Who's your one pass catcher to add? Draft, Free Agency or Trade.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:27 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

Come to think of it, I still need to watch the first half of this game!

The game was scheduled for an 8:30 PM MTN start to accommodate television.  Well a big rainstorm swept through Laramie delaying the game for a few hours.  University administration decided to open up the fieldhouse for the fans to escape the rain.  The university brought all of the beer to the fieldhouse to sell during that rain delay.  Needles to say, by the time the game actually did start, we were all very wasted.  But by the second half, I was sobering up and by the end of the 3OT I was stone sober and screaming for Allen to throw the ball away and let the field goal kicker win the game.  Nope, Allen didn't want to leave anything to chance and figured he would just run around the field and find a way to score.  We made it home just in time to watch the sunrise.  It is #3 for me in top Josh Allen college moments.

That *is*  just about the most ridiculous rushing TD I've seen.  Shades of Jerry Hughes!

On 1/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Definitely keep Knox......he's cheap and under contract....... but if they can get a veteran upgrade that would be great.    KC basically gave Allen the TE all game because they know that if the Bills throw to Knox a often.......things eventually go haywire.  He is fast and powerful but he's awkward changing direction and, of course, with his hands.    Perhaps he can smooth out those aspects of his game with a good offseason of work.   Hopefully a significant portion of that time with Allen in CA.

I have to wonder what Allen and the team see in practice with those throws to the TE and RB.  We know Allen loves the deep shot.  We know he struggled with those throws in college and as a rookie.  We know he's gotten much better at them.  Do they not practice them enough for him to be comfortable in the crunch?  Do they practice them, but Knox and Motor muff them too often for Allen to trust them?  What is it?

Because as I've said before Damn, sometimes those guys got enough green field around them to plant a freakin' tree farm!

That has just got to be a priority.

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That *is*  just about the most ridiculous rushing TD I've seen.  Shades of Jerry Hughes!

I have to wonder what Allen and the team see in practice with those throws to the TE and RB.  We know Allen loves the deep shot.  We know he struggled with those throws in college and as a rookie.  We know he's gotten much better at them.  Do they not practice them enough for him to be comfortable in the crunch?  Do they practice them, but Knox and Motor muff them too often for Allen to trust them?  What is it?

Because as I've said before Damn, sometimes those guys got enough green field around them to plant a freakin' tree farm!

That has just got to be a priority.

Trust me, I'm sure Josh has experienced the drops in practice from Knox & Singletary. But it doesn't change the fact at how critical it is to keep searching for a great TE/RB combo. I kinda want Singletary replaced and I'm willing to squeeze 1 more year out of Knox to see if he can step up.  Josh needs a safety valve and I think he feels he can get by with wrs.....

On 1/25/2021 at 10:31 AM, dave mcbride said:

Ain’t gonna happen. The Bills are $2.5 million under the cap and have to pay Allen a boatload of money, which they will. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Basically, they need to draft well.

It's not only that. 

If they valued him and thought he could make the O take a big time jump, they'd make it happen. But even if we let Smoke go, still have Diggs, Beez, Davis. Then Hodgins? Stills? McKenzie (if right price).. Rather draft a WR. 

I'd go TE or RB in FA with the $ we'd pay a player like Galloday. 

I Love Davis and intrigued by Hodgins. 

Obviously Diggs and Beez are certified, All Pro WR

The answer that makes the most sense to me is Curtis Samuel. He’s essentially a younger/slightly bigger, more explosive version of John Brown. I like Brown, but if you move on from him and use the money to sign Samuel, you replace Brown and McKenzie with one guy and still have a big role on offense carved out for Gabe Davis. Samuel is also a former Panther drafted while Brandon Beane was still there. I think he is in that second tier of receivers in FA. He can also return kicks. 

In terms of a TE, I think that may be harder to come by. Do you go crazy and offer sheet Robert Tonyan? Probably not enough cap for that. Jonnu Smith is probably too expensive as well. I would pursue (again) Kyle Juszcyk. He gets paid closer to fullback money but gives you a FB and a pass catcher who does everything a tight end can essentially do. You also have the poor man’s version of him in Anthony Firsker, who is a RFA. Jacob Hollister makes sense, but the lure of getting back together with Josh would have to pull him. 

A lot of people have mentioned Rex Burkhead as an add. And he makes a ton of sense on a few levels. He contributes in all phases of the game, so you essentially get Taiwan Jones with offensive contributions. He can catch the ball and run it as well. 

But before we do anything, we have to re-sign Daryl Williams. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2021 at 10:32 AM, MJS said:

Tampa Bay has nothing like the Chiefs have.

The OP is asking about which to add, WR or TE.  I’m not sure the relevance of Tampa has nothing like the Chiefs.  Regarding that though Mike Evans, Godwin, Miller, Brate and Gronk  are all assets.  They also have Ronald Jones who ran for 978 yards on a team like us who is a passing team.

