Detriot Lions and Stafford to part ways this offseason

Wayne Cubed

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is a competitor. I just think it seems to take some adversity for him to find that setting. He is a guy who is better down 27-17 entering the 4th than he is at 0-0.

A tough way to make a living.

It's nice to know he's capable of a comeback. I just wouldn't want to rely on that recipe.

2 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

A tough way to make a living.

It's nice to know he's capable of a comeback. I just wouldn't want to rely on that recipe.

Indeed. Detroit is a mess though and has been a mess for a while. They are more dysfunctional than the Jets in my opinion. Only the Benglas are more poorly run in the whole NFL. I don't give Stafford a pass by any means but if I start writing a list of the Lions' issues I am into double figures before I get to Stafford. And it starts with the Ford family.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except he is right up there among QBs in the last decade in 4th Quarter comebacks. I think Stafford is clutch. If anything the opposite is true. Too often he plays small early in games which is why they are behind. It is like he is too laid back but once you flick that switch he can go.

Lived in MI from 2011-2016, so saw more than my share of Lions games. He always struck me as really talented, athletically reminded me a lot of Jim Kelly, he’s just not a leader, which was Kelly’s biggest asset... or at least not enough of a leader to overcome the lack of organization and discipline that defines that club. He could never get that team to rally around him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, transient said:

Lived in MI from 2011-2016, so saw more than my share of Lions games. He always struck me as really talented, athletically reminded me a lot of Jim Kelly, he’s just not a leader, which was Kelly’s biggest asset... or at least not enough of a leader to overcome the lack of organization and discipline that defines that club. He could never get that team to rally around him. 

I think the bit I bolded is the nail smacked on the head. He is not a strong enough personality to drag that franchise kicking and screaming out of its deep seated dysfunction based on the undeniable talent in his right arm. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is a competitor. I just think it seems to take some adversity for him to find that setting. He is a guy who is better down 27-17 entering the 4th than he is at 0-0.

Be surprised on the Giants. Think they are sticking with Jones one more year. Wrongly in my view but there you are.

We will see I guess. It’s easy to say that before quality options present themselves. I live an hour away from MetLife stadium and hear plenty about the Giants. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they were thinking about bringing in another guy.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson, now Matt Stafford.

As bad as Buffalo has had it (until recently) Detroit has been exponentially worse.  

Hope he finds a team he can be in the post-season with.  

Great place for Deshaun Watson to go.

You know how Allen can take over a game, get that look in his eyes and will the team to victory?  We’ve seen it numerous times already in his still-young career.

Stafford never does that.  My Lions fan friends have been waiting and waiting and waiting to see some magic from him and it’s never come.  He’s tough, but he’s not a leader.  He’s not a winner.  He’s not Allen.

• Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

You can win a championship with Stafford.  San Francisco, Chicago, New Orleans, and Indianapolis could all win a Super Bowl with him as their QB.  

I see him heading to San Francisco.

New Orleans couldn’t get him under the cap without decimating their roster more than they’re already going to have to. 

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

@FireChans I know about his fourth quarter comebacks.  So don’t.  They usually come after he’s played poorly for 3+ quarters.  He’s a perennial disappointment.  With his talent he should take over games and he never ever does.

What I will say is that the Detroit Lions lose games for lots of reasons and they win games because of Matt Stafford.

They have had mediocre talent at almost every position but WR for basically his entire career there.