Jump to content

Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]


Recommended Posts

 

This reminds me of Eugene Robinson, who was arrested for soliciting sex the night before the 1999 Super Bowl. I still believe this distraction was a huge reason the Atlanta falcons lost that super bowl and sadly, I think this incident will be the distraction that causes the chiefs to lose 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

personal story on the topic. When me and my ex wife were going to the store one night we were rear ended by a drunk driver with no insurance. My then wife was 6 1/2 months pregnant. The accident cause

Prayers for the five year old and family.  Without commenting specifically on Reid, I’ll just share my opinion that driving after having even one adult beverage is astoundingly selfish.

“Ignorance” has such a negative connotation that I hate to use the word here. It just means a lack of knowledge or awareness. I’m seeing a lot of that here.    Of course the victims get the

Posted Images

6 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Without commenting specifically, some might opine its    “:selfish”  to post / make judgements unless that opinion comes from a perfect person; one who has never made any mistake , made an error, etc. For example, it could be opined that driving while sleepy is selfish, or driving after taking medicine, or driving immediately after a vaccine or injection , or driving while angry or upset, or going threw  a yellow light, not fulling stopping at a stop sign , texting while driving , being distracted in conversation or talking On a phone while driving, interacting with children or a pet , all of theses might be selfish. They probably are!  
 

Hmm, maybe it’s more compassionate or empathetic to try to understand the human condition and that we have probably all been imperfect. I know you weren’t commenting on Reid because that’s what you said and why would anyone feel the need to comment on such low hanging fruit? Yes ,,,,many things impair driving , many much more so than “ one” drink.  That’s just based on pharmacokinetics. I’m glad you have never done anything selfish and can comment from elevated ground.  It IS tragic if something happens related to alcohol.   In fact ANY ACCIDENT is tragic! It’s also tragic when a person ( not commenting on anyone specifically) has no self awareness that they, too, are human and most likely, imperfect. 😇🤔

Thanks for the lecture but it is misplaced.  Let me also point out that your first sentence is a run on sentence, which by your own standards would render you imperfect and thus unqualified to offer an opinion.  I’d prefer you stay on though, because if your standard was properly applied, no person would ever speak.

 

In no way did I intend to imply that I am perfect and I’m not sure where you got that.  I don’t keep a log but my guess is that I do at least a few selfish things every day.  My guess is everyone else on the planet does too.  Although I’d like to improve, I don’t think this condemns me or anyone else to burn in hell nor did I imply anything resembling that.

 

I did not dismiss the tragic nature of other accidents, but it would have been odd to bring up trapped coal miners or someone falling off a roof while clearing ice in this thread.

 

While I don’t disagree with your list, in my opinion driving after drinking has been a bigger issue than driving after receiving a tetanus booster.  It is also something done both voluntarily and for enjoyment, unlike the other things on your list with the notable exception of texting.  Driving after drinking is also pertinent to this topic.

 

For what it’s worth, your argument has not changed my opinion that driving after even one drink is a selfish thing to do and that if no one ever did it, we might find ourselves in a better place.  Anything you might read into that as some sort of judgement is an issue you’ll have to resolve.  There wasn’t any in my first post and there isn’t any now.  

  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Whkfc said:

personal story on the topic. When me and my ex wife were going to the store one night we were rear ended by a drunk driver with no insurance. My then wife was 6 1/2 months pregnant. The accident caused am abruption which was the separation of the placenta from the uterus. Causing her to go into labor and my son being born premature we was under 3 lbs and was i the hospital for 2 1/2 months. We got lucky my son is now 22 years old but seeing his heart stop and having to be shaken by nurses to restarted and the lungs nit being fully formed and him stopping breathing randomly was really scary. I get sometimes good people make mistakes but the last thing you want is to have to live with killing someones child cause you thought you could handle a few drinks and drive.  Sorry not really football or Bills related but i have very strong feelings in drinking and driving 

 

Thank you for sharing your very powerful story. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Without commenting specifically, some might opine its    “:selfish”  to post / make judgements unless that opinion comes from a perfect person; one who has never made any mistake , made an error, etc. For example, it could be opined that driving while sleepy is selfish, or driving after taking medicine, or driving immediately after a vaccine or injection , or driving while angry or upset, or going threw  a yellow light, not fulling stopping at a stop sign , texting while driving , being distracted in conversation or talking On a phone while driving, interacting with children or a pet , all of theses might be selfish. They probably are!  
 

