1990 Bills and 2020 Bills coincidence??

Herc11

Not sure if this has been talked about. Im a ICU nurse and I only have time to skim topics most days now.

Maybe coincidence, maybe its fate. Buffalo started their SB run in 1990, in what city? Tampa.  

Are we on a path to Tampa to start another run 30 years later in 2020?? This team sure looks like its going to make some noise this decade.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

What I'm worried about is that the 2020 version of the 1990 Bills, is the Chiefs.  The loaded team that has everything working.  When the 1990-era Bills were so dominant, other teams would bubble up for a year or two to pose a challenge, then fall back.  It wasn't really until Kelly retired that the Bills lost that edge. My fear is that the 2020-era Bills will be like one of those other teams, and bubble up for a year or two to challenge the Chiefs before falling back.

The Bills are playing really well now, AND they don't have a serious covid problem, AND there aren't many injured players unavailable at the end of the season -- almost a miracle, actually.  The Chiefs have lost Edwards-Hillaire and that's a pretty significant blow.  If the Bills get through Week 17 and win two home playoff games without many more injuries, they'll be in good shape to challenge KC.

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

What I'm worried about is that the 2020 version of the 1990 Bills, is the Chiefs.  The loaded team that has everything working.  When the 1990-era Bills were so dominant, other teams would bubble up for a year or two to pose a challenge, then fall back.  It wasn't really until Kelly retired that the Bills lost that edge. My fear is that the 2020-era Bills will be like one of those other teams, and bubble up for a year or two to challenge the Chiefs before falling back.

The Bills are playing really well now, AND they don't have a serious covid problem, AND there aren't many injured players unavailable at the end of the season -- almost a miracle, actually.  The Chiefs have lost Edwards-Hillaire and that's a pretty significant blow.  If the Bills get through Week 17 and win two home playoff games without many more injuries, they'll be in good shape to challenge KC.

Not worried about that at all.

The Bills have a franchise QB, star talent on their roster, coaching staff, front office and ownership.

Buckle up. This is going to be a long, satisfying, ride.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Not worried about that at all.

The Bills have a franchise QB, star talent on their roster, coaching staff, front office and ownership.

Buckle up. This is going to be a long, satisfying, ride.

I hope you're right.  But a lot can go wrong.  The NFL is designed to let teams get better quickly but not stay on top.  The Patriots and the Chiefs, like the Bills of 30 years ago, are doing a very hard thing, staying on top.

There are more challenges now.  Top QBs make so much money after their rookie years (again KC seems to be managing -- but Seattle gutted their defense to pay Wilson).  Coordinators move -- will the Bills offense be so hard to stop if Daboll leaves for a HC job?  Frazier should be getting HC consideration too -- what would his potential departure do to the team?  The Bills got really lucky at right tackle, with Williams, but probably can't afford to keep him, also Feliciano is the only real road-grader on the O ljne and he's a FA too. 

Also the Bills pulled some games out of their butts this year.  We easily could have lost the first Pats game and the Rams game, which could have made them part of the pack trying to squeeze into the playoffs this year. 

I am enjoying the hell out of this year because I know nothing about the future is guaranteed.  I agree the Bills look well-positioned for the future.  Still, a lot can go wrong.  I don't see any reason why the Bills shouldn't EXPECT to get to the SB this year, and I think the Bills, Chiefs, and Titans all look better than any NFC team.  This could be the year.

Herc11, 1st, yes but only better, 

2nd, we owe you and every other health care professional big time, thank you so very much!

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

Not sure if this has been talked about. Im a ICU nurse and I only have time to skim topics most days now.

Can't be easy doing what you do right now.  Be well, be safe and Happy New Year!

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

Maybe coincidence, maybe its fate. Buffalo started their SB run in 1990, in what city? Tampa.  

Are we on a path to Tampa to start another run 30 years later in 2020?? This team sure looks like its going to make some noise this decade.

Go Bills!

Yeah we've been talking about that at our game day gatherings.........I don't really believe in fate and such in football(if one needs proof see "the greatest comeback" and then getting routed in SB)...........but the parallels are very interesting.

It was fun being a Bills fan then but in general we went back to war, the economy was bad and the music was grungy and angry and kinda' depressing reflecting that. The next few years are going to be rough for a lot of people as well.........but everything 90's was going to come back in style in pop culture in the 2020's anyway to cash in on the teens of that decade..........so expect more deja vu.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

Go Bills!

Thank you for your work!  God bless you.  Stay as safe as you can.

I'll take another Super Bowl in Tampa.

One interesting fact for those who were around was our country was in a huge crisis in 1990 also. It was the start of the Gulf war. I remember that they interrupted the AFC championship game to go live in Baghdad with bombs going off. The usual 2 weeks super bowl break was only a week. Everybody was on high alert with bomb checks instead of covid test. It was a tense time but the country really pulled together and became one the second Whittney Houston sang the National Anthem.  We were all American's. It would have been a perfect day except for a difference of 6 feet.

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Toss the fear and have some faith. 

3 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Go Bills!

big difference...

1990 Bills were a favorite.

2020 Bills many experts thought they wouldn’t make the playoffs.

I went to the 91 AFC championship game.....

6 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

big difference...

1990 Bills were a favorite.

2020 Bills many experts thought they wouldn’t make the playoffs.

I went to the 91 AFC championship game.....

The 2020 Bills were the clear division favorite in Vegas(and in Buffalo) and tied with TN for 5th best odds to reach the SB in the AFC.

The 1990 Bills were tied with the Browns for second best SB odds from the AFC at +1200..........Denver was the clear favorite at +700.

The biggest difference is that preseason nobody on the planet thought any AFC team had a snowballs chance against the NFC winner in the SB in January 1991...........which along with the underachieving nature of the 1989 Bickering Bills and a week two 30-7 blowout by the Dolphins didn't exactly have expectations thru the roof early on.

The crazy game against the defending AFC champs Denver changed all of that............but there wasn't much more anticipation around that team than this one IMO.

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Denver Broncos were a pretty strong team...much like the Chiefs...having even gone to three super bowls before us.   

The Dolphins were always a tough team and right up there.

Well the difference is, is that THIS Bills team will WIN a Super Bowl. I'm not going to guess at how many and all that, but I truly believe this Bills team will win at least 1 Super Bowl. 

And it may very well be this one. This is hands down a championship caliber team. 

12 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Go Bills!

Thank you for everything you do.

Another coincidence is the year before, in 1989, the Bills lost a heartbreaker to Cleveland in the playoffs in their first game. Last year the Bills lost a heartbreaker to Houston in their first game. The following year, after the Cleveland loss, the Bills went 13-3 on their way to the SB. Sunday we have a chance to get to 13-3. The only difference is we have to win this game to get to 13-3 where the Bills that year just packed it in on week 17.