Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

6 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He’s not getting that lol. He’s got high hopes if he thinks he’s getting 20 million.  But Leonard is younger and his injury history isn’t as bad as Watt’s is. But again we’re gonna have to see what happens 

So you think we should sign Williams because he’ll be cheaper than Watt?  

Very interesting take

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This seems like a pretty big deal if true. I’m surprised it’s not causing a bit more of a ruckus on here.

I would agree, if the article was suggesting that the Bills had emerged as THE favorite.  The title is very misleading however and should have read 'Bills emerging as one of the favorites'.

There're really no new news in that article.

Maybe the picture becomes clearer toward the end of this week.

Edited by NI Bills Fan

7 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

sure there is. Give Watt a 3 year deal, small base salary. Upfront signing bonus in year 1 . Bam low salary cap number , big signing bonus, easily cuttable year 2 and 3. Minimal impact on this years salary cap

The thing is, Watt has to agree to the contract as well. I know it happens to a lot of guys already under contract, but I don't think ribs of guys at the tail end of their careers are going to sign up for deals that make them very easily cuttable.

33 minutes ago, cle23 said:

The thing is, Watt has to agree to the contract as well. I know it happens to a lot of guys already under contract, but I don't think ribs of guys at the tail end of their careers are going to sign up for deals that make them very easily cuttable.

you would if it’s more than the 17.5 mill you were gonna get . Let’s say if you get a 3 year deal at “36 “ million. AAV of 12 a year. Okay year 1 is 4 million base pay with upfront signing bonus of 16 million. That’s 20 mill that dude banks guaranteed. Then spread that other 16 million over the next two. It’s pretty fair for all above. 

9 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

$8m over the cap isn’t much.  Could easily convert Rodgers salary and roster bonus to a signing bonus.  He’s probably due a new contract coming off an MVP year anyway.  Maybe that’s what Watt’s waiting on.  Can’t see Watt going to Green Bay unless Rodgers is a happy camper.  

Real question, is Rodgers ever happy? He looks like a grumpy curmudgeon 99% of the time. I actually think this past season was entirely fueled by him being pissed off about Jordan Love.

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

It’s the same comments that have been already been recycled a lot..

Agreed.  It's actually an interesting example of how random noise is built into something that sounds true and then begins to shape the beliefs of many people.  

One of these days there will be a real report from a person with real, solid information, and then we'll know where Watt likely is headed.   Right now, there's nothing.

11 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If Watt doesn’t pick Green Bay, it won’t have anything to do with the salary cap.  They could easily make it work if they want it to.  

I don’t know if it will be his choice to not pick them. They are going to let their young 1st team all pro center walk but have Money for JJ? Aaron would have a fit. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

So you think we should sign Williams because he’ll be cheaper than Watt?  

Very interesting take

Yes let’s pay 16 million for a vet who at this point will be a rotational player and that’s at the end of his career with a major injury history. That seems really smart, don’t get me wrong I like JJ Watt and once upon a time he was an elite player and if we had the opportunity I would’ve definitely would’ve loved to have seen us go after him.  But he’s fading and is not the same player he used to be. At this point Buffalo would be paying a hefty price for a name.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Yes let’s pay 16 million for a vet who at this point will be a rotational player and that’s at the end of his career with a major injury history. That seems really smart, don’t get me wrong I like JJ Watt and once upon a time he was an elite player and if we had the opportunity I would’ve definitely would’ve loved to have seen us go after him.  But he’s fading and is not the same player he used to be. At this point Buffalo would be paying a hefty price for a name.

He played over 90 percent of Houston's defensive snaps last season, which I think was the highest rate for any d-lineman in the league.

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

so, onto the question that I asked and you clearly avoided:  Do you really think we should sign Leonard Williams because he’ll be cheaper than JJ watt?

He’s no more of a rotational player than Williams would be or any DE we sign for that matter.  No DE in the league plays 100% snaps.  

if he wasn’t fading and was the player that he used to be, his price range would be 22M-25M a year.....that’s why paying him 12-15 isn’t an over pay.  We’d likely sign him to a 1-2 year contract.  

the guy has hasn’t missed a game in 2 of the last 3 seasons.  You’re looking at his sack numbers last season, thinking he isn’t good.....when he was 15th in pass rush win rate.....while being double teamed more than any DE in the league.  

He’s still an impact player and will cost LESS than Leonard Williams

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He played over 90 percent of Houston's defensive snaps last season, which I think was the highest rate for any d-lineman in the league.

Yes but he only accumulated 5 total sacks the whole year. He’s definitely lost some steps. And that was his first year playing 16 total games in how long?

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

so, onto the question that I asked and you clearly avoided:  Do you really think we should sign Leonard Williams because he’ll be cheaper than JJ watt?

He’s no more of a rotational player than Williams would be or any DE we sign for that matter.  No DE in the league plays 100% snaps.  

if he wasn’t fading and was the player that he used to be, his price range would be 22M-25M a year.....that’s why paying him 12-15 isn’t an over pay.  We’d likely sign him to a 1-2 year contract.  

the guy has hasn’t missed a game in 2 of the last 3 seasons.  You’re looking at his sack numbers last season, thinking he isn’t good.....when he was 15th in pass rush win rate.....while being double teamed more than any DE in the league.  

He’s still an impact player and will cost LESS than Leonard Williams

Yes I do think we should pay Williams because he’s younger and is less of a health/injury risk. Watt is not worth the money he wants now. Maybe 6-7 years ago absolutely he’d be worth it but he’s not worth it now. And signing JJ means a player for the short haul. We need a player at that position for the long haul and JJ is not that.

18 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Just go get Leonard Williams, much cheaper and he’s still young. Paying 15-16 million for an aging veteran who at this point would be a rotational player is completely asinine. I saw him a few times last year and he definitely lost a couple steps. But then again it’s not our money and I trust in Beane

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Yes but he only accumulated 5 total sacks the whole year. He’s definitely lost some steps. And that was his first year playing 16 total games in how long?

Yes I do think we should pay Williams because he’s younger and is less of a health/injury risk. Watt is not worth the money he wants now. Maybe 6-7 years ago absolutely he’d be worth it but he’s not worth it now. And signing JJ means a player for the short haul. We need a player at that position for the long haul and JJ is not that.

So.....to answer my question, which you clearly avoided again.....

Do you really think we should sign Leonard Williams because he’ll be much cheaper than JJ watt?  

we don’t NEED a DE long term.  We NEED a Lombardi.  We can sign watt and still add a long term DE in the next year or two.  We need to add a beastly pass rusher and I don’t see why age has anything to do with it. 

Watt will be cheaper than Williams.  Possibly much cheaper.  Williams is trying to secure he and his families future....watt has already done that and is just trying to win his first title.....just like us.

My point in quoting you was to see if you really thought Williams would be “much cheaper” than Watt.  You replied twice and never answers it.  Maybe this time?

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He was the most double-teamed player in the league.