Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Because they're not going to let him dictate where he goes.  That is, if they do trade him.  

How do you square that with the fact that Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract?  They can’t just ship him to Detroit or wherever.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

This is true. Unless Caserio is not smart.

I doubt that's the case.

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Sure about that?

The no-trade clause means Watson can veto ANY trade if he so chooses...so in other words, yes he can pick where he wants to go OR he cans sit out.

So then...he sits out and loses a ton of money and support.

Just now, NewEra said:

I’m really confused as to why everyone says Watson has all the leverage.  

He’s under contract.  If he doesn’t play, he doesn’t get paid.  

His signing bonus would be in jeopardy I assume?  What does it mean when his contract states “73 million guaranteed at signing”.  Did he get paid 73 mill already and maybe have to pay it back?  

Yeah his contract likely has language that forces him to forfeit part of all of his signing bonus if he holds out.  As a counter-balance to the no-trade clause.

Just now, mannc said:

How do you square that with the fact that Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract?  They can’t just ship him to Detroit or wherever.  

Doesn't necessarily have to be Detroit.  It could be the 49'ers.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m really confused as to why everyone says Watson has all the leverage.  

He’s under contract.  If he doesn’t play, he doesn’t get paid.  

His signing bonus would be in jeopardy I assume?  What does it mean when his contract states “73 million guaranteed at signing”.  Did he get paid 73 mill already and maybe have to pay it back?  

I get your point and you’re generally right. But the Texans are a dog 💩 organization and destroyed themselves.  Watson is a top 5 and has the best season of his career after they traded at the time the best receiver in the nfl for a broken rb. Texans fans think he should get traded. It would be awful PR to force him to hold for a team that a lot of players think is a joke anyways. Plus Watson has been a great guy off the field.  So while they technically have leverage, it will be an awful look for a horrible franchise. 

as Bills fans, this couldn’t work out any better. A team with a top 5 qb and a great roster let Bill O’Brien destroy it. Good work. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I get your point and you’re generally right. But the Texans are a dog 💩 organization and destroyed themselves.  Watson is a top 5 and has the best season of his career after they traded at the time the best receiver in the nfl for a broken rb. Texans fans think he should get traded. It would be awful PR to force him to hold for a team that a lot of players think is a joke anyways. Plus Watson has been a great guy off the field.  So while they technically have leverage, it will be an awful look for a horrible franchise. 

as Bills fans, this couldn’t work out any better. A team with a top 5 qb and a great roster let Bill O’Brien destroy it. Good work. 

Idk...if I had Deshaun Watson, I wouldn’t trade him unless the offer was overwhelming.  I don’t think they would look worse than they already do.  I personally think they look worse if they trade him. Jmo

As bills fans, this is set up to be the worst thing that could possibly happen to us.  If the fins or Jets get him......lol.  That’s a nightmare watson twice a year and Mahomes in the AFCCG.  That would be a terrible chain of events

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That is hardly a universal thought down here amongst Texans fans.   Most Texans fans might UNDERSTAND why he would want to get traded but very few want him to leave.  There is a much greater percentage of Texans fans that want JJ Watt traded so he has a shot at a ring.

1 hour ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

If I'm Houston I absolutely refuse to trade him and if he sits I'd blackball him.

The good thing is fines cannot be waved now.  If a player has issue bring it up with NFLPA and they can go to court to get out of what they agreed in contract as usual.

Contract or not, the player always wins. Go ahead and try to dig in. Do you really want to go to war with your star QB? 

Egos are bad for business, and it sounds like the Texans are a disaster. I could see the Texans digging in, thing getting worse, and then trading him for less than they could get today.

Carson Palmer went through this with the Bengals. The owner swore he would never trade Carson. Later, they did trade him, for less than they would have received earlier on when more teams could be in on the bidding. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yea and then so same fans who "think" that (not all Texans fans do) will not buy season tickets.

If Watson REALLY wants out offer to pay back portion of signing bonus for contract and Texans can sign a new WR in reduced cap year.

You hear lots of talk about wanting to be released or being traded to team he has to approve but nothing about paying back bonus.

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Contract or not, the player always wins. Go ahead and try to dig in. Do you really want to go to war with your star QB? 

