Who's your one pass catcher to add? Draft, Free Agency or Trade.

9 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Would you happen to know how much of a cap hit (or savings) it would it be if they cut Morse?

If you're looking to save some money, Mario Addison seems like a candidate. He has a $10 million cap hit if he stays and a $2 million hit if he's cut. He's just not that good and seems easily replaceable. I mean, he's OK, but he's the ultimate DE JAG. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-addison-8871/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

If you're looking to save some money, Mario Addison seems like a candidate. He has a $10 million cap hit if he stays and a $2 million hit if he's cut. He's just not that good and seems easily replaceable. I mean, he's OK, but he's the ultimate DE JAG. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-addison-8871/

Yeah. That seems like a no brainer right there. 

I'm not sure about Ertz. I'm sure he'll be available if we want him via trade. But he's already getting injuries and on the wrong side of 30. Same age as Kelce but Kelce is still healthy and dominating. It's just so hard to find elite TE's. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Tight end is tough - there are no good free agents and its a position with a steep learning curve.  Even 1st rounders tend to bloom a bit late.  

I know this sounds crazy but I'd stick with Knox. He definitely has the physical talent and it's a hard position to learn. Next year is year four and hopefully a breakout season. It seems like a better bet than a draft pick or FA pickup.

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

ENOUGH with the slightly above average role players.  

Cut guys like Jefferson, Butler, Addison, Brown, Morse etc.. 

Consolidate that money into 2 actual playmakers.  Then fill in rotation through the draft.  

KC's Defense has the 3 best defenders in the game last night... Mathieu, Jones and Clark.  They make it work with everyone else.  We have a bunch of good rotation guys, an ongoing lottery ticket at MLB, White and Poyer... Cool.... That led to a middle of the pack defense that got smoked by KC.  

The OP is onto something... Teams win with playmakers.  It wouldn't be the worst idea to overhaul the roster and consolidate cap space into another WR and/or EDGE... even if they're overpays (which an EDGE would be, because Dupree, Judon and Ngakoue aren't elite but will be paid as such). 

My one choice would be Najee Harris.  Both because he's a realistic draft pick and is a weapon in the pass game. 

I think Harris is absolutely the draft pick if he falls there, which he very well might. There are some obvious cuts to be made along with areas of need. The DL intrigues me because I think the return of Star, and the responsibility from opposing OLs he commands can help guys like Oliver and Espensa. We might not be as far off there as we think. I’d still welcome some fresh bodies though. I do believe you can let Milano walk too, I love the player, I only say that because the way to save younger, cheaper, Edmunds may be putting him outside 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I know this sounds crazy but I'd stick with Knox. He definitely has the physical talent and it's a hard position to learn. Next year is year four and hopefully a breakout season. It seems like a better bet than a draft pick or FA pickup.

Definitely keep Knox......he's cheap and under contract....... but if they can get a veteran upgrade that would be great.    KC basically gave Allen the TE all game because they know that if the Bills throw to Knox a often.......things eventually go haywire.  He is fast and powerful but he's awkward changing direction and, of course, with his hands.    Perhaps he can smooth out those aspects of his game with a good offseason of work.   Hopefully a significant portion of that time with Allen in CA.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Definitely keep Knox......he's cheap and under contract....... but if they can get a veteran upgrade that would be great.    KC basically gave Allen the TE all game because they know that if the Bills throw to Knox a often.......things eventually go haywire.  He is fast and powerful but he's awkward changing direction and, of course, with his hands.    Perhaps he can smooth out those aspects of his game with a good offseason of work.   Hopefully a significant portion of that time with Allen in CA.

That's exactly my thinking. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Allen's new contract money wouldn't kick in for two years. And it would probably be back loaded. If the Chiefs can have Hill, Kelce, Mahomes and Chris Jones I'd like to think we can cut some fat and sign another play maker. At least with Allen we can be seen as a WR/TE destination now.

Also Spotracs numbers are for the rock bottom 175 million cap. The cap is more than likely going to be set higher to avoid a "cap crunch" of they will do what the NBA did and leave the cap alone but have the players put 20-30% of their pay into escrow where then at the end of the season the league and the players will divvy up that money depending on the final revenue numbers. So I think the Bills are more than likely going to enter into an offseason where the cap is between 195-205 million which will mean that the Bills will likely enter free agency with between 22-32 million in cap space before any cuts or restructuring. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't think sticking with Knox is crazy at all. He does still have potential. Plus he's under contract for two more years on a cheap deal. He's definitely not going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I don't think sticking with Knox is crazy at all. He does still have potential. Plus he's under contract for two more years on a cheap deal. He's definitely not going anywhere.

I guess what I meant to say is that the Bills might want to view their own guy as a high-upside difference maker in coming years rather than a FA or draft pick. Tight ends take so long to develop and often flame out as pass catchers.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I have issues with Knox, but honestly, he played well last night. Perhaps more importantly, he’s very talented physically. I’m a believer in talent and coaching it up over time. Maybe he advances to the next level given his talent.

Idk if I'm just telling myself things to feel better, but I honestly feel like Knox made marked improvements throughout the year. Some of the catches he's capable of making are incredible. I think it seems he gets into trouble with easy catches when he has too much time to think, like he's thinking about avoiding hits or how he's going to run after the catch before securing the ball. In the last part of the season, though, he became Allen's go to for dumping off short passes and succeeded in that area.

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

Allen Robinson, guys been amazing with Christian Hackenberg, Blake Bortles, Mitch Trubisky and Nick Foles throwing to him.

Think how great he would be with Josh, and how much it would give to us when teams try to double Stef going forward. 

A sexy idea indeed, but WR is not a big concern for us.

DE is our top priority.

2 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Kenny Golladay and Josh Allen once put on a show that finally ended in 3OT at 230 AM MTN/430 AM Eastern. Golladay amassed 200 yards and 3 TD that night.  But Josh Allen was better, and, converted one of the most ridiculous walk off rushing TDs when the entire crowd was screaming at him to throw the ball away when the play broke down.   

Come to think of it, I still need to watch the first half of this game!

The game was scheduled for an 8:30 PM MTN start to accommodate television.  Well a big rainstorm swept through Laramie delaying the game for a few hours.  University administration decided to open up the fieldhouse for the fans to escape the rain.  The university brought all of the beer to the fieldhouse to sell during that rain delay.  Needles to say, by the time the game actually did start, we were all very wasted.  But by the second half, I was sobering up and by the end of the 3OT I was stone sober and screaming for Allen to throw the ball away and let the field goal kicker win the game.  Nope, Allen didn't want to leave anything to chance and figured he would just run around the field and find a way to score.  We made it home just in time to watch the sunrise.  It is #3 for me in top Josh Allen college moments.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Bills front office will have a ton of work to do restructuring contracts, and finding free agents who will be interested in taking less money in the first year of their contracts.   They can free up money but they will have to be clever.

This.

I know we're not pro GMs here, but every move bears a heavy risk-reward calculus/ trade-off. There are zero "no loss" decisions. Not impugning any particular person, but it  seems we posters often forget this.

That said, I favor grabbing T Hill, Watt (jr), and maybe K Mack this off-season.

Damn, this s**t is easy.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

This.

I know we're not pro GMs here, but every move bears a heavy risk-reward calculus/ trade-off. There are zero "no loss" decisions. Not impugning any particular person, but it  seems we posters often forget this.

That said, I favor grabbing T Hill, Watt (jr), and maybe K Mack this off-season.

Damn, this s**t is easy.

Got me thinking maybe bud Dupree might be available on a short term contract, he could help the pass rush.

• Thank you (+1) 1