Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, whitewashing is the perfect definition. I can also see how someone might use the word “muzzled”,  it could be more of an argument over semantics than the actual sentiment. Regardless, my biggest takeaway harkens back to a point you made in a previous post. There appears to be a disparity between the treatment of coaches and players. Would this whitewashed article be written about a player ? The league so often says the right thing, but something like this could easily be viewed as an insult to players. 

I agree with your sentiment....but I would say that if Britt Reid is still a coach after this....then you'd have "whitewashing" at its finest / worst. 

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Prayers for the five year old and family.  Without commenting specifically on Reid, I’ll just share my opinion that driving after having even one adult beverage is astoundingly selfish.

Don’t go to a Bills game when the fans empty out of the stadium. I’m guessing at least 40,000 are driving with at least 1 beer.

8 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Nope. I won’t cheer for either team. This Super Bowl is not of much interest to me this year unfortunately. Too many unlikable characters. Hill, Brown, Reid, Brady, Suh, etc. 

There's bad eggs on a lot of teams. Where do you draw the line?

Are you watching the game? How can you enjoy without a rooting interest?

Not trying to be a smartass.

23 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Don’t go to a Bills game when the fans empty out of the stadium. I’m guessing at least 40,000 are driving with at least 1 beer.

1 beer is not under influence for most people especially if they ate.  Exaggeration to make a point.

And when you do so the point is at end of your cap.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I shudder to think about 40,000 cars at a Bills game.    I don't think you have much experience attending games or are just really bad at math.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

1 beer is not under influence for most people especially if they ate.  Exaggeration to make a point.

And when you do so the point is at end of your cap.

He was responding to a chap who said "I’ll just share my opinion that driving after having even one adult beverage is astoundingly selfish.", perhaps you should direct your quip there

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Augie said:

“Ignorance” has such a negative connotation that I hate to use the word here. It just means a lack of knowledge or awareness. I’m seeing a lot of that here. 

Of course the victims get the bulk of my sympathy. It’s a HORRIBLE tragedy. I also feel for the Reid family. They have already suffered so much. If you know anything about addiction, it muddies these waters. To call Andy Reid “such a poor father” actually makes me feel sorry for you. How many times have you met Andy Reid? How well do you know him and his family? Who are you to judge? Sometimes things go off the rails no matter how hard you try to fix it. Kids from ALL socio-economic backgrounds run into trouble. That’s a fact. 

Sometimes in life $%#& happens. I won’t judge you, you just don’t know.  I just ask that you judge less yourself. That, of course, is totally up to you in the end. We just don’t know what we don’t know. 

We lost a son to addiction, as others here have. You have NO IDEA what we went thru and how hard we tried.  Don’t be too proud if the dice rolled right for you. Our other son has an outstanding future ahead. Same genes, same values, just a different outcome. Life happens.......

As we heard from a great kid/patient at family weekend in rehab, parents take way too much credit and get way too much blame for how their kids turn out. Parents would come congratulate me after our kids sporting events. I’d say “I did nothing, but he played a great game! Just don’t tell him because he doesn’t need a big head!”   :)

Great post.

Sometimes as parents you try as hard as you can and your kids just turn out the way they do.

It doesn't make you a bad father.

If anything Andy just spent too much time away at work trying to provide for his family. 

Not unlike the working class dad who's working 2 jobs just to make ends meet.

Neither are bad fathers 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I shudder to think about 40,000 cars at a Bills game.    I don't think you have much experience attending games or are just really bad at math.

That stadium holds 71,078 people, if anything my projection is low. Have you seen how much drinking goes on in those lots? 

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

There's bad eggs on a lot of teams. Where do you draw the line?

Are you watching the game? How can you enjoy without a rooting interest?

Not trying to be a smartass.

I will enjoy the game because I will be with a few close family members and we are making some great food. Who wins the game is not very important to me this year. I’ll root for my numbers to come up. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

That stadium holds 71,078 people, if anything my projection is low. Have you seen how much drinking goes on in those lots? 

