Who's your one pass catcher to add? Draft, Free Agency or Trade.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:50 AM, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I already suggested this in a different topic but for me it's Kyle Pitts.  If he falls to the middle of the first round, you make a move to get him...I just don't think he makes it to the middle of the first.

I love the name. Always reading that book to the kid these days.

But trading up to 15 would require trading a 1st rounder. Trading to 20 would still need around a 3rd. 

I like your guy Pitts, but don't see any way a prudent GM trades away that much value in a year when he has so little money to add guys in FA. They're gonna need their first three or four draftees to contribute.

If he somehow falls and they like him, he'd make a great addition.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

But trading up to 15 would require trading a 1st rounder. Trading to 20 would still need around a 3rd. 

I like your guy Pitts, but don't see any way a prudent GM trades away that much value in a year when he has so little money to add guys in FA. They're gonna need their first three or four draftees to contribute.

On the bright side we should be drafting in the 25-32 range for the foreseeable future. I think what Beane will want to do is make sure he gets picks back in return. As you say, being up against the cap soon we will need players to fill the roster for cheap. 

So we give up say a future first and third round pick but get in return 4th and 5th round picks. At least we still have the ability to still pick up two future players on cheap contracts. 

On 1/25/2021 at 10:37 AM, Do The Reich Thing said:

Yup... he’s lookin at Tannehill type money right now. 

I think the smart franchise thing would be to continue to make him prove it and play out his last two years of his contract. 

On 1/25/2021 at 10:33 AM, Plano said:

Allen lost himself some $ with those playoff performances, IMO. 

I can’t tell if you guys are joking, but I really hope you both are...putting Tannehill and Josh in the same category is a terrible take 

On 1/25/2021 at 9:12 PM, dave mcbride said:

How do you figure? He’s getting that contract this offseason, not next one. 

I think this was explained clearly in another thread...Allen will be getting a contract EXTENSION and not a NEW contract.  He will continue to play next year on a rookie level deal except for roster bonuses (which are paid through multiple years but are guaranteed in the contract).   the bills will not get the benefit of the 2nd year since they won't pick his 5th year option.

Our premium picks in this draft will likely be in these positions - OL, DL, CB, LB.    We could Ben scrambling to backfill Milano and Williams.   

At WR are going to continue to develop Davis, and Hogkins, and maybe draft another prospect in the mid to late rounds.  We will look at Stills and other vets as well but I see no big investments in WR.   I could get behind drafting a TE that is a legit pass catching threat is possible.   

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I think this was explained clearly in another thread...Allen will be getting a contract EXTENSION and not a NEW contract.  He will continue to play next year on a rookie level deal except for roster bonuses (which are paid through multiple years but are guaranteed in the contract).   the bills will not get the benefit of the 2nd year since they won't pick his 5th year option.

Yeah, i know, and i addressed that days ago in this very thread! :) 

On 1/25/2021 at 11:48 AM, dave mcbride said:

I know this sounds crazy but I'd stick with Knox. He definitely has the physical talent and it's a hard position to learn. Next year is year four and hopefully a breakout season. It seems like a better bet than a draft pick or FA pickup.

Next year will be Year 3 for Knox, but it seemed to me like he regressed this year.  I felt that he was a much better and more aggressive blocker last season (playoff game notwithstanding).  This year, it looks like he was tentative on blocks, whiffed at times, and missed assignments.  He also seemed more fluid and aggressive with the ball in his hands last year.  IMO, he was stiff and tentative after the catch this year (and still managed to fumble twice - on only 34 touches - this year).

Beane didn't really sound too enthused or impressed by the production from the TEs this year either.

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t think you waste premium picks on interior lineman....or even RTs. You can find those relatively easily in FA or later in the draft. Hopefully Beane learned this lesson when he wasted a 2nd round trade up on Cody Ford who was easily replaced by the likes of UDFA Ike Boettger.

I want pass rusher, CB, WR, or dynamic game changing RB at pick 30 if one is there. Even if a unique TE prospect is available I wouldn’t hate the pick. Anything less is somewhat disappointing. 

Nonsense.  Interior line players are valuable too.  We have looked for good OG’s and a good RT for long time.  We finally found one with Williams at RT.    The “relatively easy” part is just not true.  

The biggest needs are DL, OL and CB.   If Williams leaves and Morse gets released we are in trouble on the OL and we will have to rely on Ford.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Disagree.... the Chiefs interior offensive line(the one that just dominated the Bills last week)consists of a 7th round pick at LG, an UDFA at C, and another UDFA at RG. 