Anyway, to the OP, Hunter Henry, amd he would cost $10 mil.  The only reason I’m not saying $10.6-9 mil. which is his market value is due to a possibility the cap goes down.  Too much confusion as to where the cap will be, so we have to wait for the owners meeting as they will decide and bring it to the NFLPA.  The article that came out the other day cited a bunch of player agents, and unnamed owners sources.  It might be true, but it’s pointless to give a number.  These billionaires will weigh out how many guys they have to purge vs. lose and figure out how much of a hit and how long you want to space out the hit.  If they do proceed like some speculate it spread over three years, then that also means even if they go with $190 (pure guess with nothing to back it up), then the only way in future years the cap goes up is if the new tv contracts dramatically go up.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:39 AM, LEBills said:

Allen Robinson, guys been amazing with Christian Hackenberg, Blake Bortles, Mitch Trubisky and Nick Foles throwing to him.

Think how great he would be with Josh, and how much it would give to us when teams try to double Stef going forward. 

Think also how expensive it would be and how we have little money.

Robinson's great but we're unlikely to be able to afford big-ticket FAs this year.

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Trust me, I'm sure Josh has experienced the drops in practice from Knox & Singletary. But it doesn't change the fact at how critical it is to keep searching for a great TE/RB combo. I kinda want Singletary replaced and I'm willing to squeeze 1 more year out of Knox to see if he can step up.  Josh needs a safety valve and I think he feels he can get by with wrs.....

It's not critical to have a great TE/RB combo. It's sure nice, but it's not critical.

Look at Tampa. Fournette has managed 3.7 YPC this year. Ronald Jones is better, but not great by any means. KC has them now but who did they have at RB last year when they won the Super Bowl? Damien Williams and a tired LeSean McCoy.

Both teams had excellent TE talent. That's clear. But you don't need better than a solid RB. History shows that. It would be nice to get a really good RB, but it's not necessary. More important would be to build the OL so they can make a solid running back look good.

With Pitts long gone in early rnd 1 and the Bills going Edge at pick 30 draft a TE

Who knows they may go with the bigger Pat Freiermuth

Or the smaller Brevin Jordan TE Miami in  Rnd 2

I have seen him listed at 6`4`245lbs but also at 6`3`235lbs

He can catch and gives Josh a good underneath outlet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brevin_Jordan 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/brevin-jordan-nfl-draft-player-profile-miami-tight-end/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=penn+state+tight+end&docid=608035222204712999&mid=0769F39D5FCCBC58BBEF0769F39D5FCCBC58BBEF&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

11 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You beat me to it Doc.

Agholor is my number one target to add to the receiving core through free agency. He's a far cheaper and therefore more realistic option than Golladay. Not sure how in the world he is coming off a one year $1 million dollar contract from the Raiders. Spotrac has his next contract projected at 2 years $20 million now. That's $7 million per year cheaper than Golladay's projection.  I wish John Brown well but I'm all for replacing him with Agholor.

Agholor reportedly blew up on the entire Raiders team including his teammates in the locker room after the Miami loss. The dude is cut from the same cloth as Diggs. He just wants to compete. 

Despite playing with a QB that prefers to spread it around to TE's and Running Backs, Agholor managed to have a break out season showing that he can be a big play threat averaging 18.7 ypc. He's the same age as Diggs. 

Agholor doesn't have any real injury issues or concerns as far as I know. He played all 16 last year and other than 2019 he played in all 16 in 2017 and 2018.

Brown, Beasley, Diggs have all had career years after joining the Bills and Allen. I'd predict the same for Agholor which would mean over 900 yards and around 10 TD's. 

In the draft go after the following with our first pick:

Kadarius Toney WR

Rondale Moore WR

Kyle Pitts TE

Defense with all our remaining picks. And probably rolling with Moss and Singeltary again in 2021.

He is coming off such a cheap contract bc he had major issues in Philly, to include underperforming and an alleged sexual assault 

39 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

He is coming off such a cheap contract bc he had major issues in Philly, to include underperforming and an alleged sexual assault 

I didn't hear about that.  What became of it?

Edit: did a search and the alleged assault happened in June of 2016.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The answer that makes the most sense to me is Curtis Samuel. He’s essentially a younger/slightly bigger, more explosive version of John Brown. I like Brown, but if you move on from him and use the money to sign Samuel, you replace Brown and McKenzie with one guy and still have a big role on offense carved out for Gabe Davis. Samuel is also a former Panther drafted while Brandon Beane was still there. I think he is in that second tier of receivers in FA. He can also return kicks. 

In terms of a TE, I think that may be harder to come by. Do you go crazy and offer sheet Robert Tonyan? Probably not enough cap for that. Jonnu Smith is probably too expensive as well. I would pursue (again) Kyle Juszcyk. He gets paid closer to fullback money but gives you a FB and a pass catcher who does everything a tight end can essentially do. You also have the poor man’s version of him in Anthony Firsker, who is a RFA. Jacob Hollister makes sense, but the lure of getting back together with Josh would have to pull him. 

