Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs

JohnNord

9 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Whaley isn't wrong, but his knockout punch was EJ Manuel. For clarification McD definitely coached scared.

Manuel was just as much a “project” as Allen was. Both were big and mobile with accuracy issues. Problem was Allen had a coaching staff that knew how to “coach up” the player while Manuel had a coaching staff that ruined him.

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Manuel was just as much a “project” as Allen was. Both were big and mobile with accuracy issues. Problem was Allen had a coaching staff that knew how to “coach up” the player while Manuel had a coaching staff that ruined him.

EJ could have been coached by Lombardi and Walsh. He still wasn't turning into Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just don’t become the Steelers who always played zone against the Pats and lost big game after big game as Brady dissected their soft zone.

I have the fear with the Bills and Chiefs. If you’re going to play zone please find some guys that will punish opposing playmakers when they touch the ball.

Tampa had their struggles covering people for most the year, watch them next week. They have 4 or 5 guys that destroy anyone they can when given the chance. 

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Manuel was just as much as a “project” as Allen was. Both were big and mobile with accuracy issues. Problem was Allen had a coaching staff that knew how to “coach up” the player while Manuel had a coaching staff that ruined him.

While I agree our coaching staff was not good when EJ came in, I still can't see him ever being successful. He was not that mobile, his athleticism never jumped off the screen at you.

We can agree to disagree but the easy stuff for EJ was hard, all around bad pick. 

Though EJ was a good guy, just not a good QB.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You realise that Mahomes has a better passer rating when blitzed than when facing a 4 man rush, right? That he hasn't thrown a single pick this year vs the blitz? That he has the best numbers in the league against the blitz? 

Blitzing Patrick Mahomes is suicide. 

sure, but he was still injured with turf toe and a possible head injury.

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

sure, but he was still injured with turf toe and a possible head injury.

He looked pretty darn healthy to me. I get it is frustrating to see the team sit back in zone and still get picked apart, but I promise you with the way our personnel match up to their personnel our options are really limited. To beat Mahomes you have to get edge pressure with your front 4. That is the biggest thing and anyone who has beaten him or got close to beating him the last two seasons that has been the model. 

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Gunner, Manuel was no scrub. He played at a high level in the ACC and won championship. He showed promise in the beginning but got BAD coaching. 

I agree he got worse the longer he was with the Bills and was badly coached and developed. But he just wasn't in the same stratosphere of natural talent as Josh Allen. Even if he had been developed perfectly his ceiling was significantly lower. 

7 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Just don’t become the Steelers who always played zone against the Pats and lost big game after big game as Brady dissected their soft zone.

I have the fear with the Bills and Chiefs. If you’re going to play zone please find some guys that will punish opposing playmakers when they touch the ball.

Tampa had their struggles covering people for most the year, watch them next week. They have 4 or 5 guys that destroy anyone they can when given the chance. 

I know Tampa is gonna play a 3-4 rather than a 4-3 but the big thing Tampa can do that we can't is get edge pressue with Barrett and JPP. 

The Bills have to look at what they need to do different the next time they defend the Chiefs and there are some things they could try. The Pats when they played them earlier in the year did a lot of 3 man rush and 8 in coverage on 3rd down and got Mahomes off the field a lot. They also played some combination coverages on the back end where they played man on the outside with deep safety zones behind. That might be an option but they will need to upgrade the #2 corner spot to make that worth a go. 

But the thing that would make the biggest difference? Edge rush. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Doug Whaley has no room to talk. He was a horrible GM who hurt us cap wise while he was here and stuck us with Tyrod *****in Taylor for 3 years. I don’t give a ***** about his opinion. Sounds like he is still sour on being fired from Buffalo. Thank god for Beane

I agree 100%.  The gall of this clown.  He could have been GM for 25 years and would not have sniffed an AFC championship game.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He looked pretty darn healthy to me. I get it is frustrating to see the team sit back in zone and still get picked apart, but I promise you with the way our personnel match up to their personnel our options are really limited. To beat Mahomes you have to get edge pressure with your front 4. That is the biggest thing and anyone who has beaten him or got close to beating him the last two seasons that has been the model. 

I agree he got worse the longer he was with the Bills and was badly coached and developed. But he just wasn't in the same stratosphere of natural talent as Josh Allen. Even if he had been developed perfectly his ceiling was significantly lower. 

He didn’t have Allen arm strength, but just as athletic. 

I see what Whaley/Nix thought could’ve been 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Whaley and Monos hired McDermott.

4 months later McDermott fired them 🤣

MeThinks the Laddie doth protest too much

I don't think Whaley and Monos "hired" Sean McDermott.  I think the Pegulas hired Sean McDermott.  I don't think he was even their choice.

I mean, yeah, Whaley was a scout and eventually pro personnel coordinator during a time period when the Steelers won two superbowls, but saying he "won" a Superbowl with Pittsburgh is sort of like saying Jimmy Garappolo won a Superbowl with the NE Patriots - he was part of the team and in the building and I'm sure he contributed his bit, but he sure wasn't a main driver.

I "get it" that Ty Dunne (who I respected with the Buffalo News) is trying to make a living, but telling us about how great these out-of-the-NFL guys he brings in to trash the coach that went 15-4 and took the Bills to the first AFC championship in >25 years is "weak sauce" IMO.  It doesn't entice me to give him a listen.

I'll be watching Cover1 who have not, to my knowledge, "won" any Superbowls but who deliver something more than cliches

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. We had no shot blitzing him. We gave up a touchdown on that. We had no shot trying to cover them in man - witness the long Hill catch and run. I think rush 4 and play zone behind was the right plan with the players we have and with the defense we run. We did not execute it very well at all and I think our coverages were a bit predictable but we did try and mix other things in second half and Mahomes still killed us. 

It was talent not scheme that killed us on defense. 

If you sit back and play that prevent defense you are neutralizing our own offense because we don’t get the ball back

19 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Gunner, Manuel was no scrub. He played at a high level in the ACC and won championship. He showed promise in the beginning but got BAD coaching. 

This is completely untrue.  Manuel has nowhere near the athleticism, smarts, leadership or attributes that Allen did.  Not comparable  

Just now, popcornpam said:

If you sit back and play that prevent defense you are neutralizing our own offense because we don’t get the ball back

Or you could play man-to-man and get burned for a 71 yard completion

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

This is completely untrue.  Manuel has nowhere near the athleticism, smarts, leadership or attributes that Allen did.  Not comparable  

Or you could play man-to-man and get burned for a 71 yard completion

Well then why were even there if we give up play prevent and wave the white flag until they score. That’s why Mickey D never beat Brady. (Oh we can’t blitz him he might burn us)  Mix up the defenses.