Detriot Lions and Stafford to part ways this offseason

Wayne Cubed

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What I will say is that the Detroit Lions lose games for lots of reasons and they win games because of Matt Stafford.

They have had mediocre talent at almost every position but WR for basically his entire career there. 

Im sorry when do the Detroit Lions win games? 

He should go to Oakland and become Gruden’s latest salvage project.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Im sorry when do the Detroit Lions win games? 

He should go to Oakland and become Gruden’s latest salvage project.

About a little less than half the time.

Matt Stafford in the AFC South or the NFC East probably has 4-5 division titles.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Matt Stafford in the AFC South or the NFC East probably has 4-5 division titles.

His division has mostly sucked for most of his career.  But anyhow you’ll soon find out if you’re right.  They’re letting him go (which should tell you everything), and we’ll see if Arians or Gruden or or McDaniels or Shanahan can win with him.  I’m skeptical.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I think people might forget the 5k a season stafford chucking the ball non stop because they had zero run game and zero defense. Everyone knew he had to throw, he took a beating, and still kept them in games. The Caldwell lions were close to taking the next step. Then they hired Patricia. 
I think the best question here would be... Has the beatings stafford taken ruined his body and mind? Cause the arm talent is still there. 

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think people might forget the 5k a season stafford chucking the ball non stop because they had zero run game and zero defense. Everyone knew he had to throw, he took a beating, and still kept them in games. The Caldwell lions were close to taking the next step. Then they hired Patricia. 
I think the best question here would be... Has the beatings stafford taken ruined his body and mind? Cause the arm talent is still there. 

Arm talent and toughness, certainly.  Not enough leadership or brains.  He’s aloof and not a master of the Xs and Os.  Plus he’s liable to get canceled because of an errant tweet from his wife.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

26 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

His division has mostly sucked for most of his career.  But anyhow you’ll soon find out if you’re right.  They’re letting him go (which should tell you everything), and we’ll see if Arians or Gruden or or McDaniels or Shanahan can win with him.  I’m skeptical.

I mean, I’m not saying Stafford is the greatest of all time or has been perfect.  But is he a top 16 QB? I’d say yes, easily.

25 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Stafford is tired of rebuilding with a new HC. I don’t blame him.

8 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Damn, when bills needed a qb where were this deals? Guys like Stafford and Watson are being thrown around for trades.

Lol...was thinking the same thing...we were so desperate for a QB in 2013, our best shot at a QB was EJ Manuel in the first round...

• Like (+1) 1

Could the AFCE become the toughest division in football? 

-NE: There were some whispers of Stafford to NE for 2021 during the season. Maybe unfounded. But he’s available now. Pats have some more space, BB, and 10 players coming back from covid. 

-Watson: reported we wants out bad. Top 2 choices are NYJ and MIA. 

Imagine a division with Watson, Allen, Stafford. Plus the defenses of McD, BB, and Flores. Not sure there would be a deeper combination of offense and defense in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Could the AFCE become the toughest division in football? 

-NE: There were some whispers of Stafford to NE for 2021 during the season. Maybe unfounded. But he’s available now. Pats have some more space, BB, and 10 players coming back from covid. 

-Watson: reported we wants out bad. Top 2 choices are NYJ and MIA. 

Imagine a division with Watson, Allen, Stafford. Plus the defenses of McD, BB, and Flores. Not sure there would be a deeper combination of offense and defense in the league. 

Shades of Brees, Ryan and Cam at their peaks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think this is telling me two things: 1) The Lions are in for a full rebuild 2) The Lions are really trying to change how they treat players. In the past Stafford would have had to retire to get away like Sanders and Megatron. So it seems like the new owner is serious about treating the players better than her predecessor.

At least the Lions fans have that going for them, which is nice

9 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I think this is telling me two things: 1) The Lions are in for a full rebuild 2) The Lions are really trying to change how they treat players. In the past Stafford would have had to retire to get away like Sanders and Megatron. So it seems like the new owner is serious about treating the players better than her predecessor.

At least the Lions fans have that going for them, which is nice

The story coming out is that they told their new GM and HC that Stafford was probably on his way out.  Their latest blue chip player had a rough rookie season.