A lot of people have mentioned Rex Burkhead as an add. And he makes a ton of sense on a few levels. He contributes in all phases of the game, so you essentially get Taiwan Jones with offensive contributions. He can catch the ball and run it as well. 

But before we do anything, we have to re-sign Daryl Williams. 

Love the Samuel option. But he is projected to make about $12.5 million per year on his next contract. Agholor might be the cheaper option. 

Rex Burkhead would be a good fit. But I wonder if he is too much of a luxury though based on the fact that I think we would only see about a third of the running back snaps. I'd definitely assume both Moss and Singletary are on the team next year. I'm sure if we signed Burkhead he would be the highest paid RB on our team.

TE's are so hard to find. I'd just suggest that if Kyle Pitts somehow falls out of the top 10 then Beane get on the phone and see what he can do. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think for WR, the Bills just want a #2.  Diggs is clearly our #1 and should receive the lions share of targets.  A decent, cheaper, healthier, speedy J Brown type.  That eliminates Robinson and Golladay.  Stills might fit, they have a bit of a look at him. 

TE should be targeted by the Bills.  Knox is good and improving but a veteran upgrade would produce benefits next year.  J Smith/Ertz/ or Hunter would really fit nicely.

RB can also use an upgrade but this is one area where a rookie can have short term benefits (unlike TE).  Either Harris or Etienne, and that helps with cost.

Financially on offense it would be shedding J Brown, Kroft, Morse, maybe Yeldon to accomodate the cheaper WR#2 and somewhat expensive veteran TE.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's not critical to have a great TE/RB combo. It's sure nice, but it's not critical.

Look at Tampa. Fournette has managed 3.7 YPC this year. Ronald Jones is better, but not great by any means. KC has them now but who did they have at RB last year when they won the Super Bowl? Damien Williams and a tired LeSean McCoy.

Both teams had excellent TE talent. That's clear. But you don't need better than a solid RB. History shows that. It would be nice to get a really good RB, but it's not necessary. More important would be to build the OL so they can make a solid running back look good.

Agree 100%. 

I'd also throw in that I'm not yet convinced CHE was a good pick for the Chiefs. I mean he is okay but nothing special. Now he was selected with the last pick in the first round so that's not as bad as say drafting a RB in the top 15. He basically had two good games for the Chiefs and one of them we baited them to run the entire game. I think folks need to come to the realization that Moss and Singeltary will be our RB duo again in 2021. 

An elite TE though would be huge for this team. I'd be all for giving away multiple picks for this Pitts guy out of Florida if he falls out of the top 10.

On 1/25/2021 at 10:37 AM, Do The Reich Thing said:

Yup... he’s lookin at Tannehill type money right now. 

I think the smart franchise thing would be to continue to make him prove it and play out his last two years of his contract. 

Tannehill???????????? dude watttttttttttttttt

On 1/25/2021 at 11:50 AM, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I already suggested this in a different topic but for me it's Kyle Pitts.  If he falls to the middle of the first round, you make a move to get him...I just don't think he makes it to the middle of the first.

That dude could change this offense, and be a redzone monster.  5 years ago i wouldve said we need to add to the D to keep up with the Chiefs.... and it wouldnt hurt, but i dont think thats how we beat them.  We need more firepower, keep the chains moving and improve in RZ.  Not to mention having another pass catcher wouldve helped with our receivers banged up.  You cant predict it happening, but still passing was 80% of our offense, hard to over invest at the position

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Well not yet....but once they cut Addison, Jefferson, and perhaps Brown or Morse they’ll have some cap to work with.

Not saying they should use that cap on Allen. 

Yeah, they would have a bit of cap after cutting those guys. But not much. Cut Mario Addison and you end up with a lot of dead cap. You save like a couple of mill. And they would also have created holes that need filling. Cut them and you have to bring in guys to replace them in the platoon that our coaches like to run. Those guys will cost money.

Brown, if they cut him, would actually save us a bit, but you're still left with miniscule money on the cap.

They've got 53 guys on the roster for right now, and they're over the cap by $7 mill. But among the guys on that roster are guys who will likely be camp cuts, taxi squad or simply gone. Tannger Gentry, Christian Wade, Duke Williams, Trey Adams, Nate Becker, Cam Lewis, Josh Thomas, Antonio Williams, Brandin Bryant, Bryan Cox Jr., Davis Webb, Kumerow ...

If any more than 2 or 3 of those guys are on the roster, we will suffer from lack of depth and personnel problems. But to replace them with guys who can play if they have to isn't a minimum salary deal, generally. It costs money.

We simply aren't going to have a lot this year. Yes, they can make some cuts or re-do some contracts. Even after that, we won't have much after signing our rookie draftees, re-signing whoever we can manage out of Milano, Feliciano and Darryl Williams, giving Allen a contract with a signing bonus, etc.