Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agree completely. My hope for her is that the hospital in this situation will just file a bunch of liens for the expenses that will be collected as part of her recovery again Reid. 

I could be wrong, but Reid is probably worried about criminal charges and a huge civil lawsuit— so seems likely he will be laying low. 

Yeah, well, my faith in anyone in hospital billing doing the “right thing” is low.  Then there’s time off work to be with her kid while she’s in the ICU and so forth.

My neighbor through United Way works with people whose lives have literally been ruined by similar occurrences that someone else should be responsible for (and maybe was eventually, but not before they were in a world of hurt)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I believe Britt Reid was diagnosed with ADHD and Adderall is used to treat it. 

I get that - but there are so many other ways to treat ADHD, especially with adults.  

Considering his past I’m not sure why the doctor would prescribe something other than a recreational drug.  It’s definitely kind of sketchy 

2 hours ago, Buffalo ill said:

Because there are a lot of soulless doctors who will do anything for the right price.

This is my thought as well. On the surface it seems like a weightlifter getting prescribed steroids for “low testosterone” or an ex-athlete with a substance abuse problem getting Vicodin to for their back pain.

Not a medical doctor so maybe I’m completely off-base here, but it seems odd to prescribe Aderall to someone who may have had issues with heroine in the past 

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair, but on Thursday at 9 pm prior to the Superbowl, I think the probabilities favor their LB coach was in the facility watching film and knocking back some shots, and that with a history of drunk driving conviction he wouldn't want the possible publicity of being seen drinking in a bar near the stadium.

But I acknowledge that's just my take on the issue and it's possible he finished his tasks then went off to "decompress" at a dive bar.

How are your projections of Reid’s actions prior to the accident any different from the guy’s projections of the lost Super Bowl, who you chastised?

14 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

his "kid", whom he hired, aware of the road rage incident and prior DUI....

Unless Andy poured drinks for his kid and sent him on his way home, Andy still had nothing to do with the accident. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo ill said:

Because there are a lot of soulless doctors who will do anything for the right price.

Many doctors are just clueless about addiction, period. I’m not being sarcastic - it’s just not in their field of practice so they know next to nothing about it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah the way kids are raised has nothing to do with how they turn out or what kind of adults they become. Britt just raised himself from birth. Gimme a break. 

Alcoholism is recognized by the AMA as a disease. There are clear indications it is passed down through generations in families. It’s not simply a matter of behavioral upbringing. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/5/2021 at 8:32 PM, SirAndrew said:

The scrutiny definitely plays a huge role. We don’t hear where the average Joe works when he gets arrested, but that isn’t the point. I consider the NFL a privilege. It’s the highest level of success a football player or coach can reach in his profession. I’d consider that a good job. How many good jobs can someone with DUI’s, drug offenses, and road rage charges get ? I know it’s possible to find work, but many employers aren’t going to hire that guy. I don’t understand why the NFL is different. I know if I had Reid’s record, I wouldn’t have a job right now. 

I am going to politely disagree here, but only in terms of the NFL.

To be as clear as possible, I do NOT in any way endorse nepotism. I also am vehemently opposed to DWI and have witnessed the results many times. Do I think that Reid should be employed by the Chiefs? Absolutely not!!!

That said, I cannot think of any workplace where nepotism and/or cronyism doesn't in some way apply. Are there any? There might be, but I haven't seen one. This includes private industry as well as government employment at all levels. 

Once again, I don't in any way excuse or condone what Reid's kid did. That isn't what this post is about, nor is it to be construed as political. I am ONLY saying that nepotism is as common as breathing, and this is jmo. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I get that - but there are so many other ways to treat ADHD, especially with adults.  

Considering his past I’m not sure why the doctor would prescribe something other than a recreational drug.  It’s definitely kind of sketchy 

IIRC, Britt Reid was diagnosed with a chemical imbalance attributable to ADHD. He relapsed quite a few times so I suspect Andy and his wife were wiling to try anything to keep him from overdosing like their other son. I have no idea about the other ways to treat ADHD so I'll take your word on it. 

6 hours ago, White Linen said:

I don't see anywhere that Britt Reid was arrested.  Anyone know why he wouldn't be?

Just awful what happened to that family. 

As Hapless said above, they are most likely waiting on the BAC from his blood and also he was admitted to the hospital as well. 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am going to politely disagree here, but only in terms of the NFL.

To be as clear as possible, I do NOT in any way endorse nepotism. I also am vehemently opposed to DWI and have witnessed the results many times. Do I think that Reid should be employed by the Chiefs? Absolutely not!!!

That said, I cannot think of any workplace where nepotism and/or cronyism doesn't in some way apply. Are there any? There might be, but I haven't seen one. This includes private industry as well as government employment at all levels. 

