Jump to content

Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs


Recommended Posts

This clip has generated a lot of interesting discussion.  Whaley echoes what a lot of fans have said about McDermott.  But because of past stint as GM, it’s pissed off a lot of fans.  
 

I’ll say this... I’ve listed to some of these podcasts and Doug isn’t really bitter.  If anything he takes the high road and goes out of his way not to say anything critical.  I feel that he doesn’t want to burn any bridges to get back to the NFL.  

 

I get why Bills fans are pissed though 
 

 

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JohnNord changed the title to Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He coached scared. We were completely outmatched, so it probably didn't cost us the game. But he 100% should be called out for it.    Don't know why anyone would have a problem with that. 

Bitter??   What would this clown be bitter about?--being promoted to a job he was ill-prepared to perform?  Being horrible at running an NFL franchise?  Being forever out the NFL on merit?

Doug Whaley has no room to talk. He was a horrible GM who hurt us cap wise while he was here and stuck us with Tyrod *****in Taylor for 3 years. I don’t give a ***** about his opinion. Sounds like he

He coached scared. We were completely outmatched, so it probably didn't cost us the game. But he 100% should be called out for it. 

 

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with that. 

  • Like (+1) 17
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This clip has generated a lot of interesting discussion.  Whaley echoes what a lot of fans have said about McDermott.  But because of past stint as GM, it’s pissed off a lot of fans.  
 

I’ll say this... I’ve listed to some of these podcasts and Doug isn’t really bitter.  If anything he takes the high road and goes out of his way not to say anything critical.  I feel that he doesn’t want to burn any bridges to get back to the NFL.  

 

I get why Bills fans are pissed though 
 

 

 

Bitter??
 

What would this clown be bitter about?--being promoted to a job he was ill-prepared to perform?  Being horrible at running an NFL franchise?  Being forever out the NFL on merit?

 

 

The BALLS on this bum.....

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Process said:

He coached scared. We were completely outmatched, so it probably didn't cost us the game. But he 100% should be called out for it. 

 

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with that. 

 

Been supporting McDermott since day 1. Agree should be called out for it.

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Doug Whaley has no room to talk. He was a horrible GM who hurt us cap wise while he was here and stuck us with Tyrod *****in Taylor for 3 years. I don’t give a ***** about his opinion. Sounds like he is still sour on being fired from Buffalo. Thank god for Beane

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a big fan of cliches like "you have to knock out the champ."  They completely oversimplify something as complex as situational football.

 

We were up against a superior opponent. I understand reverting to more conservative calls in some areas - I had no issue at all w/ the FG right before the half, and with playing more of a prevent D.  There were other calls I had some issues with, but McD knows a lot more than me, and he has earned my trust as a fan.

 

It's always fun for pundits to play HC in hindsight.

 

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he’s not wrong.... game was over when McD opted for the FG before half time to make it 21-12 when his defense couldn’t stop anything. You go for the TD there. He stands by the FG there even now. Slightly disappointing. 

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

 

Bitter??
 

What would this clown be bitter about?--being promoted to a job he was ill-prepared to perform?  Being horrible at running an NFL franchise?  Being forever out the NFL on merit?

 

 

The BALLS on this bum.....

With the hack of all hacks Tyler Dunne trying to keep him relevant. :lol:

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Doug Whaley has no room to talk. He was a horrible GM who hurt us cap wise while he was here and stuck us with Tyrod *****in Taylor for 3 years. I don’t give a ***** about his opinion. Sounds like he is still sour on being fired from Buffalo. Thank god for Beane


yep this is true and that’s why people are annoyed.  Kind of like the guy who gets fired trying to tell you how to do your job 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScottLaw said:

Well he’s not wrong.... game was over when McD opted for the FG before half time to make it 21-12 when his defense couldn’t stop anything. You go for the TD there. He stands by the FG there even now. Slightly disappointing. 


Like I said, he didn’t say anything that most fans haven’t.  I think the resentment is there from fans because he was a pretty bad GM

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

McD’s decision to kick in the first half based on “morale” was absolutely the right one. You could tell the team was shell shocked. They had to get points. I thought it was very astute coaching.
 

The national pundits didn’t see how aggressive he was all year, and how this was a total change from what he normally does— based on his very good instincts of looking at his team at that moment. 
 

The second half decision was too risk averse, as I think McD will now concede. But hindsight is 20/20. If the D had gotten a stop or turnover, it would have probably worked out pretty well. But they didn’t, and we spiraled down. 

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rico said:

With the hack of all hacks Tyler Dunne trying to keep him relevant. :lol:

 

 

these 3 guys look like they are hunkered down, waiting for their next block of government cheese to wash down with their cases of Natty Light.

  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McD’s decision to kick in the first half based on “morale” was absolutely the right one. You could tell the team was shell shocked. They had to get points. I thought it was very astute coaching.
 

The national pundits didn’t see how aggressive he was all year, and how this was a total change from what he normally does— based on his very good instincts of looking at his team at that moment. 
 

The second half decision was too risk averse, as I think McD will now concede. But hindsight is 20/20. If the D had gotten a stop or turnover, it would have probably worked out pretty well. But they didn’t, and we spiraled down. 

Disagree.... he obviously didn’t have a good feel for the game or was coaching scared. The Bills defense could not stop the Chiefs. They needed TDS to keep pace. A FG wasn’t going to do much there. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McD’s decision to kick in the first half based on “morale” was absolutely the right one. You could tell the team was shell shocked. They had to get points. I thought it was very astute coaching.
 

The national pundits didn’t see how aggressive he was all year, and how this was a total change from what he normally does— based on his very good instincts of looking at his team at that moment. 
 

The second half decision was too risk averse, as I think McD will now concede. But hindsight is 20/20. If the D had gotten a stop or turnover, it would have probably worked out pretty well. But they didn’t, and we spiraled down. 


The whole “morale” quote is somewhat taken out of context because moments later he admitted it was a mistake and that he would like to go for it at the end of the half.  Of course, that never gets reported 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:


Like I said, he didn’t say anything that most fans haven’t.  I think the resentment is there from fans because he was a pretty bad GM

He probably shouldn’t have said anything.😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. WEO said:

 

 

these 3 guys look like they are hunkered down, waiting for their next block of government cheese to wash down with their cases of Natty Light.

They haven’t been employed by an NFL franchise since they were ousted by McDermott

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...