Our tailgating group has 30+ people and they usually show up in about 8 cars.   6-8 in our vehicle.  Only a couple solo drivers.   That's to say nothing of the buses..........or the RV's that aren't leaving right after the game.   40,000 drivers?  Like I said your math is just really, really bad.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

You're making BADOBILZ point for him/her. There is no way that traffic to the game averages less than two attendees per vehicle. Have you ever attended a game - seen the traffic? Vehicles easily average 2+ per. I will guess (11 year season ticket holder, so observational knowledge) a three per car average with a significant number of buses. So, let's half your estimate and liberally say 20,000 vehicles. My guess is yes, you are really bad at math.

Edited by RochesterLifer
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I want to once again revisit Tyreek Hill.  Hill is not a "good" dude.  I am not here to convince you he is.  I would however implore you, to consider that there is more to his case than the bits the media has hit on.  It's a FACT that he was convicted of hitting/beating his pregnant girlfriend.  It's also a FACT that the state of Kansas awarded him sole custody of his children once all the dust setlled on the case where he was accused of breaking his kids arm.  The state determined that the mom was likely to have been the person to break the kids arm...the state determined that she and her mother were making false statements, lying, tyring to frame Hill etc.....this was the same woman involved in the college pregnant girlfriend incident.  In recorderings....she admits she made that story up back then....and when you look at actual evidence in that case.....you can make a compelling case that he didn't beat her.  He had no money back then for a lawyer and in a "he said/she said" domestic violence case, it was advisable to plead out to avoid jail time.  Again...Hill isn't a good dude....being involved in these kind of issues more than once isn't a good sign...and saying the crap he's said...suggests he's not a good dude....you don't have to like him..you can hate him all you want.......but he's still in the NFL..and never got the hammer brought down on him from Goodell because there was nothing to bring it down for.  That's all....the narrative that he broke his kids arm gets old... 

Is there any proof of this statement?  I looked and did not find anything other than that he applied for custody.  I'm not saying it isn't true, but I would think it would be easier to find if it was true.

A lot of this sounds similar to when we had to listen to the Patriots*** fans explain how the cheating was just a misunderstanding.  One of my favorites was that Brady called the equipment guy "the deflator" because he lost a lot of weight recently.

1 minute ago, RochesterLifer said:

Your making BADOBILZ point for him/her. There is no way that traffic to the game averages less than to attendees per vehicle. Have you ever attended again me - seen the traffic? Vehicles easily average 2+ per. I will guess (11 year season ticket holder, so obsvathona;l knowledge) a three per car average with a significant number of buses. So, let's half your estimate and liberally say 20,000 vehicles. My guess is yes, you are really bad at math.

My feeling are hurt, I’m a extremely sensitive person

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Found this article from 2007 interviewing Reid and his wife about Garrett Reid's struggles with addiction and their struggle to get him help.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2007/12/20/exclusive-a-familys-struggle/

This is a great article that I re-posted for those who skipped past it the first time. It gives you an idea of what it’s like to live thru a child’s addiction.

You do everything in your power, but you realize despite these efforts some things you just cannot control. You just do the best you can. It hangs over you and it’s always there. While everyone else is watching the slides go by in the sales meeting, you’re wondering if they are still alive. It’s hard to adequately describe. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's sad all around, and I agree with those who say you can't say it's Andy Reid's fault. This guy is not a "kid." He's in his mid-30's for crying out loud.

Andy is trying to give him a structured environment and a career option so that he can get himself together.  I can't fault Andy Reid for this. 

That said, Britt has seriously injured a child, likely cost his father a legacy defining win, hurt his father's reputation, cost his players (who look to him as a coach for leadership) a title, and ruined a solid and well-paying career due to his actions. 

I don't agree with or like the rush to judgement on Andy Reid as being a "bad father" or "enabling" his son. Anyone who has dealt with someone who is addicted to drugs or alcohol understands how powerful and destructive both can be. There is no "magic fix" like "if he just was around more" or "if he just disciplined them more."

It doesn't work that way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1