Hmm, maybe it’s more compassionate or empathetic to try to understand the human condition and that we have probably all been imperfect. I know you weren’t commenting on Reid because that’s what you said and why would anyone feel the need to comment on such low hanging fruit? Yes ,,,,many things impair driving , many much more so than “ one” drink.  That’s just based on pharmacokinetics. I’m glad you have never done anything selfish and can comment from elevated ground.  It IS tragic if something happens related to alcohol.   In fact ANY ACCIDENT is tragic! It’s also tragic when a person ( not commenting on anyone specifically) has no self awareness that they, too, are human and most likely, imperfect. 😇🤔

 

This is lost on so many. 

 

I know I’ve had bouts with this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Britt Reid was on Adderall which doesn't play well with alcohol. I'm sure he knows that. Also, he told the police he had 2-3 drinks which seems to be the safe answer for drunken drivers as it puts them right around the legal limit. I've told officers the same thing in the distant past. I'm guessing he had more if he slammed into a couple of cars on the shoulder of an on-ramp. As for 2nd chances, sounds like he has a few already after his road rage incident and former DUIs. If the child dies, he needs to be charged with vehicular manslaughter or whatever the term is in Missouri. 

 

 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

These are the type of things that make it so hard to root for the NFL. If Buffalo didn’t have a team, I couldn’t do it. It seems like women and children are constant collateral damage to the lifestyle of NFL players and coaches. Maybe the NFL should be like a normal employer, and not allow hires with extensive criminal backgrounds on a coaching staff. 


 

 

I just hate this let’s blame the NFL style take.  If you don’t like it don’t watch, but then you should avoid flying, health insurance, other sport leagues, most other major brands, etc.

 

Just a quick google search showed multiple major companies CEO’s getting arrested in the last 2 years for drunk driving.  Another quick search showed several CEO’s getting arrested for domestic violence and a third search shows CEOs getting arrested for sexual abuse.  It includes companies like NASCAR, American Airlines, and Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  
 

Maybe the NFL is more like a normal employer as it happens at all levels of employment and people with convictions get hired all the time (as they should after serving their time or penalty).

 

The rate of issues in the NFL of these types of things is actually lower than within the general population and the NFL does many more good things for people in need.  The truth is those good things are generally not news worthy because they will not make people click on links, but a horrible NFL Domestic violence story or a horrible story like this is going to generate a ton of clicks - so you will get the story and you will get 50 - 100 opinion pieces and follow-ups because those will drive clicks.

 

I do wish the NFL was tougher on some things - like Frank Clark/Tyreek Hill issues and drug issues like Josh Gordon would get permanent bans, but the NFL does punish and can’t ban because that is the agreement with the union.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the prior history I have no sympathy for Britt Reid.   He is just selfish and does not care about anyone but himself.  He should do time if found over the limit.  I don’t know but I bet if you take aderoll you probably should not drink? 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How does the NFL allow this. Reid's son had an extensive background. Sounds like Andy needed to spend a little less time coaching and more time being a father.


That time was in the past and you are probably right.   But you can’t always blame the parents.  I imagine Reid is not sure how to handle Britt after he lost a son to overdose.  But you could argue giving him a prestigious job is enabling.  I feel for Andy I guess as a parent but don’t know him or his culpability. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s terrible. It also has begin to convince me that the Chiefs may lose because of the outside distractions. Remember the 1989 bengals-niners super bowl when Stanley Wilson got arrested before the game and the 1999 SB when Eugene Robinson got arrested during SB week? It’s a real distraction, as is this. Plus KC had the covid stuff going on with the barber and they are missing their 2 starting tackles (while facing two of the best edge rushers in the league).

8 hours ago, major said:

 

This reminds me of Eugene Robinson, who was arrested for soliciting sex the night before the 1999 Super Bowl. I still believe this distraction was a huge reason the Atlanta falcons lost that super bowl and sadly, I think this incident will be the distraction that causes the chiefs to lose 

Great minds think alike! See my post above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:


 

 

I just hate this let’s blame the NFL style take.  If you don’t like it don’t watch, but then you should avoid flying, health insurance, other sport leagues, most other major brands, etc.

 

Just a quick google search showed multiple major companies CEO’s getting arrested in the last 2 years for drunk driving.  Another quick search showed several CEO’s getting arrested for domestic violence and a third search shows CEOs getting arrested for sexual abuse.  It includes companies like NASCAR, American Airlines, and Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  
 

Maybe the NFL is more like a normal employer as it happens at all levels of employment and people with convictions get hired all the time (as they should after serving their time or penalty).