Egos are bad for business, and it sounds like the Texans are a disaster. I could see the Texans digging in, thing getting worse, and then trading him for less than they could get today.

Carson Palmer went through this with the Bengals. The owner swore he would never trade Carson. Later, they did trade him, for less than they would have received earlier on when more teams could be in on the bidding. 

The Texans have been bad decision makers lately but there's a new sheriff in town.

Nick Caserio deserves a shot to change that narrative.

The Deshaun decision will likely make or break his career unfortunately.  

49 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

The Texans have been bad decision makers lately but there's a new sheriff in town.

Nick Caserio deserves a shot to change that narrative.

The Deshaun decision will likely make or break his career unfortunately.  

I think it's an incredible chance to hit a home run.

I think Watson is very good, but he's not Mahomes. He's a very good QB, but I'm not getting too carried away.

If Watson really wants to be traded, here's a chance to cash in on a team that is desperate for a  QB, get a ton of assets in return, and give yourself a shot to build the roster the way you want.

I still love the idea of a Falcons/49ers/Texans trade:

Texans get: Jimmy G, 4th overall pick (Atlanta), 12th overall pick (49ers) and Atlanta's 1st in 2022

Atlanta gets: Watson 

49ers get: Matt Ryan 

Everyone comes out pretty good there. Texans get 2 picks in the top 12 this year, plus another 1st next year and a decent to good starting QB who they all know from their time in NE. Atlanta gets Watson by only giving up 2 1sts (Ryan would be gone anyway) and Shanahan reunites with Matt Ryan for a run in SF and only has to give up a 1st. 

If you're the Texans you just hit the jackpot and got rid of a headache/ PR mess. You've got your 65 year old first time HC and a TV preacher for a VP, but you might just luck into something good if you can hit on those 2 1sts this year with Jimmy G in the fold as well. Maybe you even get a 3rd or 4th for Watt while you're at it. 

The Texans, if they are smart and don't allow egos to cloud their judgement, don't lose a thing, and in fact, could make quite the profit from moving Watson. 

8 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think Watson is very good, but he's not Mahomes. He's a very good QB, but I'm not getting too carried away.

If Watson really wants to be traded, here's a chance to cash in on a team that is desperate for a  QB, get a ton of assets in return, and give yourself a shot to build the roster the way you want.

Texans get: Jimmy G, 4th overall pick (Atlanta), 12th overall pick (49ers) and Atlanta's 1st in 2022

Everyone comes out pretty good there. Texans get 2 picks in the top 12 this year, plus another 1st next year and a decent to good starting QB who they all know from their time in NE. Atlanta gets Watson by only giving up 2 1sts (Ryan would be gone anyway) and Shanahan reunites with Matt Ryan for a run in SF and only has to give up a 1st. 

If you're the Texans you just hit the jackpot and got rid of a headache/ PR mess. You've got your 65 year old first time HC and a TV preacher for a VP, but you might just luck into something good if you can hit on those 2 1sts this year with Jimmy G in the fold as well. Maybe you even get a 3rd or 4th for Watt while you're at it. 

The Texans, if they are smart and don't allow egos to cloud their judgement, don't lose a thing, and in fact, could make quite the profit from moving Watson. 

Not crazy, but I would not trade 12 overall plus Jimmy G for Matt Ryan, and I doubt SF would either.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

You didn’t answer the question

The no trade clause only comes into play if they trade him.  And even then, they could say "we're trading you to X team because they're in the NFC and giving us the best deal.  You either accept it or play for us."  Then the ball is back in his court.

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Not crazy, but I would not trade 12 overall plus Jimmy G for Matt Ryan, and I doubt SF would either.

I agree.  It makes no sense from the Niners perspective.  Maybe if they threw in Watt or a young asset, but no way they send the 12th and Jimmy G for Ryan. 

13 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If I’m the Texans, I have no use for Jimmy G. I would need another high-to-mid #1 instead.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Rico said:

If I’m the Texans, I have no use for Jimmy G. I would need another high-to-mid #1 instead.

The link is the Patriots tie in at Houston now; they may feel they'll be able to get something out of Jimmy G, though fitness has to be a question mark at the moment. But it sounds like Caserio is going to try and fight to keep Watson there - no idea how.

Edit: 'like' not 'liek'

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1