Mcdermott on Pat Mcafee.

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I learned nothing. Boring interview. Had to shut it off midway through. Very Belichickesque.

Were you expecting him to lay out the teams off season and preseason plans for everyone to know?  Because if you were, there is some confusion with your expectations, and no he doesn’t have an obligation to the fans to do so. 

Go Bills!!!

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Were you expecting him to lay out the teams off season and preseason plans for everyone to know?  Because if you were, there is some confusion with your expectations, and no he doesn’t have an obligation to the fans to do so. 

Go Bills!!!

I did not expect such a thing but it was still a shallow and superficial interview nonetheless. No depth or insight in the slightest. Very good coach, exemplary human being but I learned not a whole lot. Clearly didn’t show his hand in any way.

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I did not expect such a thing but it was still a shallow and superficial interview nonetheless. No depth or insight in the slightest. Very good coach, exemplary human being but I learned not a whole lot. Clearly didn’t show his hand in any way.

And that is a very good thing for the fans and the team.  Any smart coach is going to do as much, with maybe a funny story thrown in on the outside for some minor entertainment.

Go Bills!!!

Just now, Don Otreply said:

And that is a very good thing for the fans and the team.  Any smart coach is going to do as much, with maybe a funny story thrown in on the outside for some minor entertainment.

Go Bills!!!

Sure, never said it was a bad thing but once again I couldn’t help that I was completely bored out of my mind. Excellent coach, but McDermott is the Dick Jauron of interviews. Great coach though. Will skip his interviews here on out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Sure, never said it was a bad thing but once again I couldn’t help that I was completely bored out of my mind. Excellent coach, but McDermott is the Dick Jauron of interviews. Great coach though. Will skip his interviews here on out.

It is mischaracterization and seems deliberate. 

Dick Jauron was stoic in interviews and on field and McD is enthusiastic.  Neither wanted to give our information.  Will skip posts from now on.

One thing I have to say is McD absolutely commands respect, but in a positive way.  Can absolutely see him as the first dude to call anyone out on BS or effort below 100%.  If youre a player giving your all, hes your biggest fan and supporter, and if you arent giving your all hes the type to you leave and talk all sorts of smack about.  Great coach, and at the same time im glad hes not my boss at my 9-5 😆

Thanks for this. That was awesome to watch. I’ve become a daily listener of Pat. Pat brings a lot of great guests in. Aaron Rodgers would come in every Tuesday and both are always quite candid with what’s happening in the league.

I feel like you peel back the skin of Mcd and underneath is something like the T-800 Terminator.  Much better than his weekly PC. 

I don’t always agree with his decisions but I come away thinking he is a very smart man. Its good for being a defensive guy that’s he is willing to adapt to how the Nfl is evolving. I mean nothing earth shattering there but I bet some coaches still out there  will get left behind with old school thinking on both sides of the ball. 

As long as sticks to what he preaches. That he is constantly  learning from his mistakes and how he can be a better coach for us I think we are in good hands.

It will feel very sweet when Beane, Mcd, 17 and 14 come home with our first trophy. 

80C05F16-4780-4965-BD1F-7850F877A2A3.jpeg

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

If you haven’t viewed the interview it’s a good one.  It’s a no kidding 30 min discussion.  The funniest part to me was Sean asking for Josh to bring in the lasers he used to document his throwing motion to help grow some hair.

Can't he afford that hat that supposedly grows back your hair for $1 a day I see advertised?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Thought that was a great interview. Sean definitely slightly more relaxed in an "out of season" setting and Pat does a better job interviewing than some of these professional reporters. He asks really good questions. 

Agreed.

Part of the reason that McDermott is more relaxed is the approach and the questions McAfee asks.  He comments or asks some personal/relatable stuff that helps McD relax and establishes a relationship.  Then he asks some tough questions, but they're phrased in a very neutral, open-ended way.

It's easier to relax around that truly open questions than when you're waiting for Matt Fairburn to ask (paraphrased) "Wasn't it a stupid mistake to keep Trent Murphy on the roster at the beginning of the season for a cost of $7M cap now that you've made him a healthy scratch in Week 6 and weeks 11-16?"  You can watch McDermott put the defensive shutters up for that.

If it was an open ended question like - "Trent Murphy, obviously a FA signing with great hopes based on his 2016 year, but obviously didn't return to that level in 2018 and 2019.  What were your expectations for him coming into this season?  Can you walk us through the decision making process that found him a healthy scratch?" they might get a more interesting answer.

I've had that conversation with some professional media members who were very dismissive of guys like Muki Hawkins and Dante Lasting as "just fans" who "relate to Sean McDermott like they're meeting him at Wegmans".  I raised the point that sometimes they seem to get the most honest and interesting answers out of the Bills coaching staff, and perhaps it's BECAUSE they start out building some kind of connection then ask an open-ended question.

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.

Part of the reason that McDermott is more relaxed is the approach and the questions McAfee asks.  He comments or asks some personal/relatable stuff that helps McD relax and establishes a relationship.  Then he asks some tough questions, but they're phrased in a very neutral, open-ended way.

It's easier to relax around that truly open questions than when you're waiting for Matt Fairburn to ask (paraphrased) "Wasn't it a stupid mistake to keep Trent Murphy on the roster at the beginning of the season for a cost of $7M cap now that you've made him a healthy scratch in Week 6 and weeks 11-16?"  You can watch McDermott put the defensive shutters up for that.

If it was an open ended question like - "Trent Murphy, obviously a FA signing with great hopes based on his 2016 year, but obviously didn't return to that level in 2018 and 2019.  What were your expectations for him coming into this season?  Can you walk us through the decision making process that found him a healthy scratch?" they might get a more interesting answer.

I've had that conversation with some professional media members who were very dismissive of guys like Muki Hawkins and Dante Lasting as "just fans" who "relate to Sean McDermott like they're meeting him at Wegmans".  I raised the point that sometimes they seem to get the most honest and interesting answers out of the Bills coaching staff, and perhaps it's BECAUSE they start out building some kind of connection then ask an open-ended question.

Muki is a mixed bag. Some of his questions are interesting perspectives some are obviously amateurish. But I agree the Bills beat guys ain't great for the most part. Being a beat guy isn't an easy job, but other than Vic I don't think many of them consistently ask good questions.