 

The rate of issues in the NFL of these types of things is actually lower than within the general population and the NFL does many more good things for people in need.  The truth is those good things are generally not news worthy because they will not make people click on links, but a horrible NFL Domestic violence story or a horrible story like this is going to generate a ton of clicks - so you will get the story and you will get 50 - 100 opinion pieces and follow-ups because those will drive clicks.

 

I do wish the NFL was tougher on some things - like Frank Clark/Tyreek Hill issues and drug issues like Josh Gordon would get permanent bans, but the NFL does punish and can’t ban because that is the agreement with the union.  

I don’t disagree with everything you’re saying, I just have a slightly different take. I never said that people from all employment backgrounds don’t run into trouble. That was never the case I’m making. I’m also not claiming the NFL is full of bad people. I’m actually making the case that your last paragraph makes. The fact the NFL needs to be tougher when a poor track record is there. I’m all about second chances, but I also like seeing people prove themselves before being given that chance. The NFL is the league of a million chances. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

First....As mentioned in some of the above posts....Andy Ried is a big "second chance" guy.   I am sure some of you hear have probably thought Eric Beienemy should have an NFL job by now....and when you look at his very checkered past....you might see why at least in part...he hasn't gotten one yet....EB has been a "2nd chance" that worked out.  Ried, clearly trying to support his son, has given him employment...and so on...because it's his kid...It's both admirable that he is tyring help his kid...and abhorent that he is trying to help his kid...in that the 35 year kid has a lifelong addiction problem and Ried has put him in a position, to represent the team and community and by doing so, exposing the team to this sort of distraction.  Clearly the no.1 problem is that a child was badly harmed here....and if Ried's son was not employed by the Chiefs....we'd problaby still know and it would still be bad...but it's worse because Ried put his own neck, and the teams wellbeing on the line to help out his kid.....

 

Britt Ried, should find that he can no longer be an employee of the Chiefs after this...and if Andy insists on it...then Andy will have to no longer be an employee of the Chiefs unfortunately.....hopefully, the justice system will deliver justice and hopefully Britt Ried can get whatever help he needs to get past his addiction problem.

 

Second.  A LOT of NFL players are not "good" dudes.  Some are really awful dudes.  Fine...I don't need to know that the guys I am watching are great people...I want to see a sport played at it's highest level....I would like for them all to be good people...but they aren't...I'm at peace with that.  Having said that....I want to once again revisit Tyreek Hill.  Hill is not a "good" dude.  I am not here to convince you he is.  I would however implore you, to consider that there is more to his case than the bits the media has hit on.  It's a FACT that he was convicted of hitting/beating his pregnant girlfriend.  It's also a FACT that the state of Kansas awarded him sole custody of his children once all the dust setlled on the case where he was accused of breaking his kids arm.  The state determined that the mom was likely to have been the person to break the kids arm...the state determined that she and her mother were making false statements, lying, tyring to frame Hill etc.....this was the same woman involved in the college pregnant girlfriend incident.  In recorderings....she admits she made that story up back then....and when you look at actual evidence in that case.....you can make a compelling case that he didn't beat her.  He had no money back then for a lawyer and in a "he said/she said" domestic violence case, it was advisable to plead out to avoid jail time.  Again...Hill isn't a good dude....being involved in these kind of issues more than once isn't a good sign...and saying the crap he's said...suggests he's not a good dude....you don't have to like him..you can hate him all you want.......but he's still in the NFL..and never got the hammer brought down on him from Goodell because there was nothing to bring it down for.  That's all....the narrative that he broke his kids arm gets old... 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Whkfc said:

personal story on the topic. When me and my ex wife were going to the store one night we were rear ended by a drunk driver with no insurance. My then wife was 6 1/2 months pregnant. The accident caused am abruption which was the separation of the placenta from the uterus. Causing her to go into labor and my son being born premature we was under 3 lbs and was i the hospital for 2 1/2 months. We got lucky my son is now 22 years old but seeing his heart stop and having to be shaken by nurses to restarted and the lungs nit being fully formed and him stopping breathing randomly was really scary. I get sometimes good people make mistakes but the last thing you want is to have to live with killing someones child cause you thought you could handle a few drinks and drive.  Sorry not really football or Bills related but i have very strong feelings in drinking and driving 

 


How scary - I am so happy to hear your son is doing well now 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mattynh said:

With all the prior history I have no sympathy for Britt Reid.   He is just selfish and does not care about anyone but himself.  He should do time if found over the limit.  I don’t know but I bet if you take aderoll you probably should not drink? 


