Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs

JohnNord

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Well he’s not wrong.... game was over when McD opted for the FG before half time to make it 21-12 when his defense couldn’t stop anything. You go for the TD there. He stands by the FG there even now. Slightly disappointing. 

I don’t mind that fg after hearing his reasoning...but the 2nd fg to give them 15 was definitely a mistake...that, to me, was when the game was over...

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Disagree.... he obviously didn’t have a good feel for the game or was coaching scared. The Bills defense could not stop the Chiefs. They needed TDS to keep pace. A FG wasn’t going to do much there. 

10 minutes ago, Process said:

Disagree, very strongly. 

you can disagree now with the confidence of hindsight. But we could all see at the time that the offense was out of sync and we were struggling to get a yard at a time, especially in the red zone.  I can tell you now that there was like zero percent chance we were scoring a TD there. The playcalling and execution were totally unhinged. 

hindsight is 20/20, but I figured the thinking there was get the points, get something to build on, and make adjustments to Come out with more

confidence in the second half. 

it didn’t work. But the media painting McD as being overly conservative or out of touch isn’t quite right. If we were playing like our usual

selves, he would have gone for it. He has done so all year long. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JohnNord said:

The problem isn’t Frazier as much as it is a front 4 that doesn’t generate pressure and a MLB in Edmunds that isn’t physical and is easily fooled by fakes.  

Besides if the issue is scheme, nothing will change - its McDermott’s defense.

The problem is the Bills DL and LB’s....not Frazier

You still have to take chances,  rush one of DB'S even if Mahomes gets pass off you get hits on him.  We got no shots playing the way we did, it was not the right choice

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

You still have to take chances,  rush one of DB'S even if Mahomes gets pass off you get hits on him.  We got no shots playing the way we did, it was not the right choice

Agree 100%, he needed to be hit. Well worth the 15 yards.

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Well he’s not wrong.... game was over when McD opted for the FG before half time to make it 21-12 when his defense couldn’t stop anything. You go for the TD there. He stands by the FG there even now. Slightly disappointing. 

I hate the FGs and am pissed about both of them, the more I reflect, he had zero confidence in our ability to get the ball in the end zone. I also had zero confidence that we would score. We would have turned the ball over both times on downs and he wanted to "save" the team from that....

28 minutes ago, Process said:

He coached scared. We were completely outmatched, so it probably didn't cost us the game. But he 100% should be called out for it. 

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with that. 

There were warning signs last year in that Texans game. Covering up in a conservative shell with that 16-0 lead. Then settling for multiple fgs when maybe Sean should have realized who he was playing. I think we fans reflect on these frustrations. Sometimes he surprises us and goes for it.  Mostly he doesn't.  I'm sure he'll learn from this and realize KC will be the hurdle over the next several years. Why he didn't jam Kelce will puzzle me for some time?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

He did try though.  Look what happened on the goal when Kelcie was wide open and every time they blitzed Mahomes.  It’s getting to the point where if you want get pressure with your front 4, Mahomes is going to destroy the defense 

I think McDermott should have gone for it. I don't think it was a great coached game job by the Bills but it was an even worse played one. 

The Ty Dunne hype machine for Whaley and Monos is definitely a bit weird though. Ty has made some odd career decisions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with Whaley. McD got out coached. The aggression he showed all year during the season on offense just disappeared, and the aggression the defense was generating later into the season disappeared with the cover 2. 

i still don’t know how or what McD was game planning for. It was very strange, and his development is more important than anything this offseason. If he doesn’t get to the super bowl by 2023, then he needs to go. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

There were warning signs last year in that Texans game. Covering up in a conservative shell with that 16-0 lead. Then settling for multiple fgs when maybe Sean should have realized who he was playing. I think we fans reflect on these frustrations. Sometimes he surprises us and goes for it.  Mostly he doesn't.  I'm sure he'll learn from this and realize KC will be the hurdle over the next several years. Why he didn't jam Kelce will puzzle me for some time?

Sal explained this.  If you miss on jam which often happens it’s impossible to recover given the speed of their receivers.  That’s why they tried to keep everything in front of them

41 minutes ago, Process said:

He coached scared. We were completely outmatched, so it probably didn't cost us the game. But he 100% should be called out for it. 

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with that. 

The source. 

We don’t need to hear it from a guy who was part of the circus at OBD.

5 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I disagree. We had no shot blitzing him. We gave up a touchdown on that. We had no shot trying to cover them in man - witness the long Hill catch and run. I think rush 4 and play zone behind was the right plan with the players we have and with the defense we run. We did not execute it very well at all and I think our coverages were a bit predictable but we did try and mix other things in second half and Mahomes still killed us. 

It was talent not scheme that killed us on defense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wanted to add... how can you not blitz an injured mahomes in the first half? But then get destroyed by kelce and hill? I really just don’t understand the defensive game plan going into the game. The whole thing is just a sad head scratcher for me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Wanted to add... how can you not blitz an injured mahomes in the first half? But then get destroyed by kelce and hill? I really just don’t understand the defensive game plan going into the game. The whole thing is just a sad head scratcher for me. 

If we had blitzed Mahomes we'd have given up 50. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. We had no shot blitzing him. We gave up a touchdown on that. We had no shot trying to cover them in man - witness the long Hill catch and run. I think rush 4 and play zone behind was the right plan with the players we have and with the defense we run. We did not execute it very well at all and I think our coverages were a bit predictable but we did try and mix other things in second half and Mahomes still killed us. 

It was talent not scheme that killed us on defense. 

The thing is, they did try to blitz and they switched to man as well.  The results were actually worse than when they played zone.  

They basically tried everything but nothing worked.  IMO the problems start with the defensive line and Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

The thing is, they did try to blitz and they switched to man as well.  The results were actually worse than when they played zone.  

They basically tried everything but nothing worked.  IMO the problems start with the defensive line and Edmunds.

Exactly. The worst two defensive calls of the game were blitzes. When fans see you get methodically picked apart in zone they always revert to "blitz more". It is very rarely the right answer.

41 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McD’s decision to kick in the first half based on “morale” was absolutely the right one. You could tell the team was shell shocked. They had to get points. I thought it was very astute coaching.

The national pundits didn’t see how aggressive he was all year, and how this was a total change from what he normally does— based on his very good instincts of looking at his team at that moment. 

The second half decision was too risk averse, as I think McD will now concede. But hindsight is 20/20. If the D had gotten a stop or turnover, it would have probably worked out pretty well. But they didn’t, and we spiraled down. 

I get your point, but I disagree.  Kicking did nothing to help the "shell shocked" state of the team prior to the half.  If anything, it was waiving a mini white flag.  And we can out and ran the same soft "zone" defense and gave up a TD.   

Just now, GETTOTHE50 said:

So you’re ok with the dismissive defensive game plan then. Great 👍 

You realise that Mahomes has a better passer rating when blitzed than when facing a 4 man rush, right? That he hasn't thrown a single pick this year vs the blitz? That he has the best numbers in the league against the blitz? 

Blitzing Patrick Mahomes is suicide.