off at the end of the KC game but was still there in the form of heavy kinesotape and a less limiting brace vs. Jets and NE.  Details.

BOOM!  Surprise!  Here comes the Josh Allen Laser Light Show.

Similar thing with Belicheck.  He actually said "I think we did a pretty good job of containing him (Allen) Week 8" as though it was his defense, and not the game plan, that led to 38 rush plays and 18 pass attempts.  Surprise!

As far as Russ Wilson, though, several of the Bills defenders commented (and hushed themselves) that they saw "tells" in the Seahawks pass game.  After we mauled them a bit, I think other teams were probably looking double-time and found some.

Russ has a fair beef IMO that the Seasnakes treated their OL like a red-headed stepchild, to the hindrance of both their ability to run the ball and their ability to protect him.  But he doesn't seem too interested in looking at what role he may play in his own problems.  If he's looking at Brady as that story quotes:

Russ needs to look at what Brady does.  He's the master of understanding what the D is doing and what that means for his answers, presnap and just after the snap, and hitting those answers immediately whether it's a checkdown, over the middle or a long bomb (or a throw-away).  Russ sometimes seems like a cook with limited ingredients, despite having two of the most dangerous receivers in the NFL game.

Wilson made Lockett and Metcalf, not vice Versa.  Just like he made Doug Baldwin. Seattle kinda sucks at scouting offensive players. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

After the Bills game, the Seahawks went 6-2, same as the first 8 games.  Wilson took more sacks in the first half of the season than the second half.  Yeah he looked off the second half of the season (see: Brady, last year), but that team is absolutely dead in the water without him.

Yeah I'm not arguing he isn't a franchise level QB or anything like that....he was just not the same in the 2nd half of the season.  

2 hours ago, CaliBills said:

It might be just me but I don’t care for Wilson. He seems too phony and a bit of a pre-Madonna in my eyes. 

like he would be the type to get his feelings hurt by people in a meeting to think his idea isn’t good enough. Oh wait.....

I think he’s just a giant weirdo. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wilson made Lockett and Metcalf, not vice Versa.  Just like he made Doug Baldwin. Seattle kinda sucks at scouting offensive players. 

When you bring up Metcalf and Lockett, both drafted by the Seahawks who are very good receivers....and yet you say they kinda suck at scouting offensive talent?

Not to mention Wilson who they drafted as well.  

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

When you bring up Metcalf and Lockett, both drafted by the Seahawks who are very good receivers....and yet you say they kinda suck at scouting offensive talent?

Not to mention Wilson who they drafted as well.  

Metcalf is absolutely in the perfect situation with Wilson. He runs like 2 routes. Freak athlete but say if he went to the Jags or Jets, he would be whatever. Lockett is an undersized 3rd round receiver. 

Wilson is really, really good.

Wilson’s contract isn’t trade-able for the Seahawks.  $39m in dead cap for a team built to win now.  And then they’d have to pay at least $20m for Carr.  If they traded Wilson, they’d have to blow up their current team and start from scratch.  More likely scenario is Wilson gets Carroll fired or whoever else he wants gone.  With the no trade clause, the dead cap, and a team built to win now, Wilson holds all the cards.