Derek Carr reportedly in demand, could lead to trade

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Didn't think it would be the very first post of the day that I've read, which may be the very worst post of the day. 

Laugh all you want, Mariota will be somebody’s starter in September.  And I bet Mariota would fetch more in a trade right now than Carr.  I don’t think Mariota is that great.  We just already know what Carr is... extremely mediocre. 

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Imo, he is neither. In the couple of games I saw this year, he seemed to show flashes of the talent he displayed in his first couple of years. But something is off now and I couldnt place my finger on it (and I dont have the inclination to re-watch Raiders games). Not supported by stats, but I feel he could still serve as an adequate starter if the rest of the team is above average. Or as a bridge QB. I for one am not ready to relegate him to the scrap heap yet. But I do think Gruden is very optimistic if he thinks he can get 2 x 1st round picks for him

I have no doubt (and stated so at the time) that Gruden would get rid of Carr as soon as he could.

15 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Interesting idea but who gives up two #1’s to begin with for Carr?

If Houston is trading Watson, they are now a QB needy team. Why not just package Carr in the trade rather than get a haul, just to flip it. Carr and a 2 x 1st rounders and call it a day. 

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t see how any team is going to give away a ton of picks for Carr.  I guess anything can happen.  It’s a big gamble of assuming they have a deal with Houston for them to back out.  It just seems too much like the NBA.

i'm telling y'all, Antiques Roadshow, NFL edition:

How much can I get for this vase I've got lying about, that I think looks pretty similar to this other vase that just sold for top dollar?  LOL.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How much can I get for this vase I've got lying about, that I think looks pretty similar to this other vase that just sold for top dollar?  LOL.

I agree that the Raiders saw that trade, the other teams that were chasing stafford, and thought this could be a way to create a market for their Qb who they want to replace and obtain the assets to go after the one they really want. I don’t think gruden had ever been happy with carr and doubt he’s there next year, and if he is still there, there will be a rookie drafted pretty high to take his place eventually aka asap. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree that the Raiders saw that trade, the other teams that were chasing stafford, and thought this could be a way to create a market for their Qb who they want to replace and obtain the assets to go after the one they really want. I don’t think gruden had ever been happy with carr and doubt he’s there next year, and if he is still there, there will be a rookie drafted pretty high to take his place eventually aka asap. 

Fully agree.   I also think much of the QB movement talk is the result of the NFL Hyperbole Machine running with ideas being thrown about.   When the dust settles in July, I think you'll see a lot less movement than everyone originally expected.

34 minutes ago, Mango said:

If Houston is trading Watson, they are now a QB needy team. Why not just package Carr in the trade rather than get a haul, just to flip it. Carr and a 2 x 1st rounders and call it a day. 

That’s not enough.  Carr + 2 1sts, 2nd and. 3rd might get it done imo

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

That’s not enough.  Carr + 2 1sts, 2nd and. 3rd might get it done imo

That is fair. I am just saying, why make it more complicated than it needs to be. Houston will need a replacement. Unless the Raiders are trying to do right by Carr and not send him into that shirt hole. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Imo, he is neither. In the couple of games I saw this year, he seemed to show flashes of the talent he displayed in his first couple of years. But something is off now and I couldnt place my finger on it (and I dont have the inclination to re-watch Raiders games). Not supported by stats, but I feel he could still serve as an adequate starter if the rest of the team is above average. Or as a bridge QB. I for one am not ready to relegate him to the scrap heap yet. But I do think Gruden is very optimistic if he thinks he can get 2 x 1st round picks for him

This could just be me, but I feel as though Gruden is starting to feel a little tingle of warmth in his seat. 

He was brought in to lift the Raiders from "Good to Great", or maybe from "mediocre to great".  They had that 12-4, WC year in 2016 then a fall-off in 2017 under Del Rio.  Gruden was gonna reverse course and lift them back to 12-4 and beyond...except it hasn't gone down that way.

What's easier for a star-of-star HC: scrutinize his own actions and scheme for failing to get the most out of his players, or point the finger at his good-but-not-great QB?  Carr was good enough to help the Raiders score 40 freakin' points and defeat the Chiefs, their only "starters" loss of the season.

This is not a "bum" passing chart, btw.  This is the passing chart of a guy you ought to be able to win with, if other pieces are in place around him. 

image.thumb.png.ac5d879c38e037a4e0b8cec6e0be2a4e.png

35 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You would be sweating, too, if NPeterman was only a position or three behind you on the roster...😳

I swear, whatever that guy's got in the QB room it's like Catnip for Coaches.

Either that, or compromising polaroids.  Maybe both?

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Chuckie likes him since he can unleash a profanity laden rant on Peterman without as much as a peep out of Nate or his agent.  I recall a while back seeing Gruden haranguing on NP over the time he held onto the ball; I think someone had linked to it on a TSW thread.

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This could just be me, but I feel as though Gruden is starting to feel a little tingle of warmth in his seat. 

He was brought in to lift the Raiders from "Good to Great", or maybe from "mediocre to great".  They had that 12-4, WC year in 2016 then a fall-off in 2017 under Del Rio.  Gruden was gonna reverse course and lift them back to 12-4 and beyond...except it hasn't gone down that way.

What's easier for a star-of-star HC: scrutinize his own actions and scheme for failing to get the most out of his players, or point the finger at his good-but-not-great QB?  Carr was good enough to help the Raiders score 40 freakin' points and defeat the Chiefs, their only "starters" loss of the season.

This is not a "bum" passing chart, btw.  This is the passing chart of a guy you ought to be able to win with, if other pieces are in place around him. 

image.thumb.png.ac5d879c38e037a4e0b8cec6e0be2a4e.png

That upper left quadrant says "thank you, Gregg Williams!"

More seriously, the Raiders offense was well above average in every category except turnovers (Carr himself had 11 fumbles, which is too many for a guy who only got sacked 4.8 percent of the time and doesn't run much), but their defense was AWFUL. Not only were they terrible in yards and points surrendered, they were 30th in forcing turnovers. They lost a lot of high-scoring games. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rai/2020.htm

People complain about Ed Oliver, but Clelin Ferrell was drafted 4th overall in that same draft as an edge player and his production is minimal. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You got to actually give credit to the Lions... they put that old vase out there, got another vase back that's about the same, 2 first rounders and a third AND their new vase is much younger... 😆

2 hours ago, Mango said:

If I'm Houston, take the 6 first rounds, laugh all the way to the bank.... tank next year, get the first pick in the draft and get your QB of the future...

• Like (+1) 1

I thought last years QB carousel was unusual.

This years looks to be even bigger.

Where was all this QB movement during the last 20 years when the Bills needed one? ;)

Now that we have a Franchise guy they seem to be falling out of trees ;)  

13 hours ago, dma0034 said:

I don't think it's a huge move but Carr would play perfect in the Patriots system imo.

I don't think it's a huge move but Carr would play perfect in the Patriots system imo.

BB won't part with that much draft capitol.....not gonna happen.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

just to be clear, is Gruden ever happy with any QB?  

• Agree 1