Gabriel Davis sideline catch

Watched the replay a few times this morning on ESPN who did a nice job showing the sliver of green in between Davis' left foot and the sideline.  But in watching those replays it looked to me as though he bobbled the ball slightly after getting two feet in, reestablishing full possession only AFTER he lifted his right foot.  

If any of you care to review the play and comment, I'd like to read your takes.  I think it could have been ruled incomplete based on the late bobble.

Edited by BillnutinHouston
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

They addressed this in the Tampa Bay/Washington game on a called catch in the endzone. The review would have to show clear evidence that he lost control or didn't have control of the ball while 2 feet were down. A slight shifting in his hands is not loss of control. This is different than gaining control when ball contacts the ground.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I think Tony Dungey made a good point of this during the Washington Tampa game when Sims' touchdown catch was reviewed. He got both feet in but in super slow mo you could see a slight bobble of the ball. Only at super slow. He then said for the past 100 years in football this is a touchdown. Because of technology and being to see something minute does not make it so. The officials came back and announced it was indeed a catch, as it should have been, as it has been for the past 100 years as Dungey said. 

The same holds true to Davis' catch. Perosnally, I don't think the technology should be used to pick up such subtle minutiae, but rather for to prevent glaring mistakes that were missed. Like if a foot was in or out or perhaps something like a knee that wasn't down when the ball came loose for instance. Which was fairly obvious to 30,000,000 people watching the game.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Calidiehard said:

They addressed this in the Tampa Bay/Washington game on a called catch in the endzone. The review would have to show clear evidence that he lost control or didn't have control of the ball while 2 feet were down. A slight shifting in his hands is not loss of control. This is different than gaining control when ball contacts the ground.

This is correct

I thought the other sideline catch was closer to be honest. It was hard to tell if he had already lifted his foot up before he had caught the ball. Again they ruled it a catch so there was not enough to overturn.  

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Watched the replay a few times this morning on ESPN who did a nice job showing the sliver of green in between Davis' left foot and the sideline.  But in watching those replays it looked to me as though he bobbled the ball slightly after getting two feet in, reestablishing full possession only AFTER he lifted his right foot.  

If any of you care to review the play and comment, I'd like to read your takes.  I think it could have been ruled incomplete based on the late bobble.

I saw a phenomenal catch 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, bobobonators said:

I saw a phenomenal catch 

Davis is a gem, and Allen has a ton of faith in him.

He has been doing some amazing sideline and end zone toe-drags in bounds all year.

That kid has phenomenal concentration. Kudos to our scouting staff.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

2 amazing throws

2 amazing catches

2nd throw I thought was more impressive. Rolling to his left and throwing cross body while being chased. We've seen it several times this year.  I can honestly say from what I've seen this year that no QB tosses a better cross body throw with velocity and accuracy than our boy Josh. That's not homerism, it's reality.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

He had 3 sideline catches. Just watched each of them from all angles at regular speed and in slow motion. He didn't appear to booble the ball any of the catches and he got both feet down on all three. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Davis is a gem, and Allen has a ton of faith in him.

He has been doing some amazing sideline and end zone toe-drags in bounds all year.

That kid has phenomenal concentration. Kudos to our scouting staff.

For a rookie he's shown amazing poise and concentration especially in his foot placement. 

• Like (+1) 2