Spend those high draft picks on premier positions, don’t reach for need, IMO. 

I could see Mango extended at Morse cut.  With Allen seeing the feild i think they could put protection on Allen.  It may already be.  

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Disagree.... the Chiefs interior offensive line(the one that just dominated the Bills last week)consists of a 7th round pick at LG, an UDFA at C, and another UDFA at RG. 

Spend those high draft picks on premier positions, don’t reach for need, IMO

I did not see the Chief interior OL dominate anything.   Other than one end-around play we held their ground game in check.  The Chief are very lucky if their Interior OL, being made up of that, is actually that good rather than simply low cost and functional.  Reid has had 8 years to find that line too.  Beane is on year 4.  

What I did see was the Chiefs interior DL’s completely dominate our interior OL (Made up of a UDFA (Boettger), #2 (Morse), and Feliciano (#4), making me think all of these guys can be upgraded.  

If Williams is not retained then drafting an OT is not out of the questioning and is probably very likely. If Morse is not retained we have to retain Feliciano.   That leaves Ford at either RT (underwhelming in past) or at Guard.  Is Boettger-Feliciano-Ford any better than Ford-Morse-Feliciano?   Who replaces Williams?  Nyshke?  Bates? 

No one thinks that  OL is sexy just don’t be surprised if they to spend a 1 or a 2 on OL if 5hey plan to get any immediate  help from the draft.   UDFAs and late round picks are usually 2-3 year projects, and yes, they will also try to go that route but not for immediate help.  They had UDFA Trey Adams on the PS all year but I seriously doubt they will bank in him stepping into the starting RT spot or even to make the team as back-up swing tackle.  

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d have to watch again but I saw Jones(a very good DT) basically make Feliciano his B word..... doesn’t mean you have to overreact and draft his replacement in the 1st or 2nd round. 

Just don’t want to see them reach for need. Stick to BPA at premier positions(pass rusher, CB, dynamic playmaker on offense) 

Feliciano has been solid all year when I have watched him but Jones made him look awful. I think Jones was the best player on KC and impacted the game more than anyone else.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d have to watch again but I saw Jones(a very good DT) basically make Feliciano his B word..... doesn’t mean you have to overreact and draft his replacement in the 1st or 2nd round. 

Just don’t want to see them reach for need. Stick to BPA at premier positions(pass rusher, CB, dynamic playmaker on offense) 

I not suggesting anyone overreact because if one game.   People here want to cut Singletary for dropping a pass.  Just pointing out the possibility that Williams could leave for more money, Morse could be cut to save money, and based on those circumstances Beane could decide to draft a tackle or a guard/center, especially if he thinks they can start right away.  Not popular but not an impossible scenario.  

I get that you put low value on OL, especially the interior positions, but your only as strong as the weakest link.  

Do I have to give just one or can I share a list of draft-able prospects? Doing it anyways! Just bringing a little bit of anarchy.

WR:

Frank Darby - 6'0 1/8 " 194 RS Senior from ASU Career Rec 67 Yds 1317 TDs 13 YPC 19.7

Nico Collins - 6'4 1/4" 215 Junior (opt out would have been a senior) from Michigan Career Rec 78 Yds 1388 TDs 13 YPC 17.8

Desmond Fitzpatrick - 6'2 1/8" 202 RS Senior from Louisville Career Rec 154 Yds 2589 TDs 21 YPC 16.8

Josh Palmer - 6'1 1/4" 210 Senior from Tennessee Career Rec 99 Yds 1514 TDs 7 YPC 15.3

Amari Rodgers - 5'9 1/2" 211 Senior from Clemson Career Rec 181 Yds 2,144 TDs 15 YPC 11.8

Marquez Stevenson - 5'10" 182 Senior from Houston Career Rec 127 Yds 1962 TDs 18 YPC 15.4

That's strictly Senior Bowl players minus Toney and Devonta Smith who will most likely be gone before 30.

First round I think we go RB all the way maybe Najee Harris(essentiality another pass catcher 7 receptions for 70 yards against osu. ) out of Alabama. and I feel second and third round we are going to tend towards the defense side of the ball.  I just cant see WR in early rounds this year. If we replace Brown instead of the ability to rework Browns contract then they will address it in FA.

we have a dual threat QB and having a dual threat HB like Najee Harris would bring this team into the next stratosphere 

Harris is 6'2 runs a 40 in around 4.45 decent catch radius.   I know you folks were thinking TE or WR but... Im thinking what this dude can do in the open field compared what we have lol...  rework Browns contract this year. I realize this is not the most popular move for this draft out of some of ya BUT.. lets try and keep what we got get what we can out of the draft this year. We in to much cap hell right now.

