Jump to content

Who's your one pass catcher to add? Draft, Free Agency or Trade.


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

This.

 

I know we're not pro GMs here, but every move bears a heavy risk-reward calculus/ trade-off. There are zero "no loss" decisions. Not impugning any particular person, but it  seems we posters often forget this.

 

That said, I favor grabbing T Hill, Watt (jr), and maybe K Mack this off-season.

 

Damn, this s**t is easy.

Got me thinking maybe bud Dupree might be available on a short term contract, he could help the pass rush.

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allen lost himself some $ with those playoff performances, IMO. 

Kenny Golladay and Josh Allen once put on a show that finally ended in 3OT at 230 AM MTN/430 AM Eastern. Golladay amassed 200 yards and 3 TD that night.  But Josh Allen was better, and, converted one

I don’t want to spend a penny on pass catchers. I’m all in on pass rushers

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Got me thinking maybe bud Dupree might be available on a short term contract, he could help the pass rush.

 

Interesting thought. I like him, esp his 2019 production (yes, I am clearly a football genius).

 

At what number, and do you give up on Klein relative to that number?

 

Also, will he be ready to make an impact upcoming season? My view and experience is that--though one can play earlier--it takes well over a year for "full" ACL recovery.

 

So, I'm squeamish re knee injuries (except Thurman Thomas!) and have no great insight re above.

 

Thank god we have exec o' yr to make these calls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

 

Interesting thought. I like him, esp his 2019 production (yes, I am clearly a football genius).

 

At what number, and do you give up on Klein relative to that number?

 

Also, will he be ready to make an impact upcoming season? My view and experience is that--though one can play earlier--it takes well over a year for "full" ACL recovery.

 

So, I'm squeamish re knee injuries (except Thurman Thomas!) and have no great insight re above.

 

Thank god we have exec o' yr to make these calls.

I see him more like Hughes, he would replace Addison's spot if they decide to move on from him.

 

As far as the injury, I agree that he probably will not be up to speed in the first year. Seems like a similar situation as Murphy though, and I think a two or three year deal might be possible. Really with our substitution defense and our place in the afc hierarchy it should probably be a good situation for him since he does not need to play 70+% of the snaps.

 

As far as number, he played on the tag for 15+ million last year. He was probably worth a little less than that so I would think the contract might be in the 10 million range per year and the longer it is the better it is for the Bills. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Got me thinking maybe bud Dupree might be available on a short term contract, he could help the pass rush.

I'm not sure he actually improves it honestly. QBs were getting the ball out in 2-2.5 seconds against this year and Dupree generally takes 3-4 seconds to get to the QB, and that's while playing next to far better pass-rushers than what he'd have here. He seems prime to get overpaid by someone and I hope it isn't us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im curious if the other Alabama wr will be available at 30.  Coming off his ankle injury with no work outs or combine I think he could make it.  Last year and coming into this year Waddle was the highest projected wr for Alabama.  Pipe dream? Maybe.  Clming out of thr KC game the Bills need more speed on offense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Receiver or Tight End.

 

Look at the teams competing in the super bowl this year. Each has not one but two elite receivers for each team. Beane is going to have to continue to work his magic.

 

My nomination:

 

Kenny Golladay.

 

We have to check out his medicals coming off that hip injury but he'll only be 27 to start the season next year. At 6'4" he still has enough speed to take the top off the defense. A deep threat that has averaged nearly 17 yards per reception for his four year career. He'd play the Marquez Valdez-Scantling role in our offense. Would we be able to clear enough cap space to afford him? He's a candidate to be franchise tagged too if the Lions can't work out a deal.

 

He'll likely earn the third highest WR contract in free agency this off-season behind Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin. 

There’s no chance we pay golladay what he’s going to get paid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm not sure he actually improves it honestly. QBs were getting the ball out in 2-2.5 seconds against this year and Dupree generally takes 3-4 seconds to get to the QB, and that's while playing next to far better pass-rushers than what he'd have here. He seems prime to get overpaid by someone and I hope it isn't us.

Agreed.  Good player.  Not elite or good enough for his price tag imo

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm not sure he actually improves it honestly. QBs were getting the ball out in 2-2.5 seconds against this year and Dupree generally takes 3-4 seconds to get to the QB, and that's while playing next to far better pass-rushers than what he'd have here. He seems prime to get overpaid by someone and I hope it isn't us.

The Steelers did move Dupree to the right side because Watt was more effective on the left so being on a team with those kind of pass rushers got him that. And really, the few guys that get to the qb in under 3 seconds don't come on the market often. Dupree has improved over time and I don't think a 2/20 or 3/30-35 is overpaying. He is also a good enough athlete to drop out into a zone which I hope we do more of while sending other folks.

