Forgotten cautionary tales of Reich's Colts

I think we'll roll the Colts, but there ARE two cautionary tales...

2019: Reich's Colts go to Kansas City on a Sunday night and shut down Mahomes' high-powered offense, winning 19-13.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401128053

2018, Wild Card playoffs: Reich's Colts go on the road and bury Watson and the Texans, 21-7.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=401038952

Different players, sure, but same regime. These games are part of their experience.

• Like (+1) 4

I'm not taking anything for granted -- they're a complete and veteran team with a good coach, with savvy veteran quarterback, and they play the type of physical style that wins playoff games in January.

I'll be grateful for a win, regardless of what it looks like.

Edited by BuffaloBobs
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The Colts held the ball for 37:15 in their win over the Chiefs. I bet we see the same ball-control approach this week. This might be the first time we see a team really focus the game plan on keeping Josh and the offense off the field.

That’s really their only chance.....other than the refs calling a blindside block when we’re about to win.

I would assume that our game plan on D is to focus on shutting down the run.  I’d hope that we see a few 3 LB sets thrown in there.  I know it’s rare for us, but I think we might need it this week

• Like (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s really their only chance.....other than the refs calling a blindside block when we’re about to win.

I would assume that our game plan on D is to focus on shutting down the run.  I’d hope that we see a few 3 LB sets thrown in there.  I know it’s rare for us, but I think we might need it this week

I only fear our guys getting lost in the moment -- second time in the playoffs, first time having fans all season, highest expectations for the team in most of theses guys lifetimes.

These Bills have always risen to the challenge and moment but the margins keep getting smaller and the hype is only going to continue growing.

• Like (+1) 2

Reich is a very good coach - and I think he knows how to mentally prepare his team for moments exactly like this.  He loves the underdog role and will use that, and he's keeping that team loose.

I get more freaked out by this match-up with each passing day, but I probably would have done that regardless of opponent.  In most other years in the AFC, we probably wouldn't have to face a team of the Colts' caliber until the AFCCG.  They are a solid team, top to bottom, and don't give many games away.

• Like (+1) 1

I think if we're lucky with the toss and a few bounces, we shut down the run early with our offense. Score 14 in the first and build a lead so they will be forced to pass. Put the pressure on early to show you;re going to need a forty-burger to hang. Yeah, they won't abandon it completely. But we could really minimize it fast if all goes well.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Success said:

Reich is a very good coach - and I think he knows how to mentally prepare his team for moments exactly like this.  He loves the underdog role and will use that, and he's keeping that team loose.

I get more freaked out by this match-up with each passing day, but I probably would have done that regardless of opponent.  In most other years in the AFC, we probably wouldn't have to face a team of the Colts' caliber until the AFCCG.  They are a solid team, top to bottom, and don't give many games away.

It was 20-14 after the 3rd q last week vs the 1-14 Jags. Let’s give them respect but not go overboard here. 

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Success said:

If it makes you feel better, remember that they shouldn't even be in the playoffs this year! 

We are basically playing what should have been the first team to be eliminated from the playoffs.

I know.  Doesn't make me feel better either!  Worrying is in my blood, but I think we'll be fine.  

😂

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

It was 20-14 after the 3rd q last week vs the 1-14 Jags. Let’s give them respect but not go overboard here. 

They also gave the Jags their 1 win this year.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Colts are well coached. Don't beat themselves. Tough and physical. They are built for a playoff run. It's going to be a battle. 

Neither do the Dolphins.  We will just take it from them like Deebo jacking Red's chain...

49 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I think we'll roll the Colts, but there ARE two cautionary tales...

2019: Reich's Colts go to Kansas City on a Sunday night and shut down Mahomes' high-powered offense, winning 19-13.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401128053

2018, Wild Card playoffs: Reich's Colts go on the road and bury Watson and the Texans, 21-7.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=401038952

Different players, sure, but same regime. These games are part of their experience.

You might mention the 34-31 OT win they notched up against the Packers this very November.

They're a good team.  I don't think McD, Daboll, and Frazier let the team look past them or take them lightly.

• Like (+1) 3

Yeah, I was going to mention that, too Hapless. They're a weird team. Lost to the Jags, lost to the Browns and Steelers, but beat the Packers. Beat the Titans on the road, then get blasted at home by those same Titans.  

That being said, I think the Bills are just too much for them!! GO BILLS!!

Edited by Houston's #1 Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I think if we're lucky with the toss and a few bounces, we shut down the run early with our offense. Score 14 in the first and build a lead so they will be forced to pass. Put the pressure on early to show you;re going to need a forty-burger to hang. Yeah, they won't abandon it completely. But we could really minimize it fast if all goes well.

I feel like the game is either going to go like that or be a total nailbiter.

I do believe our defense is better than that of both those other teams and that will help us a lot.

And for those worried about our run defense. I am too, but I did a bit of digging, and while the opponents were different...

Before the bye, we allowed

280car-1349yds-4.82yds per carry.                                  

After the bye,  134-564-4.21yds per carry.  

That 4.21 would rank top-10 over 16 games

Over half a yard per carry difference. 

I think the defense is getting hot which is why our margins are so much better lately.

More turnovers, good special teams as well have helped give the team better field position and more possessions. I believe this is something that is able to continue because our defense is getting healthy at the right time and has seemed to be playing better snd better each of the past few weeks. 

The Colts are a good, solid football team with excellent coaching.  Anyone who thinks the Bills will "roll" them is just feeling a little too high & mighty right now.

If the Bills DO wind up winning a laugher I can't imagine what this board is going to look like next week (but I'd like to see it).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1