Detriot Lions and Stafford to part ways this offseason

Wayne Cubed

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I tend to see him as part of the problem.

I remember in his second season reading a story where he was talking about all the marble he had imported for his house and all this other material stuff.............and I thought that was a bit of putting the cart before the horse for like a 21 year old dude.........and back then when you went #1 overall you got paid HUGE.

As a friend of mine says...........it's pre-paying the ransom.

Sometimes money like that can remove the focus and I never found him to be a great competitor.   

Interesting. I never heard this. I agree, he was not a part of the solution, yet he has the talent. 

Competitiveness does not seem to be his calling card, as you've mentioned.

Get out from under the Lions doldrums would have to catapult him somewhat, I'd think.

Feel bad for lions fans. Stafford is a stud and if he ends up in SF they are SB favorites. Back to the lions was this the best way to go about this? By telling the world your are mutually parting ways are you not devaluing what you can get for Stafford? I feel like doing this behind closed doors and getting offers with Stafford being in the mix would be more tactful and get the most value. Now you’re telling the world hey if we can’t trade him we will release him. They went from getting a first rounder to maybe a second if they’re lucky. Dude is going to make some franchise very happy for a cheap price. Hope it’s not in the AFC East 

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Stafford is due $20M next season and $22M the next.

He's 33 years old.

https://overthecap.com/player/matt-stafford/1060/

Possibly the "arrangement" has to do with signing bonus, which at present would leave Detroit $19M in dead cap after a trade.

I would say maybe Colts, but depends upon what exactly Detroit wants for him.

I would think a mid-round first would get it done; maybe less.  Probably makes sense for the Colts.  He's a (small) step up from Rivers...

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He will go wherever he thinks he can win. 

Colts would be my first bet and honestly I think he is better than 2020 Philip Rivers. 49ers and Carolina also in play.

Good call on niners. I can see them and the Colts as almost perfect landing spots.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except he is right up there among QBs in the last decade in 4th Quarter comebacks. I think Stafford is clutch. If anything the opposite is true. Too often he plays small early in games which is why they are behind. It is like he is too laid back but once you flick that switch he can go.

As mentioned earlier, perhaps he lacks "compete".

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Stafford is due $20M next season and $22M the next.

He's 33 years old.

https://overthecap.com/player/matt-stafford/1060/

Possibly the "arrangement" has to do with signing bonus, which at present would leave Detroit $19M in dead cap after a trade.

I would say maybe Colts, but depends upon what exactly Detroit wants for him.

A 3rd round pick is what they will get.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I think Houston will be on the phone...Stafford and a high pick for Watson.   

Not quite sure stafford would be ok being traded to Houston.  Even Morrison for Watson...and he has a no trade clause iirc

4 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I think Houston will be on the phone...Stafford and a high pick for Watson.   

Why would Watson want to play for Detroit? And why would Stafford want to play for Houston? Talk about not making your life as a QB better...

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Agree 1

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Why would Watson want to play for Detroit? And why would Stafford want to play for Houston? Talk about not making your life a a QB better...

Yeah, little to no chance of this happening imo 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Why would Watson want to play for Detroit? And why would Stafford want to play for Houston? Talk about not making your life as a QB better...

That's a very good point...Watson supposedly has a no-trade clause in his contract.

6 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

As mentioned earlier, perhaps he lacks "compete".

I think he is a competitor. I just think it seems to take some adversity for him to find that setting. He is a guy who is better down 27-17 entering the 4th than he is at 0-0.

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

49ers

Giants

Washington 

got to be in here

Be surprised on the Giants. Think they are sticking with Jones one more year. Wrongly in my view but there you are.