 

I will also add that if you gave me a choice between him and Addison for similar money I'm taking Dupree.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

 

I will also add that if you gave me a choice between him and Addison for similar money I'm taking Dupree.

Thank god when someone explicitly states the trade-off, whether you agree or not.  

 

I like the OP's thread, but I wish there was room to add "...and specifically who/what would you be willing to give up for that FA, etc?"

 

Anyway, back to issue: @4BillsintheBurghsounds like you would be willing to "trade/give up" MA's $8m (someone correct me) for BD at, say, $30/3. Is that fair? I'm just trying to lay out parameters.

 

I don't think it's totally out of the question, but admit I'm a bit skeptical.

 

Sincere questions: this is primarily to resolve pass rush issues, thus potential fewer snaps on the ACL yr 1? I see his TFLs, but how is he v the run more generally? Finally, how sensitive would you be to the price? Still do it at, say, 36-3?

 

Not trying to bombard you w questions...it's an idea (again, I'm hesitant) that's at least worth further exploration. You can be damn sure OBD is considering all kinds of these options.

 

[Btw, not necessarily looking for immediate response. Unfortunately, we have time to ponder.]

Edited by Dukestreetking
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Thank god when someone explicitly states the trade-off, whether you agree or not.  

 

I like the OP's thread, but I wish there was room to add "...and specifically who/what would you be willing to give up for that FA, etc?"

 

Anyway, back to issue: @4BillsintheBurghsounds like you would be willing to "trade/give up" MA's $8m (someone correct me) for BD at, say, $30/3. Is that fair? I'm just trying to lay out parameters.

 

I don't think it's totally out of the question, but admit I'm a bit skeptical.

 

Sincere questions: this is primarily to resolve pass rush issues, thus potential fewer snaps on the ACL yr 1? I see his TFLs, but how is he v the run more generally? Finally, how sensitive would you be to the price? Still do it at, say, 36-3?

 

Not trying to bombard you w questions...it's an idea (again, I'm hesitant) that's at least worth further exploration. You can be damn sure OBD is considering all kinds of these options.

Well, you made me look, so I found this link:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/3/9/21167309/bud-dupree-is-going-to-get-a-big-contract-is-he-worth-it-part-3-run-defense-film-steelers-free-agent

 

When I watch the games I don't study him for example, but do know he has some attack to his game, and really the defense gives him the latitude to be aggressive. I don't know if McD's defense will allow him to attack in the same way but you can see he has the pop in his technique to keep blockers off of him. When healthy I think he can succeed in this defense. As you have said, the question is how much you give him due to a partial season at best in his first year. I also wonder if our state of the art facilities will also help convince him to come here.

 

As far as money limits, I don't have enough info to make that call. That will be on Beane to map out the next 4 or so years to determine the contract that best fits with who they want to have under contract. 

 

I looked at the one clip in that bunch and he does tackle Kyler Murray in a one-on-one situation. 😃

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me that if we had a Darius like dude that actually with smart and not lazy that would free up everybody else on the d-line to do their job. Plus we have a 6-4 receiver on injured reserve that should be playing next year that didn't drop a ball in college

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Well, you made me look, so I found this link:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/3/9/21167309/bud-dupree-is-going-to-get-a-big-contract-is-he-worth-it-part-3-run-defense-film-steelers-free-agent

 

When I watch the games I don't study him for example, but do know he has some attack to his game, and really the defense gives him the latitude to be aggressive. I don't know if McD's defense will allow him to attack in the same way but you can see he has the pop in his technique to keep blockers off of him. When healthy I think he can succeed in this defense. As you have said, the question is how much you give him due to a partial season at best in his first year. I also wonder if our state of the art facilities will also help convince him to come here.

 

As far as money limits, I don't have enough info to make that call. That will be on Beane to map out the next 4 or so years to determine the contract that best fits with who they want to have under contract. 

 

I looked at the one clip in that bunch and he does tackle Kyler Murray in a one-on-one situation. 😃

I got so motivated, I read all 3 parts of article, plus some related pieces. So thanks for passing along.

 

At same time, I just realized (derp) this is a pass catcher thread... apologies for jamming signals.

 

So, very quickly: (1) much more impressive in run game than I thought, and it's not a Watt second order effect. (2) believe, as you do, his skill set would fit well w Bills (3) even w acl tear, and probable PuP status early, he'll be out of our $ range.

 

But Beane is a wizard. Maybe he can make some magic happen w BD.

Edited by Dukestreetking
Frickin typos up ying yang
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 9:35 AM, Brennan Huff said:

I don’t want to spend a penny on pass catchers. I’m all in on pass rushers

 

Trey Henrickson would be my #1 FA target. Monster year with 13.5 sacks, and much bigger and stronger setting the edge than anyone we currently have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...