Once again, I don't in any way excuse or condone what Reid's kid did. That isn't what this post is about, nor is it to be construed as political. I am ONLY saying that nepotism is as common as breathing, and this is jmo.

I agree that nepotism is common

OTOH, it also sounds like we'd agree that if players are going to be held to a "conduct detrimental to the league" standard (however shifting and nebulous), coaches should be too, thus Britt Reid should face consequences from the league - suspension as a coach, whatever.

3 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

How are your projections of Reid’s actions prior to the accident any different from the guy’s projections of the lost Super Bowl, who you chastised?

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.  Is it something in this thread?  I don't recall "chastizing" anyone, I've disagreed with some takes here, which is what we do - we have opinions, other people have opinions, sometimes we disagree.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree that nepotism is common

OTOH, it also sounds like we'd agree that if players are going to be held to a "conduct detrimental to the league" standard (however shifting and nebulous), coaches should be too, thus Britt Reid should face consequences from the league - suspension as a coach, whatever.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.  Is it something in this thread?  I don't recall "chastizing" anyone, I've disagreed with some takes here, which is what we do - we have opinions, other people have opinions, sometimes we disagree.

“Whoa whoa whoa aren't we getting ahead of ourselves a bit here?”

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Unless Andy poured drinks for his kid and sent him on his way home, Andy still had nothing to do with the accident. 

I dunno.  I'm not a police officer.  We have several police officers here. 

What interests me is the phrase in the warrant for the blood draw "a computer check revealed ... multiple prior DUI contacts"

I think that means Britt Reid has been pulled over in KC multiple times on suspicion of DUI but for some reason, never charged or prosecuted.

Reasons for that could potentially include field sobriety tests that he passed, Chief fan officers who let him go with a warning when he should have had a sobriety test and faced charges, and family influence in hiring the best lawyers to get charges reduced or dismissed.

Maybe Andy had no knowledge that his son was relapsing from sobriety.  Or maybe he did.  As I said elsewhere, when I've worked with or worked for someone who was drinking OTJ, we all knew.  And if Andy knew, and didn't stage an intervention, then as the employer of an employee drinking OTJ and driving home, I would consider him complicit.

10 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

“Whoa whoa whoa aren't we getting ahead of ourselves a bit here?”

1) If I chastize someone, they know it.  That's a question.

2) You think the Chiefs have lost the Superbowl and they might as well call the game and give the Lombardi to the Bucs?

I think that's getting ahead of things and far from a foregone conclusion - "getting ahead of ourselves".  You disagree, your right.

So did the guy I responded to, he said "I honestly don't think so. ..... I think it's going to throw them off their game, while TB is quiet, focused, and ready."

He could be right.  The point is, it hasn't cost them a championship YET and whether the Chiefs lose or win is still TBD.

I'm not exactly sure why this is a problem for you, but if it's personal it belongs in PM...politely

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno.  I'm not a police officer.  We have several police officers here. 

What interests me is the phrase in the warrant for the blood draw "a computer check revealed ... multiple prior DUI contacts"

I think that means Britt Reid has been pulled over in KC multiple times on suspicion of DUI but for some reason, never charged or prosecuted.

Reasons for that could potentially include field sobriety tests that he passed, Chief fan officers who let him go with a warning when he should have had a sobriety test and faced charges, and family influence in hiring the best lawyers to get charges reduced or dismissed.

Maybe Andy had no knowledge that his son was relapsing from sobriety.  Or maybe he did.  As I said elsewhere, when I've worked with or worked for someone who was drinking OTJ, we all knew.  And if Andy knew, and didn't stage an intervention, then as the employer of an employee drinking OTJ and driving home, I would consider him complicit.

1) If I chastize someone, they know it.  That's a question.

2) You think the Chiefs have lost the Superbowl and they might as well call the game and give the Lombardi to the Bucs?

I think that's getting ahead of things and far from a foregone conclusion - "getting ahead of ourselves".  You disagree, your right.

So did the guy I responded to, he said "I honestly don't think so. ..... I think it's going to throw them off their game, while TB is quiet, focused, and ready."

He could be right.  The point is, it hasn't cost them a championship YET and whether the Chiefs lose or win is still TBD.

I'm not exactly sure why this is a problem for you, but if it's personal it belongs in PM...politely

It just seemed weird you called a guy out for projecting the Chiefs will lose the game, then went on projecting all kinds of things about Reid’s behavior before the accident when you don’t know what he did before the accident. So your projecting about events leading up to a terrible accident is ok, but someone projecting about the outcome of a game is not?  Seems odd, that’s all. 

• Eyeroll 1