Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs

JohnNord

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Whaley is still salty that McD canned his ass

go look back at right when Sean came aboard... Doug was like a wanna be smooth .... hey buddy how ya doing guy... Sean eats those guys for breakfast 

Doug seems intent to Brand Sean as playoff coward for life. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McD’s decision to kick in the first half based on “morale” was absolutely the right one. You could tell the team was shell shocked. They had to get points. I thought it was very astute coaching.

The national pundits didn’t see how aggressive he was all year, and how this was a total change from what he normally does— based on his very good instincts of looking at his team at that moment. 

The second half decision was too risk averse, as I think McD will now concede. But hindsight is 20/20. If the D had gotten a stop or turnover, it would have probably worked out pretty well. But they didn’t, and we spiraled down.

What's crazy is that everybody ripped Frank Reich going for it and not getting it in the Bills game for exactly the same reason that McDermott decided to take the three. 

if we're taking the hindsight call that game is over at 21 to 9 anyway because Buffalo didn't get another stop and they were overmatched so in the end we are analyzing decisions that probably don't matter.

In the context of the actual game at the end of the first half, you do have to make that morale call because it's irresponsible to try and put the game on the line there at the end of the first half.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McD’s decision to kick in the first half based on “morale” was absolutely the right one. You could tell the team was shell shocked. They had to get points. I thought it was very astute coaching.

The national pundits didn’t see how aggressive he was all year, and how this was a total change from what he normally does— based on his very good instincts of looking at his team at that moment. 

The second half decision was too risk averse, as I think McD will now concede. But hindsight is 20/20. If the D had gotten a stop or turnover, it would have probably worked out pretty well. But they didn’t, and we spiraled down. 

Disagree, very strongly. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Whaley and Monos hired McDermott.

4 months later McDermott fired them 🤣

That second paragraph is a perfect example of why Tyler Dunne is a complete buffoon and maroon. He will always be remembered for his Buffalo Evening News articles defending the indefensible.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Totally agree.  And McD admitted today the decision to kick the second FG was a mistake.  He doesn't need any armchair front office wannabes to tell him that.  McD knows he has a lot to learn as a HC.  I'm glad we have a HC who is not thinking that he's "arrived" just because he has a title.

But what gets tweeted is his “morale” quote. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

That second paragraph is a perfect example of why Tyler Dunne is a complete buffoon and maroon. He will always be remembered for his Buffalo Evening News articles defending the indefensible.

Missed this one - what did he defend when he was there?

29 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This clip has generated a lot of interesting discussion.  Whaley echoes what a lot of fans have said about McDermott.  But because of past stint as GM, it’s pissed off a lot of fans.  

I’ll say this... I’ve listed to some of these podcasts and Doug isn’t really bitter.  If anything he takes the high road and goes out of his way not to say anything critical.  I feel that he doesn’t want to burn any bridges to get back to the NFL.  

I get why Bills fans are pissed though 

He is right,  even after we took 9 point lead,  rather then blitz CB'S on first play when KC got the ball we play soft zone and let KC just go down the field with little resistance.  We had them on the ropes and you need to go after their QB and even try to get him out of game.  Not even one hit on Mahomes who was coming off a concussion.  I just hope Frazier leaves which we need someone who attacks on defence

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Like it or not The game plan was not particularly good as we all saw, and there where not what one would call appropriate adjustments made at crucial points during the game.

It is in all our hopes that this was the last time that the coaches coach in this fashion ever again, there are multiple reasons we lost, coaching decisions are at the top of the list. 
live and learn as the saying goes...  We shall return with a vengeance!

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Doug Whaley has no room to talk. He was a horrible GM who hurt us cap wise while he was here and stuck us with Tyrod *****in Taylor for 3 years. I don’t give a ***** about his opinion. Sounds like he is still sour on being fired from Buffalo. Thank god for Beane

Whaley and Beane both hurt us cap wise. Beane accelerated the process so he could get the roster he wanted.  We have cap issues again before paying Allen. Beane spends a lot of money on marginal free agents. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

He isnt wrong.  But he went a little far in saying "well he always says Iron Sharpens Iron"  he got personal there.  

However, one guy is leading an NFL franchise and the other guy is on a podcast.  Thats all you need to know.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Whaley and Beane both hurt us cap wise. Beane accelerated the process so he could get the roster he wanted.  We have cap issues again before paying Allen. Beane spends a lot of money on marginal free agents. 

Except Beane knows how to manage the cap by restructuring contracts instead on taking massive cap hits.  The Bills appear to be in cap trouble right now, but they release a few guys with low cap hits, and then restructure other players and they'll have 25-30 million in no time.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

He is right,  even after we took 9 point lead,  rather then blitz CB'S on first play when KC got the ball we play soft zone and let KC just go down the field with little resistance.  We had them on the ropes and you need to go after their QB and even try to get him out of game.  Not even one hit on Mahomes who was coming off a concussion.  I just hope Frazier leaves which we need someone who attacks on defence

The problem isn’t Frazier as much as it is a front 4 that doesn’t generate pressure and a MLB in Edmunds that isn’t physical and is easily fooled by fakes.  

If anytime the only pressure the Bills have gotten this year has been manufactured by blitzes or stunts / that’s all Frazier

Besides if the issue is scheme, nothing will change - its McDermott’s defense.

The problem is the Bills DL and LB’s....not Frazier

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1