Every time I mention RB I hear... we not in 2011 or we don't need a great RB....  We don't Run 35 times a game any more with our RB;s blah blah blah blah blah... The insane threat of a dangerous RB makes passing much easier and teams trying to come up with a strategy against us will have nightmares... will they run to open up the pass or pass to open up the run.

Balance.

Sorry If I was off topic here.. I just don't see us picking up another strong WR or TE in FA or in Draft. A Solid b+ runner fixes our offense,, and one at that, that can catch the dam ball

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

First round I think we go RB all the way maybe Najee Harris(essentiality another pass catcher 7 receptions for 70 yards against osu. ) out of Alabama. and I feel second and third round we are going to tend towards the defense side of the ball.  I just cant see WR in early rounds this year. If we replace Brown instead of the ability to rework Browns contract then they will address it in FA.

we have a dual threat QB and having a dual threat HB like Najee Harris would bring this team into the next stratosphere 

Harris is 6'2 runs a 40 in around 4.45 decent catch radius.   I know you folks were thinking TE or WR but... Im thinking what this dude can do in the open field compared what we have lol...  rework Browns contract this year. I realize this is not the most popular move for this draft out of some of ya BUT.. lets try and keep what we got get what we can out of the draft this year. We in to much cap hell right now.

Every time I mention RB I hear... we not in 2011 or we don't need a great RB....  We don't Run 35 times a game any more with our RB;s blah blah blah blah blah... The insane threat of a dangerous RB makes passing much easier and teams trying to come up with a strategy against us will have nightmares... will they run to open up the pass or pass to open up the run.

Balance.

Sorry If I was off topic here.. I just don't see us picking up another strong WR or TE in FA or in Draft. A Solid b+ runner fixes our offense,, and one at that, that can catch the dam ball

On offense KC has Mahommes and two Pro Bowl impact players in Kelce and Hill.  After that they have a bunch of solid contributors.  

Buffalo has Allen and one Pro Bowl impact player in Diggs.  After that we have a bunch of solid contributors (Beasley, Brown, Knox and Davis).    Finding a big impact TE like Kelce is probably harder than finding an impact RB.  If we had one back that did it all like Thurman did - run (speed and power), catch (great hands and YAC), and block (blitz pick up) I think opposing teams will have much more trouble matching up.  Being able to run and pass with the same personnel on the field helps the offense.  

I don’t know if Harris is that guy and if he is there at 30 there might even be DL, OL, LB, and CB’s that grade higher.  

Beane said with the cap situation he needs a good draft.  I took that to mean get some players to help right now.  So much depends on who we can sign -  will we re-sign Williams, Milano, Feliciano?  If not we have 3 starters to replace.    Will we dump salaries (Morse, Brown, Addison,  Murphy, Jefferson, Butler)?   If we do there are a few more starters to replace.  

I think the draft will be hard to predict until some of the cap and free agency questions are answered.   Beane is going to have to earn his pay to make the roster better next year.  Plus, he needs guys like Ford, Knox and Epenesa to all improve and be more consistent.  

Edited by Bob in STL

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

On offense KC has Mahommes and two Pro Bowl impact players in Kelce and Hill.  After that they have a bunch solid contributors.  

Buffalo has Allen and one impact player in Diggs.  After that we have a bunch of solid contributors (Beasley, Brown, Knox and Davis).    Finding a big impact TE like Kelce is probably harder than finding an impact RB.  If we had one back that did it all like Thurman did - run (speed and power), catch (great hands and YAC), and block (blitz pick up) I think opposing teams will have much more trouble matching up.  Being able to run and pass with the same personnel on the field helps the offense.  

I don’t know if Harris is that guy and if he is there at 30 there might be DL, OL, LB, and CB’s that grade higher.  

Beane said with the cap situation he needs a good draft.  I took that to mean get some players to help right now.  So much depends on who we can sign -  will we re-sign Williams, Milano, Feliciano?  If not we have 3 starters to replace.    Will we dump salaries (Morse, Brown, Addison,  Murphy, Jefferson, Butler)?   If we do there are a few more starters to replace.  

I think the draft will be hard to predict until some of the cap and free agency questions are answered.   Beane is going to have to earn his pay to make the roster better next year.  Plus, he needs guys like Ford, Knox and Epenesa to all improve and be consistent.  

I will stick with my pick lol