The scary thing is, he’s been arrested and done jail time for drugs and if that wasn’t bad enough he lost his brother to addiction.   Yet that’s still not enough to scare him straight.  It seems like he has some real issues.  Also, the fact that he mixed adderrall with alcohol is probably not coincidence.  And what doctor prescribes an adult with substance abuse issue with a drug that can be used recreationally? 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Augie said:

 

“Ignorance” has such a negative connotation that I hate to use the word here. It just means a lack of knowledge or awareness. I’m seeing a lot of that here. 

 

Of course the victims get the bulk of my sympathy. It’s a HORRIBLE tragedy. I also feel for the Reid family. They have already suffered so much. If you know anything about addiction, it muddies these waters. To call Andy Reid “such a poor father” actually makes me feel sorry for you. How many times have you met Andy Reid? How well do you know him and his family? Who are you to judge? Sometimes things go off the rails no matter how hard you try to fix it. Kids from ALL socio-economic backgrounds run into trouble. That’s a fact. 

 

Sometimes in life $%#& happens. I won’t judge you, you just don’t know.  I just ask that you judge less yourself. That, of course, is totally up to you in the end. We just don’t know what we don’t know. 

 

We lost a son to addiction, as others here have. You have NO IDEA what we went thru and how hard we tried.  Don’t be too proud if the dice rolled right for you. Our other son has an outstanding future ahead. Same genes, same values, just a different outcome. Life happens.......

 

As we heard from a great kid/patient at family weekend in rehab, parents take way too much credit and get way too much blame for how their kids turn out. Parents would come congratulate me after our kids sporting events. I’d say “I did nothing, but he played a great game! Just don’t tell him because he doesn’t need a big head!”   :)

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

.

 

 

.

So sorry for your loss Augie, everything you said is spot on and having family dealing with addiction, have seen the same truths play out firsthand. At some point we all make our own choices that our parents have no part in, no matter the circumstances of our upbringing—it can strike no matter the economics, family dynamics, etc. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]
27 minutes ago, mattynh said:


That time was in the past and you are probably right.   But you can’t always blame the parents.  I imagine Reid is not sure how to handle Britt after he lost a son to overdose.  But you could argue giving him a prestigious job is enabling.  I feel for Andy I guess as a parent but don’t know him or his culpability. 

I don’t know Andy Reid from Andy Griffith. I’d hazard a guess that most here don’t.  He could be the best father in the history of the world, or an abusive drunk who gave his boys  oxy to deal with a sprained ankle for a middle school football game.  All I know is he’s a football coach with a penchant for creating dynamic offensive football teams.  
 

Assuming he’s a decent human being trying to make his way in life, perhaps he employed his son not in an attempt to cover for him, but in an attempt to save his life.  That decision does not logically lead, IMO, to what happened last night and the serious injuries to the children involved.  For all we know AR went from the victory over the Bills to a family intervention to get his son back in track. 
 

I’ve learned to deal with what’s in front of me.  What I don’t know about someone else’s life far, far exceeds what I know about people I actually do know.  
 

Btw—one thought.  Quite a few years ago, I was speaking a guy who flipped drugs back in the day from a local city school.  Their primary target was the school districts where the kids with money went, it really boiled down to simple math.  That doesn’t make those kids victims, but society shows us this is much more complicated than rich v middle class v poor.  

 

Finally, my son injured his back (herniated disc) in hs athletics back in the day.  I was always, always in my children’s ear about drugs, opioids and the like.  I believe @Hapless Bills Fanmentioned wisdom tooth surgery causing some of these problems (and I agree), but my one nagging fear was some dopey kid telling my son that some painkillers he grabbed from his dad’s medicine cabinet could take the edge off. As a result, I told my son as often as I could about the danger of the one dopey kid.  This was a very legitimate concern where he attended school. 
 

He listened, and I’m grateful. 
 

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I won't judge Andy Reid but I think judging his son is fair game. You almost kill a kid on your SECOND DUI, I feel ok passing judgement.

 

I think he's actually had more DUI than that, or would have if his Dad couldn't afford the best lawyers.

 

But yes, this guy has a history and should face consequences.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...