Will Deshaun Watson get traded? Could he land in AFCE?

Alphadawg7

Will Watson get traded?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Odds Watson is traded this season

• 100%
    • 50%
    • 20%
    • 0%
  2. 2. If he does get traded where will he go?

• Jets
    • Jags
    • Miami
    • Other

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Getting closer ...

... so who's the last true elite QB in his prime (let's say "still in his 20s") to get traded? It has to have happened.

There was this way back when (I only thought about Roman Gabriel because I just mentioned him in the "most physically gifted QB ever" thread)

https://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2013/06/1973-eagles-pay-heavy-price-in-trade.html

But Gabriel was already 32 and a bit past his prime.

Drew Bledsoe? He barely hits your age cut off. Maybe he wasn't top tier elite but he was still really good.

Edited by Boxcar

Houston would be foolish to trade him, especially without drafting his replacement.

They sure blew trading that draft pick to Miami.

Saturday can’t come fast enough. It’s been the longest week for me.

Edited by dlonce

I can think of 2 trades from many years ago of QBs in their primes:

In 1967 Fran Tarkington was traded from Minnesota to the NY Giants, spending 5 seasons with them.  Then in 1972 he was traded back to the Vikings and finished the last 7 years of his career there.

In 1980 Ken Stabler & Dan Pastorini were traded for each other.  Some would argue they were past their primes, but when the trade was made neither team thought they were getting an over the hill QB.  

If we played along with the idea it is possible (it isn't) I think there are only 6 possibly 7 teams in the NFL who wouldn't be at least interested in doing their due dilligence:

Kansas City and Buffalo - the only two teams in the NFL with QBs under 30 who have played at a level above Watson. 

Seattle - Russ is 32 and has slowed down the stretch for two seasons in a row now but he is Seattle's best ever player. He is the franchise. They are in for the long haul. 

Green Bay - this one might be more controversial given Aaron is getting up there in age, but the Packers spent a 1st on their QB of the future last April. They are not admitting a mistake on that without seeing the guy on the field. They might regret it.

LAC - Herbert had a great rookie year and is under cost control for the next 4 years. 

Bengals - similar to the above. Burrow wasn't quite as dynamic as Herbert and has had the ACL but Cincy are staying the course.

They are the 6.... the 7th possible is Jacksonville because they sit with a chance to take a generational prospect. I think they likely stand pat and pick Lawrence though I suspect you would at least think about the proven commodity. 

That leaves 25 teams who would be at the very least interested in exploring Watson if he was available.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Good one. Thanks. Bledsoe always "played old" so I'm surprised to find that he was still under 30. He wasn't playing at Watson's level now, but he was at maybe ... Stafford level?

Bledsoe had actually turned 30 prior to the trade, but he was still in his prime.

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Bledsoe had actually turned 30 prior to the trade, but he was still in his prime.

Good point. "Prime" is a difficult determination for QBs. It's not like RBs or CBs where it's pretty clear that virtually 100% hit their peak in their mid-20s and then begin to decline, whether slowly or quickly. 

I guess I should rephrase my question: when's the last time a QB who was still at his peak (no signs of age/injury decline) traded?

8 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

He’s better than Josh and a top 3 or 5 QB. They trade him and they may be trading a future hall of famer. 

He is not better than Josh.  Only Mahomes and Rogers are even in the conversation.  He can't make the throws those 3 guys make. He is a top 5 QB though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Despite my post, I personally would not trade Watson unless I didn't have much choice, he is a young QB and already top 5 in the league.  However, if I was Watson, I would 100% want to be traded.  That team has been set back several years by the bad decisions of the old regime.  They just don't have the draft capital for a quick rebuild, and its a total rebuild outside Watson.  The defense is atrocious and they have limited talent around him on the offense.

But, if there was ever a year to do it in terms of Houston, they could really reload draft picks and possibly also get back a young prospect in Darnold or Tua in a haul from Jets or Miami, or even land Trevor if Jags entered the mix.  If I am Jets or Miami, I am all in on trying to get Watson if he somehow becomes available.  I would also do it if I am Jags, as good of a prospect Trevor is, he is still just a prospect vs a proven top 5 QB who is still young.   

Why would Watson demand a trade to the Jets? He wants to go from a team that had its second losing season since 2014 THIS YEAR to a team that was almost winless?

Think these things through bro.

Edited by FireChans

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Why would Watson demand a trade to the Jets? He wants to go from a team that had its second losing season since 2014 THIS YEAR to a team that was almost winless?

Think these things through bro.

Because Watson doesn't seem to approve of the new Texans GM, if the Jets were to hire Daboll and bring in a better GM, I can easily see how he would view the Jets as a better destination than Houston.  And I did say earlier if Watson did push for a trade, then I think a team like the Dolphins is who he would push for out of the teams that would most likely be interested with the cap space and ammo to make it happen.  They got a good Coach and GM there right now with a good defense and are coming off a 10 win season with Fitz and Tua at QB.  He immediately makes them a contender.  

But in the end, he doesn't seem happy with the GM selection, and if he doesn't believe in the GM (who also has to take the job with no first round picks because of past moves) to rebuild the team, than anywhere else will look better.  Plus Jets are a bigger market too.  

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

The Texans should be all over this if they can get the jets first two picks and if they think fields is a dude. They’re just so devoid of picks and talent 

Huge call to take Fields and trade away Watson. Fields doesn't just have to be good to make that work. He has to be elite. Watson is on that elite / very good borderline. There are max 4 guys better than that. You have to be convinced Fields is crashing that group.

I would maybe make that trade if Jacksonville called and I was getting a shot at Lawrence. To get a shot at Fields? No way. Too big of a risk.

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Because Watson doesn't seem to approve of the new Texans GM, if the Jets were to hire Daboll and bring in a better GM, I can easily see how he would view the Jets as a better destination than Houston.  And I did say earlier if Watson did push for a trade, then I think a team like the Dolphins is who he would push for out of the teams that would most likely be interested with the cap space and ammo to make it happen.  They got a good Coach and GM there right now with a good defense and are coming off a 10 win season with Fitz and Tua at QB.  He immediately makes them a contender.  

But in the end, he doesn't seem happy with the GM selection, and if he doesn't believe in the GM (who also has to take the job with no first round picks because of past moves) to rebuild the team, than anywhere else will look better.  Plus Jets are a bigger market too.  

The Jets just won 2 games. They just fired their head coach. Their new GM kinda sucks. They have a bad OL and a super bare cupboard. 

Watson told the Texans he wants Fuller back. You think he wants to go play with those “weapons” (I use the term extremely loosely) in NY? 

Like come on. Coaches barely want to go to NY, let alone great QB’s trying to compete.

Edited by FireChans

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

The Texans should be all over this if they can get the jets first two picks and if they think fields is a dude. They’re just so devoid of picks and talent 

Yeah, this isnt as crazy for the Texans as many here making it out to be.  Texans have nothing to rebuild with except Watson.  They dont have the draft picks thanks to OBrien, they dont have talent on their roster, thanks to O'Brien.  

I personally would do everything I could to keep Watson, however, its also not crazy.  If Houston can get BOTH Jets first round picks, including the #2 overall, and also get back Darnold who still has upside and could benefit from a change of scenery, well thats not a crazy plan.  They could still draft a QB at #2 as well if they want.  

And honestly, they may be able to get to also get next years first round pick the Jets own from Seattle too making it a 3 first round pick haul potentially if Jets really wanted to make it happen.  Dolphins can put a similar package together using the 4th overall pick and throwing in Tua as well.  

This isnt as crazy as some are making it out to be for the Texans.