Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

Unfortunately, the only real way to answer whether resting starters in the last game of the season is a good decision is AFTER you play the playoff game that comes next.  If you rested starters and lose the playoff game, it was a bad decision (blame placed on rust).  If you didn't rest starters, suffer key injuries, and lose the playoff game, it was a bad decision (blame placed on injuries).  

Since everything in advance is conjecture, our current positions on this really come down to which we are more worried about, injuries or loss of momentum.    The 2011 Packers rested Rodgers, then lost their first playoff game.  The Bengals rested starters in 2005 and 2009, followed by losses in their first playoff games.  In the old days 😉 Belichick always played his starters and had pretty good success.   

I think McDermott is more worried about injuries and will rest key starters for most if not all of the game.  Time will tell if that conservative strategy works...

Just now, wjag said:

And of course, Yolo has the definitive answer...

I do not like that answer. 

The last thing I want is the Bill's exposed to this.

If I were to Bill's front office, I would want video proof that Fitz had no contact with any other player yesterday in practice before I send my players out on a field on Sunday. 

1 minute ago, JTown said:

I do not like that answer. 

The last thing I want is the Bill's exposed to this.

If I were to Bill's front office, I would want video proof that Fitz had no contact with any other player yesterday in practice before I send my players out on a field on Sunday. 

They aren't catching it in games its the last thing you have to worry about.  

Just hope all our guys really double down on their own bubbles.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

Unfortunately, the only real way to answer whether resting starters in the last game of the season is a good decision is AFTER you play the playoff game that comes next.  If you rested starters and lose the playoff game, it was a bad decision (blame placed on rust).  If you didn't rest starters, suffer key injuries, and lose the playoff game, it was a bad decision (blame placed on injuries).  

Since everything in advance is conjecture, our current positions on this really come down to which we are more worried about, injuries or loss of momentum.    The 2011 Packers rested Rodgers, then lost their first playoff game.  The Bengals rested starters in 2005 and 2009, followed by losses in their first playoff games.  In the old days 😉 Belichick always played his starters and had pretty good success.   

I think McDermott is more worried about injuries and will rest key starters for most if not all of the game.  Time will tell if that conservative strategy works...

Oh, I see we now have to also worry about CoVid with the Fitzpatrick news.   That skews things heavily towards resting starters...

• Like (+1) 1

I don't get the thinking (on the part of the Dolphins) about Tua not being considered a close contact, in particular given the article on ESPN several days ago about Fitz being viewed as a mentor, how they're in the same room together, etc.

But given that this is the way that the game will play out, hit 'em heavy early on, then literally pull in the rug and bring in the backups.  It would be absolutely Billsy for this team to have a COVID breakout in a year where that dark horse Super Bowl contenders thing finally becomes a reality.  And this squad has been anything but Billsy for the vast majority of this season.

Edited by Groin

18 minutes ago, Big C said:

Really don't see how Tua isn't a close contact, but I think I speak for everyone when I say BUBBLE UP JOSH and rest as many starters as possible this week. 

Yeldon tested positive and Singletary and Moss weren’t considered close contact.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

They aren't catching it in games its the last thing you have to worry about.  

Just hope all our guys really double down on their own bubbles.  

Please explain to me why you think that it cannot be transferred in a game.